Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Tesla Solar Roof Tiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally someone gets the math right on the solar roof tiles.
Why Tesla's Solar Roof Is A Bad Buy
A regular on Reddit fixed the chart for Tesla :cool:

upload_2017-5-16_0-23-43.png

I have been anxiously awaiting the solar roof but I have to say in my area and with my home usage, the math is NOT making much sense.
Tesla website comes out with $77 cost of the solar roof. I can get a new roof for 30k and some solar panel (old school) estimates cime in around 20k or so. But my monthly bills and usage, even if I factor in buying a model S or 3 (as I anticiapte by the end of the year) and all the max tax benefits, the savings are almost nothing and added cost is the 4% interest I'd pay on the HELOC for it all.

I have been anxiously awaiting the solar roof but I have to say in my area and with my home usage, the math is NOT making much sense.
Tesla website comes out with $77 cost of the solar roof. I can get a new roof for 30k and some solar panel (old school) estimates cime in around 20k or so. But my monthly bills and usage, even if I factor in buying a model S or 3 (as I anticiapte by the end of the year) and all the max tax benefits, the savings are almost nothing and added cost is the 4% interest I'd pay on the HELOC for it all.

There is no economic reason to get a 4% HELOC for any Solar project. Prices have come down sharply and at 2.5/W now, even less - a solar PV system is cost effective to drive down power-grid prices. In Buffalo, that's National Grid and effectively is a foreign company out of the UK owning our energy distribution. National Grid plc - Wikipedia Being foreign-owned, they have a vested interest in return on investment. But a 4% loan to pay for the Solar Roof because it looks better than an asphalt roof + nice-looking PV modules is hardly a good reason to do it. Plus, the 30% of tax credit taken for much of the $77k, possibly dual-use treatment, project is a problem in my view for the IRS and Federal tax system. Pay cash for a PV project and reap the 30+ year benefits. (except the added cost of an inverter replacement out in the 15-year window).

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Just in case anyone missed it, Consumer Reports magazine just published a multi-page article on Tesla solar roof tiles.
It didn't answer many of my questions, but it's more information than I've seen anywhere else thus far.
Would be interested to read it, but not interested enough to subscribe for the privilege.