Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrupt USBs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting corrupt USBs with Sentry Mode?

I've bricked a 32GB USB.

Get errors trying to format with Mac. Spent 1 hour on web trying to format but it seems impossible.

Any Ideas?

Erasing “USB DISK 3.0 Media” (disk3) and creating “Untitled”

Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Unable to write to the last block of the device. : (-69760)

A
Anyone else getting corrupt USBs with Sentry Mode?

I've bricked a 32GB USB.

Get errors trying to format with Mac. Spent 1 hour on web trying to format but it seems impossible.

Any Ideas?

Erasing “USB DISK 3.0 Media” (disk3) and creating “Untitled”

Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Unable to write to the last block of the device. : (-69760)
As a Mac user myself I hate to suggest this, but try formatting it on a Windoze machine. I’ve had success doing that with a drive the Mac wouldn’t format.

USB needs to be formatted FAT32.
I use a Windows PC for that.
If you have a large USB (I think greater than 32Gb (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) it helps if you download some free software to do the formatting. I used EaseUS Partition Master - I'm sure there are others that can perform the task.

On a Mac, the built in DiskUtility is fine for this. Make sure you're formatting the disk, not a volume inside the disk (if you can't see the right options, make sure you have selected View > Show all Devices rather than Show only Volumes

Then

teslacam_diskutility.jpg

Which reformats the Disk, and creates a FAT32 volume on it

teslacam_diskutility_after.jpg

Then, in Finder, create a folder on it called "TeslaCam" and shove it into the car's USB port

teslacam_folder.jpg

Last edited:
On a Mac, the built in DiskUtility is fine for this. Make sure you're formatting the disk, not a volume inside the disk (if you can't see the right options, make sure you have selected View > Show all Devices rather than Show only Volumes

Then

teslacam_diskutility.jpg

Which reformats the Disk, and creates a FAT32 volume on it

teslacam_diskutility_after.jpg

Then, in Finder, create a folder on it called "TeslaCam" and shove it into the car's USB port

teslacam_folder.jpg
I tried that and it worked first time, then stopped working and now formatting gives error. I’ll try at work tomorrow on a pc

I have only had my model 3 for 6 weeks but came across all these problems so have decided to help people along by selling ready formatted sub sticks for viewing on your android or smart phone. Please go on eBay and search for "tesla dashcam. My adverts have the silver tesla badge.

I have 4 usb sticks, 2 32GB and 2 64 Gb that all ended up with the Tesla Cam forlder deleted and a ghosted A folder placed on them. When I use a 500 GB Samsung SSD, the same thing happened. I have not had a good video from the Sentry or DashCam since 2019.40.50.7 was applied. It worked before then.