Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Premium Internet Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO it would be nice if the SuperChargers had wifi access for the cars at least. Say be able to use the upcoming video streaming in the screens while charging. Let it be a closed SSID that only the cars can use. Also use to download updates while the car charges.

btw I hope "premium internet" isn't what we are seeing with the free trial. I wouldn't pay for the access the free trial provides.

You wouldn't pay $100/year for unlimited streaming, podcasts, realtime traffic, updates, and internet browser access? Consider the pricing of other LTE streaming prices... $100/year is cheap honestly. Yeah some people complain Slacker is crappy (and yes I would prefer Spotify too), but the pricing is very fair in my opinion.

Reactions: Jedi2155
You wouldn't pay $100/year for unlimited streaming, podcasts, realtime traffic, updates, and internet browser access? Consider the pricing of other LTE streaming prices... $100/year is cheap honestly. Yeah some people complain Slacker is crappy (and yes I would prefer Spotify too), but the pricing is very fair in my opinion.

Maybe you missed my earlier post saying it is a good deal. But if you are getting really spotty service or no service at all, I wouldn't. I already contribute that to Verizon and Comcast.

I tend to agree with CAAD. The premium internet is not as reliable as I would have hoped. I’ve hardly been able to connect to the internet and also have problems loading streaming music. I live in DC Metro area so it’s not because i’m out in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: crackers8199
Maybe you missed my earlier post saying it is a good deal. But if you are getting really spotty service or no service at all, I wouldn't. I already contribute that to Verizon and Comcast.

In the US they all use AT&T... which has one of the best coverage maps of any of the providers in the US. Obviously there's gaps in coverage for every provider. Maybe your luck isn't as great as others... I've had no issue even in more remote areas...but then again I live in AT&T country.

Obviously if you never get AT&T reception on your Tesla then you shouldn't pay the $100/yr... but it's hard for Tesla to really do much. Every car provider has the same problem. It's possible you could do dual providers like AT&T + Verizon or something, but then the cost is substantially increased. Dual modems, dual antennas, and two data contracts...

Does that actually work currently? I thought it disables WiFi when you start driving? Not a problem since we always have mobile currently... but may be an issue once the year rolls around.

Wifi disconnects when you start driving the car, but you can click LTE and click on the wifi hotspot then. At least this is how it works on my S. I haven't tried on the 3 yet.

In the US they all use AT&T... which has one of the best coverage maps of any of the providers in the US. Obviously there's gaps in coverage for every provider. Maybe your luck isn't as great as others... I've had no issue even in more remote areas...but then again I live in AT&T country.

Obviously if you never get AT&T reception on your Tesla then you shouldn't pay the $100/yr... but it's hard for Tesla to really do much. Every car provider has the same problem. It's possible you could do dual providers like AT&T + Verizon or something, but then the cost is substantially increased. Dual modems, dual antennas, and two data contracts...
I have AT&T on my phone, the Tesla has on several occasions not been able to connect to a cell tower while my phone had full bars.

Does that actually work currently? I thought it disables WiFi when you start driving? Not a problem since we always have mobile currently... but may be an issue once the year rolls around.

Yes, you can, which I do any time the Tesla can't seem to find a connection, I switch on my hotspot and use wifi instead.

As an alternative to the $100/premium connectivity, you can always pay for mobile hotspot on your phone and use that to wifi tether to the car.

Actually Tesla has specifically said that that won't work to get you all of the features. (I assume that the fee covers more than just the data costs, but probably the streaming service cost as well as the satellite maps and traffic data costs.)