Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Premiums in the time of COVID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR - my premium jumped 30% based on the “risk pool” in MA changing and nothing to do with me as a driver.

Got a new premium for the year ahead from my insurance co. today (Ameriprise). I live in MA and have had annual premiums of 1100 and 1200 respectively for the last two years on my model 3.

Included in the paperwork was a statement that Ameriprise had been purchased by American Family Connect insurance co. They state in plain language that the purchase will have no impact on my premium.

The new premium I received today for the year ahead is 1650. A roughly 30% increase. After calling them they stated this was a result of an adjusted Risk Profile for Massachusetts (weather, other people’s claims, cost of labor, etc). As less people are driving during covid I find all of this really hard to believe but have any of you had a similar experience?

Here are some notes on my car and the current policy.
  • garaged in Camber-ville
  • Zero accident/claims/tickets ever
  • 16,000mi or less annually (odometer: 25k)
It would seem I’m on the market for a new insurance company and I’d love some input and suggestions from the TMC crew.

Attachments

• 205A5FA3-FCC1-4DB2-94B7-621747D4499C.jpeg
    205A5FA3-FCC1-4DB2-94B7-621747D4499C.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: JWardell