Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Insure: 85 vs. P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing a bit of research, as I'm in the early stages of shopping for a CPO MS. While looking at different configurations, I noticed this from VIN Decoder | TeslaTap:

8th digit of VIN:

1 = Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction (Standard or Performance prior to 1-Aug-2015; Standard only starting 1-Aug-2015)

P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)

If I'm interpreting this correctly, VINs assigned to MS vehicles prior to August 2015 don't indicate whether the vehicle is an 85 or P85, as they used the same motor until that time.

· If this is the case, has there been any evidence found that the cost to insure these vehicles is equal?

· Is it safe to assume that a P85 made after 8/2015 is more costly to insure than an 85 from the same time frame?

· Have insurance carriers quoted any members' 2014 P85's as if they were 85's?

I want to avoid sticker shock when I choose a vehicle and reach out to my insurance carrier for a quote. I don't expect to pay the same premium as I do for my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but can handles something comparable to my Audi A7. If I need to eliminate Performance cars from my search results to remain grounded in reality, significantly increased insurance costs might do the trick. At the moment though, it's hard for me to ignore them when they're sometimes competitively priced with Standard models.

I appreciate any insight current owners can share regarding insurance costs to help me narrow my search. So far, here's what I've decided on:

Must-have:

· 2014 or above
· Pano/Sunroof
· UHFS
· Tech Package

Nice-to-have:

· Cold Weather Package
· Rear-Facing Seats
· Smart Air Suspension

Don’t Need:

· AP
· 21” Wheels

Who is your current insurer.. i think you'll find sticker shock with or with performance. Ive found, in my price comparisons, that some insurers dont look at that trim level detail... where some consider ALL of them performance, and others not.

You're going to be quoting a bunch anyway, so you might as well ask about both, theres a good chance your current insurer will drop a fat 3K per year on you for that car. Admittedly though, its been awhile since I quoted :)

Who is your current insurer.. i think you'll find sticker shock with or with performance. Ive found, in my price comparisons, that some insurers dont look at that trim level detail... where some consider ALL of them performance, and others not.

You're going to be quoting a bunch anyway, so you might as well ask about both, theres a good chance your current insurer will drop a fat 3K per year on you for that car. Admittedly though, its been awhile since I quoted :)

I'm currently with AllState. 3K/year is insane! That's 3x what I pay for 2 cars now! If that's typical for drivers in their late 30's, with excellent credit, a clean driving record and a rural home address, I'm screwed. All the prudent financial arguments of free charging at work and long maintenance intervals are out the window at that rate.

I'm currently with AllState. 3K/year is insane! That's 3x what I pay for 2 cars now! If that's typical for drivers in their late 30's, with excellent credit, a clean driving record and a rural home address, I'm screwed. All the prudent financial arguments of free charging at work and long maintenance intervals are out the window at that rate.

Funny that was my Allstate quote, others were in that range. Was with allstate for 10 years, 30 on the nose. 4 cars, my house, 2 motorcycles. Agent told me its the most expensive car they insure, he didnt blame me for leaving.

If that's typical for drivers in their late 30's, with excellent credit, a clean driving record and a rural home address, I'm screwed.

I'm all of those things. I pay about $1300/year for two cars, one of which being a 2016 MS 75. Ameriprise/Costco.

You'll get quotes all over the map. Never had such a wide range with any of my other cars. Many quotes are up there in the "we really have no interest in your business but if you're stupid enough to pay this much I suppose we'll take it" range.

I did price out some "P" models when I was shopping around, and they were usually higher. Sometimes dramatically so.

Was with allstate for 10 years, 30 on the nose. 4 cars, my house, 2 motorcycles. Agent told me its the most expensive car they insure, he didnt blame me for leaving.

I've been with them about the same amount of time, but I'll leave in a heartbeat if they're not competitive!

I'm all of those things. I pay about $1300/year for two cars, one of which being a 2016 MS 75. Ameriprise/Costco.

That's way more reasonable - I see I'll need to shop around. Maybe I'll use Selectquote?

USAA thinks my 2014 S85 is a performance model. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get them to understand it wasn't a performance model. They basically said they got their info from the NHTSA (if I remember correctly...it's been a while) and they couldn't possibly change it.

Still, USAA was much cheaper for me than the 6 or 8 other insurers I got quotes from in my attempt to leave USAA over this performance issue.

USAA thinks my 2014 S85 is a performance model. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get them to understand it wasn't a performance model. They basically said they got their info from the NHTSA (if I remember correctly...it's been a while) and they couldn't possibly change it.

Still, USAA was much cheaper for me than the 6 or 8 other insurers I got quotes from in my attempt to leave USAA over this performance issue.
Thanks for the info!

Has anyone gone through insuremytesla.com using the partnership with Liberty Mutual?

Did you ever get this issue with USAA resolved? I’m dealing with the same thing for my 2014 S85. The rep I just talked to claimed it would be more expensive to try and change it to what they have listed as the ‘standard battery’ as opposed to the ‘high capacity’ it registers as. Find that hard to believe.

I have USAA. When I did the quote online using various VIN numbers for the used cars I was looking at, the premium for the actual P85D was much cheaper than the 85D's they deemed to be "performance". Having the lower premium on that car made a huge difference in the choice I made. I'm paying about $1800/yr. It would have been over $2400/yr for the 85Ds I was looking at.