Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cpo license plate question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my cpo on 3/15, it came with license plates and the commute stickers. I got a new license plate in the mail. Do they give everyone a new license plate? (they tape the registration on my car dash)
the license plate is different than the ones that were on the car. It just confusing, why they would leave them on the first place.

You'll be better off asking in the appropriate regional forum for your state, since plates are state issued. In some states the plate stays with the car. In others you'll get a new one. Unless your state has a special plate/procedure for EVs, however, it will be the same as any used car.

Strange. Wonder if they should have been left on. Was the car from out of state? We're in Calif too and I know when we traded in our car at purchase we thought we were going to get our plates from that car to put on our new one. However they stayed with the car. So who knows.

We just applied for our HOV sticker and remember reading that if you buy a car with them on that you should contact DMV to have the sticker put in your name (also there's a sticker card that you should have with a # on it that you keep with the car in case you get pulled over). Did you get that too? Otherwise look into what you need to do for the HOV decals.

That was our delivery location too. I'd call them about the double plates and what to do about the old ones. From our understanding the HOV stickers stay with the car, but you want to make sure they get reregistered in your name.

"5. Q: I acquired a vehicle with CAV decals and transferred it into my name. Do I also have to transfer the CAV decal ownership into my name?

A: Yes. If you purchase a vehicle with existing decals, you must transfer the decals to your name using the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) form. There is no cost provided that all required CAV decals are present on the vehicle. You will be issued a new CAV decal ID card with your name once your CAV decal transfer application is processed."