Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Import from US? Possible? Not worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
get the tesla in new hampshire, no state tax. I bought a us car in 2008 in Ohio when the cdn $ was 1.05 from a honda dealership and never paid state tax.
easiest process ever to import the vehicle. saved about 8k.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but will tesla honour the warranty if imported? In 2008 a lot of oem manufacturers were explicitly saying they wouldn't warranty the vehicle if it was imported into canada. That was done more to protect the dealer network so might not be an issue.

Reactions: ElGringo
I spoke with Tesla about this, 2 stores: Detroit and Cleveland.

They both confirm that I could not buy a car from them as a Canadian. I asked if it was a state by state issue and was told I would be directed to a Canadian store for delivery.

Has anyone had success with this? All things aside, my MY LR works out to $9700 in savings. I’ll make it work covid or no covid to save $10k!

I Imported a slightly used Jetta GLI back in 2008 from the US, since it was being sold for export I did not pay local taxes (PA), they shipped it to Watertown NY area for me. I saved over $10k, drove it for 2 years and sold it for the same price as I paid
Import process was quite easy and simple