Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could we finally expect the USB Media Player to be fixed in Ver. 9.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My album songs show up fine on some albums and all out of order on other ones. I have tried putting leading numbers on the song titles and here again, it works for some and not for others. Also, some show up under "Albums" but not under "Artists" and vice versa, some show up only in folders: in short, they are all over the place. Can anyone tell me how to edit the metadata to solve these problems? I have read that the media player does not read ID3 tags. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The media player does read ID3 tags. However, it seems to only read and sort based on the ARTIST tag, so you have to modify your albums to set that tag to the same value. Also make sure you have the track numbers set.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The media player does read ID3 tags. However, it seems to only read and sort based on the ARTIST tag, so you have to modify your albums to set that tag to the same value. Also make sure you have the track numbers set.

This nonsense is why I always browse by folders, not the Albums/Artists categories. However, they went and screwed all that up in v8 by sorting alphabetically (rather than by track number, which is part of the filename) in that view.

I've come to the conclusion that Tesla doesn't deserve my metadata, since all they do is ^%$@# the music display/organization based on it. So I made a copy of my music collection, ran some commands to completely strip all metadata out of it, and put that on my stick. It works, mostly, but still leaves me bitter.

These are some of my notes on that: [Bash] metastrip - Pastebin.com

Reactions: gt2690b
I've read the Ver 9.0 release notes and see nothing about media player improvement. :(

So I take it that Ver. 9.0 comes with video games but they have not fixed the media player that is vastly more useful? o_O
My casual 10 minute observation is that V9.0 USB media player on my Model S is the same media player as version 8.0, but with a different UI. Hopefully, it will cary over to the Model 3, because the current Model 3 (V8) media player does not even have shuffle.

I have to disagree, MP3 files are HORRIBLE and the system in my Model X is quite nice. It's very easy to hear the difference. I can get ORIGINAL FLAC 24/96 and even 24/192 files to play beautifully but M4a or AAC converted to FLAC still fail. The FLAC's play fine on my laptop, so the conversion seems ok. I wonder if DRM is getting in here somehow

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I have to disagree, MP3 files are HORRIBLE and the system in my Model X is quite nice. It's very easy to hear the difference. I can get ORIGINAL FLAC 24/96 and even 24/192 files to play beautifully but M4a or AAC converted to FLAC still fail. The FLAC's play fine on my laptop, so the conversion seems ok. I wonder if DRM is getting in here somehow

What are you using to convert the files to FLAC?

Try MediaMonkey. That's what I now use to manage my entire music library of over 200GB of music.

There are many different conversion options. Best of all, it can sync with all Android devices over WIFI. I have a 250GB SD Card in my phone and I just press the Sync button on the Android App and it syncs all my playlists and music stored in my computer with my phone. Same for the storage device I use in the car. Just plug it in, press a button and everything is synced.

Now if only they would fix the media player in the car...

If the issue were Digital Rights Management, you wouldn't be able to convert the source to any other format. MP3 and FLAC do not have such rights mechanisms in their format specifications. Thus, if a FLAC can play on your computer but not in your Tesla, then it is a limitation (possibly a bug) of the Tesla player software.

As for comparing "MP3" (a vague description) to "high-definition" lossless audio (such as lossless FLAC at 24 bits per sample and 96khz or 192khz sampling rates), I explored that topic here.

We love everything about our car but the issues we constantly have with USB Media playback. I know, I know, the car can stream music but our travels often takes us away from strong cellphone connectivity and I also prefer listening to high quality music. We have about 7,000 lossless audio tracks in a 250GB USB drive. Just about all the files are FLAC encoded but we are having all sorts of playback and scanning issues.

Does anyone know if we can expect a better Media Player in V 9.0? While they add games and other fun stuff to the software, I really wish they would pay as much attention to fixing core features such as media playback.

I also love the car (Model S 2018) but find the USB media playback extremely sub-standard in several respects. I hoped V 9.0 would improve it, but installed it yesterday and the improvements in USB support are small. I have all my music on a USB memory stick, and in my previous cars could just plug it in, and it would play either all the albums in sequence, or randomly select songs from all the albums, whichever I chose. All I can get the Tesla to do is play the same album over and over again until I choose a new one, and I can't even add albums to favourites. The only gain in V9 is that it now shows Recently Played, so I could at least switch between a few albums more easily. In Spotify I can't successfully use voice selection to choose even obvious sources that it should know, whereas that is a breeze on Amazon Echo. Poor USB handling is my biggest criticism of the Tesla, listening to music while driving is a major part of driving pleasure, but not in my Tesla.

So now we have Atari games and the car can actually make farting sounds.

Could we increase the priority of fixing the media player > farting sounds? :p
Well, farting sounds are now accomplished, so the crack Tesla software team is moving onto the next item on their prioritized list.

I believe they're going to implement flashing the interior lights in a rhythmic pattern that can be chosen by the user from a list available on the left scroll wheel.

Media player fixes are something that's be determined by that same crack team as beyond the current state of technology.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid