Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cost per charge at home ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016-09 Solar Panels (2).JPG

Reactions: nwdiver and Canuck
Seems fair to include the ~ 43 cents per kWh you received for agreeing to time shift, so your per kWh charge is 11 - 43 = -32 cents and a 100 miles recharge pads your pocket with $9.60

Not bad ;-)
Actually, the lower kWh rate may be more correct. Before I changed to TOU with SCE in order to charge my car at a low rate, I talked to SCE customer service and had them run comparatives on representative winter and summer weeks during the previous year before getting my Tesla; TOU vs my then existing tiered rates. Lo and behold, TOU would have cost me $25 less for the year than my existing tiered rates, despite the much higher weekday afternoon-evening peak rates.

I got something wrong....we have a 240v charger in the garage. In past couple years put in 2 HVAC split AC/Heat units, electric stove and have the 70D. We also have solar. Our usage went up average $83/month from before we put in any of these systems. Cost is .10/Kwh
We cut one tree down in back and getting a few more panels. I know cost per mile is cheaper and MUCH less pollution with our current system. Something I am missing?? HVAC use more juice than I thought?? I am going to put a meter on the charger to REALLY see how much juice it uses..travel is 50 round trip per day at most.

I got something wrong....we have a 240v charger in the garage. In past couple years put in 2 HVAC split AC/Heat units, electric stove and have the 70D. We also have solar. Our usage went up average $83/month from before we put in any of these systems. Cost is .10/Kwh
We cut one tree down in back and getting a few more panels. I know cost per mile is cheaper and MUCH less pollution with our current system. Something I am missing?? HVAC use more juice than I thought?? I am going to put a meter on the charger to REALLY see how much juice it uses..travel is 50 round trip per day at most.
Amazing that you have ten cents per kW for electricity. We pay 48c per kW in the afternoons and early evenings.
What size solar system do you have on your roof?

I go to car shows and other events and at times I get the question how much does it cost per charge at home, increase in electric bill, ect....
We have solar panels, got them month before Model S. Because we get energy from the panels too, I can't calculate how much energy I am using nor the cost straight up.
Anybody have figures on this using Massachusetts costs??

The cost to charge at home for me is $0 or less than $0 as on some months I get paid by PG&E to charge my car for free given my drastically lowered PG&E rates with the EV-A rate.

My next door neighbor gets a much steeper discount given that his PG&E bill was in the $900 range and now with his Leaf it's in the $300 range with the same usage, so he's leasing a car for $200 bucks a month and saving himself $600 a month on usage so he's driving a car for free and netting $400 / month.

Reactions: EinSV
The most common question I get is "How far can you go?" By which they mean "How far can you go before you run out of juice?"
I like your simple approach. I tell them I can go as far as I want. They often look puzzled which gets their attention. Then I tell them I am 73 years old and can only go an hour and a half before I have to pee. Superchargers are conveniently located along Interstate 5 and in the time it takes me to pee I have another 100 miles on the battery.

Tell us why you made that choice. Was it your choice or did those come with the solar panel company you chose? Did your company give you a choice of panels? Do you have a separate inverter box?

I choose the Panasonic panels because of the watts per square foot. I was challenged by no have a ton of space facing south so I need the most energy dense panels I could get. I could even get a quote on sunpower 345w so the Panasonic was there next best thing. My understanding is that the sun power where expensive. Just a single inverter, the panels do it have micro inverters but do have the diode bypass for dealing with shaded panels better. Not an expert on how that works but I get a bit if shade late I'm the afternoon and it will be worse in the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett