Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19 and insurance reductions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: speedyranger74
Americans pay much higher insurance than us I think - I've heard a couple of people say they pay the same in insurance per month as their car loan payments.

Average Cost of Car Insurance (2020)

The cheapest state (Maine) average is $1,200 - twice the UK average. most expensive state (Michigan) average is $8,700 - 15 x the UK average

That number for Michigan full insurance cost is way too high. They're probably basing it on what they can query.
Other sites report $2,300 to $3,000.

Main differences would be that drivers in the USA drive more miles, start driving younger, and the medical cost of injury is high.

Maine is presumably low because we have low population and traffic density, large parking spaces, and a low crime rate. Low traffic density can help both avoid collisions directly through better spacing, and because it's less likely to produce an aggressive driving culture.

Michigan has no-fault insurance, some high minimum insurance requirements and a relatively high estimated rate of insurance fraud.

I lived in San Diego for some years. Still have a Lotus insured over there. I think cover costs are same or lower, but I suspect heavily weighted by claims history, credit score and zip code.

Generally in my experience, way fairer over there. Pay for what you use. Easy to phone and take car cover level downsay if you are not driving, then reapply when you are ready. My insurer strictly pro-rated refunds to the day and no admin fee that I saw in 15 years.

Discount for multiple cars. Have to name any household members of driving age and exclude them from driving or pay extra. Cover levels seem different and may be as little as 25 or 50k public liability cover so although no personal experience, I was always concerned about under-insurance in the event of a serious accident.

Also some states allow 'self insurance' again based on fairly low coverage. Very different scene from UK.