Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corvettes hacked and brakes disabled using insurance dongle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure if you rip open the dash board of any car, you can add a remote device that can do similar things to what they did to the Tesla. It's not on the same order of the Jeep and insurance dongle hack (one of which doesn't even require the hacker to be in the same general area as the car, the other doesn't require any physical modifications or access).

As for the whole terminology debate, I guess you can call what they did to the Tesla a "hack" (where are many different definitions).

As for the whole corvette thing, it is pretty scary. I would have considered adding such a dongle to my car, but given that I definitely will hesitate (as will lots of people).

Last edited:
I guess I'm saying the meat of the post is the same if you ignore the mention of Tesla. Why is 11 words of the overall post (which are fairly tangential) such a hot topic? Because this is a Tesla forum?

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of threads in this forum where sensationalist headlines are talked about. It shouldn't be a surprise if we discuss it again. Unnecessary sensationalism will likely always be called out. Yep, it's a Tesla forum. That doesn't change any facts. Easily the post could have left out those unnecessary 11 words, as you point out, and not have lost a thing.

And not even remotely the same.

Honestly you have nothing useful to contribute to this thread. You hijacked the thread and completely changed the discussion off topic. All three hacks have the ability to change enable disable critical subsystems of the vehicle while driving. I don't give a crap what the differences or severities are. This thread was to discuss the latest hack using insurance dongles. If you want to discuss the differences between the hacks do so in your own thread.

It's a hack nonetheless but yes the Tesla one is much different requiring physical access and advanced knowledge. Still a hack though. Corvette one requires physical plug in with the insurance dongle too. I'm not differentiating between them bc that's not my point. A hack is a hack.

How about if I say a bug is a bug when comparing a programming error in one of those mission critical real time systems you work on to a programming error in a game app for the iPhone? They're the same, right, since they are both software bugs?

So, looking at the Corvette’s brakes hacked using an insurance dongle and SMS link from the OP, I see that the 'hacks' were lumped together and the insurance dongle 'hack' also requires physical access to the car to get at the "CAN BUS" (isn't that usually CAN bus?).

So the vector is an insecure insurance dongle providing access to the CAN bus and basically any car with a CAN bus is now 'hackable'.

Seems the insecure part is the insurance thing, or the overall security of anything that provides access to the CAN bus.

How about if I say a bug is a bug when comparing a programming error in one of those mission critical real time systems you work on to a programming error in a game app for the iPhone? They're the same, right, since they are both software bugs?

Poor example.. Both are indeed bugs. The fallout from each bug is significantly different in scale however. I think it's already been agreed that one hack is easier to pull off than the other, but both are hacks. Can we move on?

So, looking at the Corvette’s brakes hacked using an insurance dongle and SMS link from the OP, I see that the 'hacks' were lumped together and the insurance dongle 'hack' also requires physical access to the car to get at the "CAN BUS" (isn't that usually CAN bus?).

So the vector is an insecure insurance dongle providing access to the CAN bus and basically any car with a CAN bus is now 'hackable'.

Seems the insecure part is the insurance thing, or the overall security of anything that provides access to the CAN bus.

From my understanding text messages could be sent to the device to perform the "hack", no? If so, then yeah, physical access was needed, but not by the attacker, just the victim.