Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Import from US? Possible? Not worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it can make sense to import from the US. Can it? I believe we pay import tax + HST when registering the vehicle.

But, to me....something is off with Tesla and their US/Canada Pricing.

Take, for example, Model Y pre-order.

Model Y Long Range AWD - $52,990 USD
Converted at today's exchange that's $70,168.83

The exact same vehicle purchased from Tesla Canada
72,390 + HST = $81,000

14% markup.

Or the Model 3 Long Canada

Model 3 LR AWD - $48,990 USD
Converted at today's exchange 64,880.40

65,990 + HST = Just under 75K

14% Markup

Consider Apple and all of their products.

16" Macbook Pro

2,799.00 Converted at today's exchange = $3705
The same model from Apple Canada - 3,953.87 Cdn HST Included

6% markup

In some cases, Tesla is closer to 20-23%
Apple is closer to 3-4% difference.

I do know Apple is continuously updating for conversion rates, but I don't think Tesla is......

You cannot include the HST in your equation. You would have to pay it if you imported the vehicle from the US too.
ALL American companies that sell in $CDN ( except commodities) will put a price in play in Canada based on a spot price. Until the currency moves significantly enough, it stays the same.
For the Model Y its a 3% difference ($72,390/$70,169)
For the Model 3 it's a 1.7% difference ($65,990/$64,880)

There have been times where the Canadian price is better

The Canadian models are different than the US ones. They need to have day time running lights, different seat belt clips, and a Canadian recognized immobilizing alarm. Plus a bunch of other labeling (French and English). If you were to import a US Tesla, you'd have to add the cost of the changes required....and pay the HST at the border.

The Tesla price is reasonable

Where there may be some difference is in the resale market. At times there are differences between Canada and US prices. You can now import used Teslas into Canada , where previously, only the original Roadster was available to import.

Last edited:
You cannot include the HST in your equation. You would have to pay it if you imported the vehicle from the US too.
ALL American companies that sell in $CDN ( except commodities) will put a price in play in Canada based on a spot price. Until the currency moves significantly enough, it stays the same.
For the Model Y its a 3% difference ($72,390/$70,169)
For the Model 3 it's a 1.7% difference ($65,990/$64,880)

There have been times where the Canadian price is better

The Canadian models are different than the US ones. They need to have day time running lights, different seat belt clips, and a Canadian recognized immobilizing alarm. Plus a bunch of other labeling (French and English). If you were to import a US Tesla, you'd have to add the cost of the changes required....and pay the HST at the border.

The Tesla price is reasonable
Importing a car is also a PITA, I would be fine never doing that again

I would have to pay HST if I imported it, but I'm saying an American can buy any Tesla 17% cheaper. I just have to keep it in Michigan :)
Your conclusion has nothing to do with Tesla's pricing, and everything to do with the fact that we pay more taxes (sales tax, income tax, etc) in Canada vs the US. As DMC-Orangeville pointed out, the actual price difference is only a few % which is 'reasonable'. Look at the difference in price for an ICE car across the border, and I think you'll find a much bigger delta.....

Not sure if Tesla is the same as 'regular' dealerships in this regard, but there is a somewhat unwritten rule that a dealership wont sell a 'new' car to a canadian. I'm half convinced I'm right about that, a buddy told me once that while you can go across the border and buy a new car, then have it imported, dealerships wont sell you the car.....used cars are a different story though.

I initially thought your question was regarding importing a used Tesla to save some $, and I think even in that situation its not worth the extra time and effort unless you get a screaming deal on one.

I don't think it can make sense to import from the US. Can it? I believe we pay import tax + HST when registering the vehicle.
But, to me....something is off with Tesla and their US/Canada Pricing.
Take, for example, Model Y pre-order.
Model Y Long Range AWD - $52,990 USD
Converted at today's exchange that's $70,168.83
72,390 + HST = $81,000
14% markup.

Or the Model 3 Long Canada
Model 3 LR AWD - $48,990 USD
Converted at today's exchange 64,880.40
65,990 + HST = Just under 75K
14% Markup
Canadian prices include $1390 in delivery and other fees.
So after removing $1390, your Canadian prices should be:
$71,000 for the Y LR AWD
and
$64,600 for the 3 LR AWD
US prices are just MSRP before all the other fees are added (delivery, state taxes).
So, a fair comparison should be like this:
Y: $52,990 USD vs $71,000 CAD
3: $48,990 USD vs $64,600 CAD
You will see that after converting USD to CAD, the difference is not significant at all. Actually I just noticed that for Model 3, the $48,990 USD converts today to $65,147 CAD which is actually higher than Canadian MSRP ($64,600 CAD).

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
At the border they charge 5% GST. + $ 350.00 RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) fee. You will also have to get an Ontario Safety certificate.
Then at Service Ontario you pay 8% PST to get it licensed.+ license sticker fee + $ 100 A/C fee.

How do I know? I have imported a few vehicles (not Tesla) less than 15 years old.

