Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Process Anxiety/Vent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my concern as well and I did end up going over the 30 days, had to re-apply and my rate appears to be the same. If it increased, I would definitely make a very big deal about it, demanding some sort of compensation on Tesla's end (part$$$/upgrade$$$). Maybe @Upscaleman has some thoughts/strategies :D

Do what Ketchups said... :)

Any key phrase suggestions? I'm sure they won't go for, "I'm mad, gimme wheels..."

Simply explain the facts - that their excessive delay is going to cost you x (x being the difference in interest cost of your loan over term at the two different rates you cited).

Therefore, you should provide me with y (y being something of comparable value).

However, if they don't believe you're willing to walk away from the deal, then you have very little leverage. I actually did walk away from the deal over my CPO P85D.

Maybe I'm the exception here, but I've had a great experience with my guy. I went into a Tesla showroom asking about CPO cars, they didn't deal with those so they passed along my info to the CPO guy in Florida. I got a call and an email later that day. Told him I was looking for a 85D, not much inventory for those out there. Looked at one that was in Chicago but I hesitated and it sold to someone else. So he keeps searching for them. I get a call from him on a Friday, said that he saw one getting traded in but it wasn't in the system yet. He went and got them to release it for sale, called me back and waited on the phone while I completed the order online. I'm in my 3rd week, it finished the mechanical stuff last week, this week it's finishing up cosmetics and should be shipped to me soon, I think delivery will be end of month or earlier. I guess it all depends on who you get.

UPDATE 2/13:
Six weeks today... Still no concrete delivery date. The only sliver of info I was able to pry from the Used Vehicle Sales Advisor was all the parts ordered for the refurbishment SHOULD have been received on Monday 2/5. He would not elaborate what was being repaired. He assured me that I would be given an inspection report at delivery that should include all refurbished items.

I did receive an offer though the website for my trade, so I guess they expect delivery in the next two weeks since the trade offers expire.

I've also had to re-apply for the loan with Alliant now that my pre-approval has expired. This has made me the most irritated.
Old rate 1.49%. New rate 3.24%!! It looks like all of their rates jumped mid January.
This excessive delay has now cost me ~$2000 over the life of the loan.

I know I'm going to love my MS, but this process makes me wary of recommending the CPO process to anyone. My parents are looking to pull the trigger on a CPO MX but I've suggested they hold off for now.
A normal car buyer will be turned off by the simple lack of communication. Nevermind putting a deposit on a car they haven't seen and may wait 6-8 to do so.

UPDATE:
Sent an email voicing my disappointment about interest rate and was informed that the bank screwed up. The 1.49% rate is only available on new cars, NOT CPO's. I should never have been given that rate. So no traction on any compensation.

But they also notified me that the car is done and being shipped to the closest Service Center, 100 miles away in New York. Thanks Connecticut...

If all goes well, I should take delivery this Saturday!

UPDATE 2/17:
Took delivery today!! Just short of 7 weeks.

You were all correct, no consistent contact until the end. There were a flurry of emails the last two days before delivery. It is very strange signing your loan paperwork days before picking up the car. As well as the actual delivery, they want you to fill out the entire delivery packet before you even lay eyes on the car.

As for the car, wow! There are a few small scratches and the head liner is a bit dirty but it does look like a new car! I forgot to request the inspection/refurbishment report during delivery but I should be able to call Tesla Support for that now that I own the car.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.JPG
    IMG_2784.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
UPDATE 2/17:

You were all correct, no consistent contact until the end. There were a flurry of emails the last two days before delivery. It is very strange signing your loan paperwork days before picking up the car. As well as the actual delivery, they want you to fill out the entire delivery packet before you even lay eyes on the car.

As for the car, wow! There are a few small scratches and the head liner is a bit dirty but it does look like a new car! I forgot to request the inspection/refurbishment report during delivery but I should be able to call Tesla Support for that now that I own the car.
I guess it depends on the dealership. In my case I had the financing agreement agead of time but wasn’t asked to sign it before the big day, and also they gave me ample time and space to check out the car before signing my trade over to them and finalizing the sale.

UPDATE 2/17:

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the Family!!!

As for signing papers, I reviewed and signed everything on delivery day.

It's amazing, new 21" wheels and tires, and they were able to clean out a few spots I pointed out in the headliner. Other than light swirl marks, you can't tell it's a ~3yr old used car.

I looked into their CPO options with one of their reps a while back. Told them that being required to put down money before I could see the vehicle was a non-starter. Rep said that they would spend “over 1k making improvements to the vehicle”. Told him I’d prefer to keep my $1k and choose what improvements I want made. They had no accommodation for even seeing pictures or choosing what I preferred be done. So instead I bought an equivalent 2013 Model S from the local GMC dealer for $15k less.

I wish there was some way to convey how awful the CPO experience is to Tesla execs.

I hope they read the Tesla forums.

We are looking to buy a Tesla and I'm completely turned off by the CPO process. We have bought other CPO (Audi and Lexus) cars in the past and the experience has been incredible, like we were buying a new car. With Tesla, it's been the opposite because I have to visit our Tesla gallery just to see what cars they have available.

I too would balk at putting money down on a car without being able to see it.

UPDATE 2/13:
Six weeks today... Still no concrete delivery date. The only sliver of info I was able to pry from the Used Vehicle Sales Advisor was all the parts ordered for the refurbishment SHOULD have been received on Monday 2/5. He would not elaborate what was being repaired. He assured me that I would be given an inspection report at delivery that should include all refurbished items.

I did receive an offer though the website for my trade, so I guess they expect delivery in the next two weeks since the trade offers expire.

I've also had to re-apply for the loan with Alliant now that my pre-approval has expired. This has made me the most irritated.
Old rate 1.49%. New rate 3.24%!! It looks like all of their rates jumped mid January.
This excessive delay has now cost me ~$2000 over the life of the loan.

I know I'm going to love my MS, but this process makes me wary of recommending the CPO process to anyone. My parents are looking to pull the trigger on a CPO MX but I've suggested they hold off for now.
A normal car buyer will be turned off by the simple lack of communication. Nevermind putting a deposit on a car they haven't seen and may wait 6-8 to do so.

I feel awful for you. Why can't they refurbish these CPO cars and then offer them for sale so people who want to buy a CPO car can inspect the car and then buy it right away without all the disappointment, drama, and weeks of delays?

It seems buying a CPO car is a bit of a crapshoot the way the CPO program is presently structured :eek:

Reactions: LoL Rick
I feel awful for you. Why can't they refurbish these CPO cars and then offer them for sale so people who want to buy a CPO car can inspect the car and then buy it right away without all the disappointment, drama, and weeks of delays?

It seems buying a CPO car is a bit of a crapshoot the way the CPO program is presently structured :eek:
There is literally NOTHING to look at, as the CPO cars will have ZERO damage on them at the time of delivery. No dings, No dents, No curb rash, no Scratches. Just a little dirt here and there, IF you look very closely, and I'm pretty damn detailed.

It's just a PITA waiting, especially with so many CPO's that have sold recently. I had to pretend that I ordered a 'brand new Tesla' and that is just the wait expected for them to 'build' my order 'configuration'.

The only things missing during the delivery ceremony were strawberries and champagne.

There is literally NOTHING to look at, as the CPO cars will have ZERO damage on them at the time of delivery. No dings, No dents, No curb rash, no Scratches. Just a little dirt here and there, IF you look very closely, and I'm pretty damn detailed.

It's just a PITA waiting, especially with so many CPO's that have sold recently. I had to pretend that I ordered a 'brand new Tesla' and that is just the wait expected for them to 'build' my order 'configuration'.

The only things missing during the delivery ceremony were strawberries and champagne.

When someone sells me a used car and tells me "there is nothing to look at," that's when I really start worrying about what they are selling me :rolleyes:

When someone sells me a used car and tells me "there is nothing to look at," that's when I really start worrying about what they are selling me :rolleyes:
I agree, my car was not perfect at delivery but damn close to it. I got the impression that they want to work with you through the service department which is fine by me, especially that the more I drive the car thw more I get to know of the little quirks that I want them to fix which is why I’m buying a CPO to begin with

• Disagree
Reactions: Ketchups
I just completed my second CPO purchase. The first one was a bit nerve wracking, but I think it was more just trying to figure out the "Tesla process". I completed my second purchase three weeks ago. This one was flawless. Reasonably good communications, and even got to check out the car a week before the deal went down. It took about 5 weeks from deposit to delivery. The advisor had me hold off on the loan application until he was sure of completion to avoid the expiring loan approval problem. They did really well and on top of all that, the car was absolutely like new!

I can tell you first hand that CPO cars can come with scratches (and many chips). They didn't even detail my CPO car prior to delivery and I had to have it detailed locally.

I can tell you first hand that CPO cars can come with scratches (and many chips). They didn't even detail my CPO car prior to delivery and I had to have it detailed locally.
Sucks to suck. If it wasn't up to par, you should have walk away and requested another car or refund of your deposit.

My CPO was pretty much a new car. There was some dirt on the white alcantara headliner that I pointed out and they brought the detailer over and he clean it right up! I can't even tell where that spot was anymore. Other than that, it was completely detailed inside and out, fresh coat of wax too. New wheels, new tires. I was hard pressed to find anything wrong with it.

Unfortunately that’s not true. They have guidelines that they follow for damage. If the damage inside or out is beyond a certain size then they repair it. If it’s not, they don’t. I had several rock dings on my hood at delivery but thy were within the limits considered normal wear and tear. My tires were not new but they had plenty of tread on them. My wheels didn’t have any damage on them either but I’m sure they were not new.

The current model S loaner I have has a big hole in the rear bumper, a big scratch on the passenger front door, the front windshield is scratched inside, three of the wheels have horrible wheel rub, there is a faceplate behind a door handle that is missing, and strangest of all....the trunk cargo cover is missing. Tesla will have to do some serious work on this car when someone buys it because obviously the previous owner didn’t take care of it.

UPDATE 2/17:

Congrats! I hope y’all have good luck with your new car. Safe travels.