Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Roadster process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well I heard from Ryan today. My car is located in Menlo Park now and is in cue to be completed this week. including fan and PEM upgrades. The target delivery date is Monday 7/29/13. I put my deposit down on 6/12/13 so this has been a bit of a wait but worth it. We also got the 3/37 car and battery warranty paperwork finished. According to my conversation with Ryan today the Roadster CPO program is now sold out! He said all cars are sold and they are working through refurbishment. I really feel like I got a great deal on abetter than new car in the exact color combo I wanted. So yes the wait has been annoying but worth it. Last week the electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 with 50 Amp service and the kicker it is color matched to my car Fusion Red and Tan

That's great. Congrats! I haven't heard anything from Ryan since 7/8 despite 3 or 4 e-mails. I'm actually financing the purchase because my investments have been earning way more than the 1.7% lender rate, but my rate expires on 7/30 and I've told Ryan I want to wrap it up this week. It is very frustrating.

I was, however, actually able to see the car in person over the weekend at the local service center. It was really nice to see the car since I was essentially buying it sight unseen, although I did test drive one locally before deciding to proceed. I took a few photos and went for a ride on the test track - and WOW! That was fun. :biggrin:

I cannot wait!

Last edited:
According to my conversation with Ryan today the Roadster CPO program is now sold out! He said all cars are sold and they are working through refurbishment.

I heard from another person in the CPO group and this isn't quite accurate. They have sold all of the cars that were ready for sale, but there are still lots of cars that have not yet been refurbished and which are in the loaner program. They are all for sale and will in time be refurbished and put up on eBay and/or the CPO site. But the best thing to do is to email [email protected] with your parameters and they will try to find a match. Also, as regards CPOs abroad, Tesla will be making some offers for such cars where they are permitted to do so.

I spoke with the local service manager at the Dublin service center today. He informed me that my Roadster is scheduled to arrive Wed or Thurs this week. He said that barring any major issues he would expect to have the car reconditioned for me for delivery next week. Communication from the service center has been phenomenal and has helped me through the times of hearing nothing from the CPO team. Hopefully the final paperwork is ready when the car is!

I heard from another person in the CPO group and this isn't quite accurate. They have sold all of the cars that were ready for sale, but there are still lots of cars that have not yet been refurbished and which are in the loaner program. They are all for sale and will in time be refurbished and put up on eBay and/or the CPO site.

I've heard that, too, and it makes me wonder about the listing criteria. Specifically at what point does a Roadster move from "in queue" to "Ready for Listing." Many of us who put deposits down on the listed CPO Roadsters have still had to wait several weeks for reconditioning to be completed. So a listed Roadster is certainly not fully reconditioned yet.

It's been a very slow process thus far.

I hope it improves with the next round of availability for future buyers.

New member here. Just got interested in Tesla about 2 months ago when a business partner of mine bought a Model S. I was immediately taken to it and now I'm in the process of buying a CPO roadster. Just got the docusign paperwork tonight and noticed no charges for destination/registration/tax/etc. I can't imagine they're not gonna charge me sales tax? Wanted to see what some others here had seen on their purchase orders. Also the warranty clause still seems to be the same generic phrase with no mention of the promised 37/37 including battery. In any event, can't wait to get it. I think I've read just about every possible thread on this forum in anticipation.

New member here. Just got interested in Tesla about 2 months ago when a business partner of mine bought a Model S. I was immediately taken to it and now I'm in the process of buying a CPO roadster. Just got the docusign paperwork tonight and noticed no charges for destination/registration/tax/etc. I can't imagine they're not gonna charge me sales tax? Wanted to see what some others here had seen on their purchase orders. Also the warranty clause still seems to be the same generic phrase with no mention of the promised 37/37 including battery. In any event, can't wait to get it. I think I've read just about every possible thread on this forum in anticipation.

skadax, welcome! Good seeing you over the weekend. I think we both had ridiculously wide grins after finally seeing and riding in our cars in person.

I finally received some paperwork tonight as well. Mine did have some warranty info and I can e-mail that to you. Just send me a PM.

RE: taxes, Tesla won't charge us, but we will be responsible for paying the taxes when we register the car at the DMV. I think Maricopa county is 6.6% You'll need that several thousand dollar amount at the DMV when your register. Then a few weeks later, since the laws changed a few months ago, your municipality will bill you the use tax. In Phoenix, it's 2%.

Yeah, all that hurts, but the good news is that we can register the car for a super low price. As you know, it's typically based off the MSRP of the car, so my $40K+ Volt was about $700 to register the first year. By contrast, my LEAF was about $21. I believe the Roadster will cost about the same. At that rate, I just might do a 5-year registration for $100 or so.

Good luck!

Ugh... my Roadster reconditioning is expected to be completed this week at the Dublin, OH service center (those guys have been great!)... however, apparently Tesla missed a signature line from the previous owner on the title and cannot move the title to their name so they can sell me the car... now I have to wait until the original owner signs the appropriate docs, sends them back to Tesla, and the title is transferred to Tesla's name... pray to God this all happens in a timely fashion, I'll be pretty annoyed if my car is all done and waiting and I can't even pick it up

apparently Tesla missed a signature line from the previous owner on the title and cannot move the title to their name so they can sell me the car...

I'm very sorry to hear that and hope it resolves quickly. You'd think Tesla would have caught that before offering the car up for sale? Weird.

My car was sent to the body shop for touch up repainting on Friday and I was told that - barring any surprises - the car would be ready by the end of this week. I received the warranty paperwork the middle of last week and overnighted my final payment to Tesla Friday. Per my tracking information, it arrived today. I asked Ryan for confirmation and he said he had e-mailed someone but had not heard back yet. I don't anticipate any issues, but if someone overlooked a signature line for you, I'll feel better once they confirm they have my money and paperwork.

Good luck!

This process really could be much smoother and faster.

Well I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Ryan Kennedy and the CPO Roadster program... as a sales professional I expect much better follow up and communication than I have received from Ryan (my customers would have lynched me by now)... I have not heard from Ryan since my last post 9 days ago in spite of two follow-up emails... it had taken him more than 7 days to follow-up on my previous email as well... we are now approaching 30 days since I started this process... as far as I know we are still waiting on a signature from the previous owner which has taken 4 weeks to obtain??? I can't help but think that Ryan's follow-up with the previous owner is likely as poor as his follow-up with me and is dragging this process out... I know that there are many Tesla-enthusiasts who might say this is just part of the process but I still expect good customer service... am I nuts? Anyone know who Ryan's boss is or someone further up the sales ladder that I can reach out to?

I, too had difficulties (very similar to yours) with my CPO purchase. Similar timeline, too. Difficult, but in the end worth it. I only spoke to Ryan once, at the very beginning. In any case, Kevin Yu was the person who got things done for me. I found him to be very responsive. Perhaps you should send him an e-mail and see if he can get things done for you. Send it to kyu(at)teslamotors.com. My understanding at the time was that he was in charge of the CPO program. Best of luck!

I was told Kevin was in charge of the CPO program and that Ryan worked under him. I still don't have my car yet, but they told me this Friday, 8/9/2013. I'll post an update on my process after delivery.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, PokerBroker. It really dampens the initial excitement. This whole process needs to get better. I do imagine that in the end it will be worth it, but you deserve better much better communication. Good luck! Hope you have your car soon.

Another 2 cents here. I'm going thru the same process now as well and have been promised a Friday 8/9 delivery. I'm in Phoenix along with shrink and I understand both of our cars are being reconditioned here locally. Ryan helped me at the very beginning as he was the first person to call me. Since then it was basically Brandon De Leon ([email protected]) who did everything else and was very responsive. More so by email than phone call, but still usually same day updates. Ryan is now much more involved in these finally stages. Although the process can be slow at times I genuinely believe they are all trying very hard to keep the whole program moving. Good luck to all and I'll update on Friday once I (hopefully) take delivery...

Aside from my frustrations (sounds like everyone had some) it looks like I will be taking delivery mid-next week! I'm sure I'll forget about all the 30 day process and frustrating communication once I'm sitting behind the wheel of my British Racing Green beauty! In the end it is well worth the process for any prospective CPO buyers and hopefully the process gets better and better as they go! I'll probably be first in line for a CPO Model S once they start arriving as trade-ins on the Model X in late 2014, early 2015!

Notes:

(1) Although communication with Ryan Kennedy was frustrating at times, it is evident in the end that he was working diligently towards our mutual goal the whole way (a little better responsiveness on emails would be nice, I would rather hear "I'm still working on it" than get no response for 9 days).

(2) USAlliance Federal Credit Union was nothing less than SUPERIOR to work with! They were on the ball every time I spoke to them or emailed them. Special thanks to Jon Krumdick.

(3) Dave and Doug at the Dublin, OH Service Center are superstars of customer service and communication.