Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could bugs (insects) defeat FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can assess the credibility of the article from what it says: While there is much about the accounting around his businesses that is highly questionable and very possibly fraudulent, I think Musk is a true believer in most of the ideas he has brought forth, regardless of how outlandish many seem.

The rest of the article is just hubris for SEO for search engines and data mining traders.

Last edited:
I’ve had autopilot v1 for 135,000 miles (6 years).

Even though it’s just one camera, I have never had an instance where a bug or dirt or mud has obscured the camera. Bugs just don’t get stuck to the sloping smooth piece of glass.

I’ve also never seen or heard of it happening to anyone.

While theoretically it’s probably possible, in reality it is so rare that it hasn’t been reported even in many billions of miles of fleet driving.

This is just not a real concern.

Love Bug season
EP-190519732.jpg

Version types of crosswalks and bike lanes have proven to have issues with FSD.

We still have a long way to go. Enjoy what’s available at any particular time, pay constant attention, and don’t still over things.

Otherwise hold out a few more years.

Last thought to keep in mind is things like the vinyl sticker license plates available in California (and other places) which has proved to mess with FSD (and parking) if not placed perfectly due to the metallic particles for reflective properties.

Last edited:
I’ve had autopilot v1 for 135,000 miles (6 years).

Even though it’s just one camera, I have never had an instance where a bug or dirt or mud has obscured the camera. Bugs just don’t get stuck to the sloping smooth piece of glass.

I’ve also never seen or heard of it happening to anyone.

While theoretically it’s probably possible, in reality it is so rare that it hasn’t been reported even in many billions of miles of fleet driving.

This is just not a real concern.

Check some of Bjorn Nyland's videos, it happens to him regularly. He cleans his windscreen when he stops to charge and also clears smootz off the front radar.

Please provide a link where such an instance has caused his autopilot to malfunction. I’ll wait.

No.

He regularly has issues with it cutting out, and not just on Tesla cars, which is why he cleans it so often.

Obviously with full self driving if it cuts out and the car can't clean itself then it will be stranded, potentially a long way from where the owner is, maybe with paying passengers in the back if its in taxi mode, and based on current behaviour parked in the fast lane of the highway.