Reactions: sakimano
The problem is to get Tesla to play ball on the modifications. I moved to Canada in 2018 when the S and X were inadmissible, so couldn't even bring it over through importing. Now they are admissible into Canada via import, but Tesla hasn't released anything to the SCs AFAIK (I checked with a service manager about a month ago). According to that service manager, Tesla may need proof that one is relocating to Canada in order to get the modifications done through them, but not sure if they can do that. Still, I think it's a PITA to import one just to save a few cents, or might not even come out ahead given the various costs. The only attractiveness of importing is if you are really moving from the US to Canada, like I was and I probably lost 20k just by selling and buying again here, or you are looking at the used ones from Tesla, as there are way more to choose from, but if you compare the two, the pricing in the US isn't actually better.
Anyways, I have yet to see a successful case of someone importing a used US Tesla to Canada. I guess only time will tell.

The problem is to get Tesla to play ball on the modifications. I moved to Canada in 2018 when the S and X were inadmissible, so couldn't even bring it over through importing. Now they are admissible into Canada via import, but Tesla hasn't released anything to the SCs AFAIK (I checked with a service manager about a month ago). According to that service manager, Tesla may need proof that one is relocating to Canada in order to get the modifications done through them, but not sure if they can do that. Still, I think it's a PITA to import one just to save a few cents, or might not even come out ahead given the various costs. The only attractiveness of importing is if you are really moving from the US to Canada, like I was and I probably lost 20k just by selling and buying again here, or you are looking at the used ones from Tesla, as there are way more to choose from, but if you compare the two, the pricing in the US isn't actually better.
Anyways, I have yet to see a successful case of someone importing a used US Tesla to Canada. I guess only time will tell.
Correct, they used to do Roadster modification from US specs to Canada. However, since Model S they now did explicitly said they no longer do specs conversion. I doubt they will make exception.

Although hardware wise, Model 3 specs is compliant with both US and Canada. I beleive all those Canada regulations are just a matter of new firmware, but Tesla still won't do it for you.

I imported a car from California before.
The car is made in Oakville, so it’s duty free as per NAFTA, not sure about how.

and I pay 13% tax (Ontario) on the market price of that car at the time of importation.

I drove that California car for a year in Ontario before importing it. I would prefer to drive a us car with us plate in Ontario. Cops don’t give you tickets and free hwy 407. But my California insurance was expiring and I can’t renew without an address.

I imported a car from California before.
The car is made in Oakville, so it’s duty free as per NAFTA, not sure about how.

and I pay 13% tax (Ontario) on the market price of that car at the time of importation.

I drove that California car for a year in Ontario before importing it. I would prefer to drive a us car with us plate in Ontario. Cops don’t give you tickets and free hwy 407. But my California insurance was expiring and I can’t renew without an address.
I thought it's just me that would move from California to Ontario, haha... Did you not have any issues with the cops? I heard OPP don't tolerate Canadians driving a US plated car.

I thought it's just me that would move from California to Ontario, haha... Did you not have any issues with the cops? I heard OPP don't tolerate Canadians driving a US plated car.

haha I used to work there. Did you used to work there too?

cops were ok with me. I’m in Markham area and we’ll one time I sped through speed trap(not used to Canadian speed limit yet) and the cop chase after me, got close, then all of a sudden fined it to stop the other car near me (also speeding). Think he saw my calif plate.
it’s extra paper work for them and Ontario cop can’t issues a ticket to calif driver license as well.

as for legality, us and Canadian plates are allowed to drove on either side. There’s an agreement or something. I bought that car in California with my Ontario driver license cause I have got the one from DMV yet. Lol

haha I used to work there. Did you used to work there too?

cops were ok with me. I’m in Markham area and we’ll one time I sped through speed trap(not used to Canadian speed limit yet) and the cop chase after me, got close, then all of a sudden fined it to stop the other car near me (also speeding). Think he saw my calif plate.
it’s extra paper work for them and Ontario cop can’t issues a ticket to calif driver license as well.

as for legality, us and Canadian plates are allowed to drove on either side. There’s an agreement or something. I bought that car in California with my Ontario driver license cause I have got the one from DMV yet. Lol
I'm from there, but moved to Toronto for a new job (and to escape from T****). It seems like it'll be a good idea for me to keep my Cali license as long as possible, haha...

My neighbour, who was the head of pediatrics at Stanford, decided to move back to Canada about 5 years ago. He had recently bought a Mercedes SL Cabriolet convertible. He had everything ready to import the car. A few weeks prior to his move, MB announced a recall for the car - with no date as to the fix (parts?). He couldn't import the car to Canada, prior to the recall being finished. MB just shrugged. Transport Canada said "get it fixed first".

His next call was up the ladder to MB. The fix was 6 months to 12 months away from happening. Period. They offered him "fair market value" to buy back the car. It was about 50% of the car's real value. After 2 weeks of "discussions", MB agreed to buy the car back at a level that reflected close to the current car value.

He moved to my neighbourhood and bought an Audi.......
It just shows you that even the little things can really mess up an importation.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
More than likely if you insure it and register it and one place and reside in another your insurance will be invalid if you have an accident. Tell your insurance company what your intentions are and ask if you are good to go. Not sure if I understood your intentions or not but if this is the case be careful. Insurance companies have a lot more lawyers than you.

Kinda curious, what is on that list of things...
teslas, most cars, hotels, medicine, cell phones, beef, bread, movie tickets, CDs (if you still buy em) etc.

our currency sat with US dollar parity about 5 years ago. Since then it has devalued 30%. Many automakers work on 5-7 year model cycles and haven't adjusted their CAD pricing significantly on many of their 2015-2016 launched cars yet so you're actually buying at a significant discount up here vs. the US.

lots of products are similar

Last edited: