Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cpo cars have no location now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incorrect. Porsche specifically includes cosmetics, here's a quote from the Porsche CPO brochure which is available on their website:

"It begins when your dealer selects a Porsche that meets the standard for the CPO program. The vehicle then undergoes a rigorous 111-point mechanical and cosmetic inspection performed by a factory-trained Porsche technician.

Then the vehicle is reconditioned to our meticulous mechanical and cosmetic standards. Any necessary repairs are made using only Genuine Porsche Parts. That means you can rest assured that your vehicle is 100 percent pure Porsche.

Then and only then do we grant it the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned seal and back it up with a Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty."
All they do is detail it, which all dealers do. My Porsche CPO that I bought had many cosmetic imperfections. They clean it, but absolutely do not repaint like Tesla was doing. Here is the actual Porsche CPO checklist. Notice the small cosmetic section that used cars must meet to be considered CPO.

Attachments

• Porsche-CPO-Checklist-1.jpg
    Porsche-CPO-Checklist-1.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Informative
Reactions: erik_k
A certified pre-owned car or CPO is a type of used car.

Most often late-model, they differ from other used cars by having been inspected, refurbished, and certified by a manufacturer or other certifying authority. They also typically include an extended warranty, special financing, and additional benefits.

Certified Pre-Owned - Wikipedia
Exactly!

There’s no legal or even auto industry agreement on what constitutes a CPO program. Each automaker sets their own program. The above article goes on to say

“Because warranties, vehicle inspection points, and other program components will vary, prospective buyers would be wise to decide what defines CPO for themselves, by comparing the programs to determine what best represents their needs and expectations.”
*Bold emphasis added by me.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to shop around for an extended warranty car from tesla? Call fremeont sales office? Any one know how to circumvent the $2000 fee? I was looking forward to taking a trip to grab a car and saving some cash
I believe Tesla has again started posting locations on some cars listed. You can always search by your local zip code and it should show you “local” cars.
Or click the button and get a call from a Tesla sales person and just ask where a particular car is. Though that’s a pain, and I do hope they’ll get back to listing the location on all of their cars.

Reactions: Daniel_6
As bad as it is to not list location, they still erroneously advertise bad info.
“Transport to any Tesla location available for $2,000 (continental US only)”

Only after I ordered did I learn that used cars can only be picked up at certain select delivery centers. The Service Center in my state (MS) doesn’t qualify. When I ordered my car I was at Tahoe and was told Reno’s Showroom & Service Center weren’t valid locations. Las Vegas was, so it’s not a state law issue. I was told because new cars are in factory condition and have a 7-day return window they can deliver those anywhere, including to your home. Since Tesla used cars have no return policy and as a buyer you can refuse delivery when you see it in person Tesla only allows used car deliveries at select sites. And no, there’s no published list. It’s a secret about where you can take delivery.

I CAN see the reasoning behind this policy. I CANNOT understand why they continue to advertise with the claim that you can pick up at “ANY Tesla location” as it’s straight out wrong info.

That said, it may be why they don’t list the location. I’m not entirely confident they know themselves. I’m still waiting for my delivery appointment. I know the car was in CA but the used car folks don’t seem to have any direct visibility into the shipping/logistics. They don’t know when the car will be picked up, how long it’ll take to get to TN, nor how long Nashville will take to detail it and set a delivery appointment. I have every intention of picking up my car but if something unexpected comes up and I can’t take delivery for some reason I’m not at all sure anyone would know when they re-list it where it is. Their system may have last said CA, even though the car would actually be in Nashville.

Last edited:
Their re-marketing Sales Advisors must be really busy tracking cars down for people. Do you really think profit is the reason? They charge 2K for deliveries but there is a cost associated with that. I am sure they are not making much money after logistics, transport cost, damaged car and customer service

• Disagree
Yeah, this post definitely got hijacked. To answer the OP, I just put down a deposit on a used Model X after the location information went away. When the Tesla representative reached out to me, they gave me the option of picking the vehicle up locally or having it delivered for $2000. The location matched what was originally posted on the website (I was following the car for a few weeks). So it looks to me like it was probably just some issues with the website that they are working out, not some strategy to charge $2000 for all used car purchases. Not sure if any other car stalkers noticed this, but it seemed like the prices on used cars were dropping daily on a set time schedule. When the locations went away, the price drops became random if they even happened at all. Shrewd end of the quarter strategy or general incompetence?

They're not CPO. Period.

Prove me wrong. Send me one single link where Tesla refers to their used cars as CPO. If you're right, it shouldn't be difficult.
If your goal is to be pedantic... Fine. Imgur

Every Carfax from Tesla comes from "Tesla CPO".

CPO with most manufacturers is a warranty the dealer buys from the factory. Tesla's isn't much difference, but they could do more in the cleaning and refresh department.