Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Covering gloss black console with satin SunTek film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gene

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
I was having Ghost Shield in Thousand Oaks, CA apply SunTek clear bra to front of Model 3 today. I asked them if they could put something over the glossy black center console. I never like gloss black. Too shiny, too many fingerprints and too easy to scratch up. They installed for a mere $75 what they called satin film. For me, it makes the interior 100% more pleasant.

Some pics are with flash. Some are natural light.

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 1,536
  • IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_4619.jpg
    IMG_4619.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 1,050
The satin/matte looks great!

My person was going to apply matte vinyl because was not sure how the interior would hold up to the film application process (first time with Model 3).

In the end he was able to apply clear Suntek to the center console since I had it applied as a full wrap. The results looks great and I would post pictures but it just looks like stock (but with protection).

Last edited:
Reactions: gene
can you take some close up of the edges? I'm interested in how they handled wrapping around the edges of the various parts and the cupholders?

Fingerprints drive me insane so I'm liking the look of this, but a couple of questionably finished edges might bother me more than fingerprints!

Reactions: Icer
Looks pretty good. I really can't understand what Tesla was thinking with having the whole center console glossy piano black. It will look good for maybe 15 minutes then will get covered in dust, fingerprints, and inevitably scratches.

Will fingerprints still show up with the matte covering?

Reactions: Icer
Looks pretty good. I really can't understand what Tesla was thinking with having the whole center console glossy piano black. It will look good for maybe 15 minutes then will get covered in dust, fingerprints, and inevitably scratches.

Will fingerprints still show up with the matte covering?
So far I am not getting fingerprints. Dust is less apparent as well.

Reactions: F_T_K and Icer
Well, since the film on the outside of the car can and has lasted 5 to 10 years in the elements, I would assume this will last a VERY long time.
True, but I guess my thinking is that with the center console, it could be exposed to more bumps and dings from watches, rings, buttons on coats, random things like that. I guess if something does happen to it, it is small enough area and just have it replaced.