Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO/2 Year Warranty: Cover shipping from SCs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brief history:

I just purchased the car on 12/7, it's a 2014 MS P85. It has the 2 year/100,000 warranty on it.
My MCU failed. Completely failed, car wouldn't charge more than 1 KWh/day because of it.

Contacted the SC, which is in Jacksonville. I'm in Pensacola; ~350 miles away. They advised to contact roadside to have the car towed to the SC and they would pay for Enterprise to give me a loaner.

All went as planned, they got the car and have replaced the MCU.

Spoke with the call center (since I can't call the SC directly; it just goes to the call center), and they advised me once the firmware is finished updating, I can either pick the car up, or pay $3/mile to have the car shipped back to me.

I've said that this isn't acceptable, since the car is still under warranty. I am awaiting a call back from the Service Center Manager, Ryan Ott.

What do you guys think about the situation, should Tesla cover the charge to ship the car back to me since it is still under warranty and this repair is a warranty-covered repair, or do you believe requesting I either drive 6 hours, or pay $900 to have it shipped back is fair?

***Update***
Heard from Ryan:

They will cover it this time.
According to him, it is now Tesla policy that the customer will be responsible for either dropping off/picking up their vehicle from the SC, or paying $3/mile to have it picked up or dropped off. The only exception will be if it's a safety issue with the vehicle.

I've requested this in writing and will be posting it here once he sends me that e-mail.

To my knowledge, the New Orleans center is not operational yet. At least, if it is, they have not offered it as an option in any discussions I've had with them.
Managing a 3 hour drive (6/7 hour RT) is much easier for me to accommodate than a 6 (12/13 RT) hour drive, and I wouldn't really have an issue with that.
I could leave work and head there, grab the car, be back in time for work the next day.

Atlanta/Alpharetta-Roswell's SC is about the same distance on paper, but the drive is a good bit worse.

oh wow, I can't imagine of 1kwh/day charge!! Hey, at least it's fixed under warranty. Hopefully Tesla will develop better plan for the situation like this.

I'm sure hoping so.
The part that annoys me about the situation is that I distinctly asked my SA and DS about this part of the service and they assured me that warranty issues would be handled with them picking up and delivering the car due to the distance.

My brother is also a Tesla owner, and I've seen on multiple occasions where they do exactly that for him as well. His overall Tesla experience in the past year or so has been far better than mine in the last month.