Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Limbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having an issue with a used Tesla purchase as well. I put a deposit down on a P100D Ludicrous and now they are telling me it's actually a P90D. They are very slow to respond to my questions. My initial order and the initial response email both confirmed the correct specs. I got suspicious when I saw the pictures with a p90d badge on the car and they told me they were going to put a P100D Ludicrous badge on it for me. But at the same time they were saying it had a 100 kwh battery. What should I do? They are very slow to respond to my emails. I just checked my Tesla order online and it was changed to a P90D today.

I'm having an issue with a used Tesla purchase as well. I put a deposit down on a P100D Ludicrous and now they are telling me it's actually a P90D. They are very slow to respond to my questions. My initial order and the initial response email both confirmed the correct specs. I got suspicious when I saw the pictures with a p90d badge on the car and they told me they were going to put a P100D Ludicrous badge on it for me. But at the same time they were saying it had a 100 kwh battery. What should I do? They are very slow to respond to my emails. I just checked my Tesla order online and it was changed to a P90D today.

If that is not the car you paid for I would and to transfer your deposit to another car. Especially if it does not have the range and ludicrous mode. I will not be getting another car for a long time the used process sucked. Only good part was when I got my car. Good luck

Actually, the improved their CPO program by ending it last year. Shortly after Elon announced they would address customer service they wiped the term "CPO" from their dictionary and I guess assumed this was the fix they desperately needed? *wipes hands together* "problem solved!" ROFL

They kind of improved their used program by adding actual photos. Although those are the same photos you could request previously which they would email you it just cuts out the middle man so.. yeah, I guess you could say it was improved.

You can't buy a CPO car from Tesla. At all.

You may want to consider a used car directly from Tesla though for the same reasons mentioned earlier. Just know that, regardless of what they call the program, buying a used car from Tesla is a dumpster fire and I would approach it very cautiously. Do your research to see what nightmare you're signing up for. It sucks. The car you end up receiving (if you ever get it) will likely be a solid car that you will love but the headache you go through to attain it will be equally bad and most are choosing to avoid Tesla used for this very reason. I did it three times and it's unlikely I will even do it again and I've even warned friends who were in the market for a Tesla. It's too bad Tesla continues doing nothing to remedy this problem but thinks they are.
A boycott of the program is what's required to fix it. If enough people vote with their wallet and buy elsewhere at some point Tesla will get the message. I did last November when I cancelled by order with Tesla, took my refund and purchased elsewhere.

Reactions: darxsys
I like the program overall. Yeah there are issues, but nothing beats low prices for great cars.
"there are issues, but nothing beats low prices for great cars."

Agree but I found a car better equipped with half the mileage that cost $500 more, non of the hassle, saw it and drove it pior to paying anything and oh bought and took delivery same day.

I've had my P85D for 10 days now, and couldn't be any happier with the car. I fully agree that the process you go through to buy a used car from Tesla is terrible. TERRIBLE!!
But, in the end I got an amazing car that I'm incredibly happy with, and with a 2 year warranty.
That warrantee was why I put up with the awful communication and the beyond stupid sight unseen policy. A picture might say 1,000 words, but that's not enough when dropping $50k on a used car.
It's a really bad process and quite painful, but in the end when you're driving your new Tesla, it's totally worth it.

what did you end up doing with your S did you cancel the order or how did they rectify it?

If you want a laugh - or cry...you can watch Rich Benoit's 'Rich Rebuilds' Model X Order mess Playlist (4 videos)
I only took him over three months to get his Model X - and that's with high end executives getting involved - flying to Massachusetts from California to personally help out - Rich being a very high profile TESLA YouTube presence.

TESLA used car process is nightmare....
NOT a CPO car....

Model X Order mess - YouTube

I've had my P85D for 10 days now, and couldn't be any happier with the car. I fully agree that the process you go through to buy a used car from Tesla is terrible. TERRIBLE!!
But, in the end I got an amazing car that I'm incredibly happy with, and with a 2 year warranty.
That warrantee was why I put up with the awful communication and the beyond stupid sight unseen policy. A picture might say 1,000 words, but that's not enough when dropping $50k on a used car.
It's a really bad process and quite painful, but in the end when you're driving your new Tesla, it's totally worth it.

And what to plan on doing after that 2 year warranty is up?
The repair costs are astronomical - motor and battery replacements.

If you want a laugh - or cry...you can watch Rich Benoit's 'Rich Rebuilds' Model X Order mess Playlist (4 videos)
I only took him over three months to get his Model X - and that's with high end executives getting involved - flying to Massachusetts from California to personally help out - Rich being a very high profile TESLA YouTube presence.

TESLA used car process is nightmare....
NOT a CPO car....

Model X Order mess - YouTube
Wow, well at least I'm not in a rush. I can wait it out. They have at least a month to give me a serious response. I know actual delivery could take quite a while. I also know how big companies deal with legal missteps, they figure time is on their side.