Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Driving Visualization with Zoom/Rotate Help in Tight Parking Situations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of expected tech missing from these cars, fair enough in 2012 but when they did the refresh I don't understand why they didn't update some of the tech as well.
Many cars 1/5th the price of a Tesla have surround view parking cameras, they have cross traffic warnings when reversing out of parking spots. I do like Tesla's parking warnings with the distance shown, I'll give them credit for that.

Reactions: DCEV
I thought AP 2.0 and better had more advanced ultrasonic sensors.

I too would love to get at least 2-3 more inches of data beyond 10 inches. When I pull into my garage, I need to be about 7 inches from the wall so unfortunately it means I need to drive a bit while the ultrasonic sensor just beeps STOP!

They really are building a driving visualization model with everything the car sees. It looks like Early Release customers can now see oncoming traffic.

Tesletter on Twitter

i would LOVE for the driving visualization data to show the location of objects in a 3D view when driving at slow speeds in tight parking situations so it overlays ultrasonic data with visual data.

Would really make up for not having bird's eye view. It stresses me out so much when driving the car in tight parking garages and I wish the ultrasonic and cameras provided a more useful view, especially when tolerances are less than 10 inches.

With the current state of all the jumpy, spinning, transforming cars into trucks in AP visualization, I wouldn't trust this at ALL to give any reasonable representation with accuracy. Jeez, when I pull into my garage, semi trucks appear in the AP screen in front and on the sides of my vehicle at times as I'm parking!

With the current state of all the jumpy, spinning, transforming cars into trucks in AP visualization, I wouldn't trust this at ALL to give any reasonable representation with accuracy. Jeez, when I pull into my garage, semi trucks appear in the AP screen in front and on the sides of my vehicle at times as I'm parking!

Ever think they are all there in a Parallel Universe and the car is smart enough to see them? :p

Seriously though you bring up a good point.

I'd settle for them showing ultrasonic readings down to 6 or 7 inches than the current 10 inches.

• Funny
Reactions: P100D_Me
There is a lot of expected tech missing from these cars, fair enough in 2012 but when they did the refresh I don't understand why they didn't update some of the tech as well.
Many cars 1/5th the price of a Tesla have surround view parking cameras, they have cross traffic warnings when reversing out of parking spots. I do like Tesla's parking warnings with the distance shown, I'll give them credit for that.

Yes, I really wish we had cameras in all 4 corners of the car. Would make it so much easier to park the car when the ultrasonics stop giving distances below 10 inches.

Actually what is concerning is that there must be plenty of Tesla engineers (even Elon himself) seeing this stuff happen day to day when they drive these cars and yet they either can't fix it or don't consider it a problem to be trying to fixing it. My bigger worry is if that is how the system is interpreting its surroundings how can it make driving decisions based on false data?

Actually what is concerning is that there must be plenty of Tesla engineers (even Elon himself) seeing this stuff happen day to day when they drive these cars and yet they either can't fix it or don't consider it a problem to be trying to fixing it. My bigger worry is if that is how the system is interpreting its surroundings how can it make driving decisions based on false data?

They are probably working on the underlying algorithms so when they fix that, the wobbling will go away.

I guess they need to fix the wobble before driving visualization can help with parking by showing a 3D view of everything to make up for not having bird's eye view. 360 view would have been so awesome.

Here's a question for you guys - when you're driving in bumper to bumper traffic do you see the car behind you on your visualization? Typically, even when the car is really close it won't show up on the visualization on my M3P+. Cars in front and to the side do but fairly rarely in the rear.