Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Roadster process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge congrats, Tim and Johnny.

While I had some delays in getting plates for my wife's car, they came about a week ago, so all is good. She put the front plate on. I can't bring myself to do it, and I've yet to be pulled over in two years of driving it (knock on wood).

All in all, I had a very positive experience with the CPO team. I know I was part of a massive wave of activity, which is somewhat to be expected when you seize upon a unique opportunity. But they did me right and I am happy to cut them a little slack due to the circumstances.

I finally received my registration paperwork today, 9/11/2013. I took delivery on 8/9/2013, so it was just over a month.

On the one hand, I can see why it took a bit. They had to find the title and complete the proper forms on the title, then find and complete some Arizona specific paperwork. Not being an Arizona auto dealer, I can see how that take some work.

On the other hand, buying a used car without a title is a bit strange. Also, considering the initial deposit of $2500, it was the first time I have ever spent that much money and did not receive a receipt. :wink:

So, for me it was 1-month between deposit and delivery, and another month between delivery and registration paperwork.

Now I get the pleasure of paying some taxes. Woo hoo! LOL.

I received my paperwork earlier this week as well. The only items I needed were the CA title and Bill of Sale/MVPA. Shouldn't have been that difficult. Other than that I am still waiting on a few cosmetic parts (seats, sills, etc) that they had to order for my purchase to be behind me... in the meantime I've been loving my car!!

The Roadster CPO inventory has been updated. There are currently 9 for sale. I find one rather interesting. There's a twilight blue Sport with all options and 40,300 miles with a list price of $106,100. Seems high but listed among the options is:

Battery Replacement Plan

I'm guessing the original owner prepaid for the battery replacement and it will transfer to the new owner?

Certified Pre-Owned | Tesla Motors

It seems like all the stuff they post to the CPO website is really expensive. For instance, they have a 1.5 Roadster listed on the CPO site at $77k that doesn't have many options. Last week, they had a similarly optioned car (radiant red instead of of Thunder Gray) not on the CPO site that they were asking $58k for.

The Roadster CPO inventory has been updated. There are currently 9 for sale. I find one rather interesting. There's a twilight blue Sport with all options and 40,300 miles with a list price of $106,100. Seems high but listed among the options is:

Battery Replacement Plan

I'm guessing the original owner prepaid for the battery replacement and it will transfer to the new owner?

Certified Pre-Owned | Tesla Motors

The battery replacement program goes with the car and transfers to the new owner. Most people paid $12,000 or $15,000 for it, depending on when they bought it. They don't say the new (replacement) battery will be new. They only say it will have 53 kWh of storage capacity. You can exercise the option as early as 5 years but you have to pay an additional $2,000 at that time to get one that early. If you can wait 9 years, they will pay you back $2,000.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like all the stuff they post to the CPO website is really expensive. For instance, they have a 1.5 Roadster listed on the CPO site at $77k that doesn't have many options. Last week, they had a similarly optioned car (radiant red instead of of Thunder Gray) not on the CPO site that they were asking $58k for.

It looks to me like prices have gone up lately. Apparently there's more demand now. Either that or the wave of people trading in for Model S has begun to pass.

It looks to me like prices have gone up lately. Apparently there's more demand now. Either that or the wave of people trading in for Model S has begun to pass.

Prices have definitely gone up. The 2.0 I bought in 7/2013 and took delivery of in 8/2013 was less expensive, had fewer miles, and had a couple more options/accessories than the Thunder Gray 1.5 with 13,600 miles currently listed for $77K.

I guess a market correction has occurred.

They seemed to have updated their website after I placed a downpayment on one of their CPO Roadsters two days ago-Radiant Red 2.5...I got sucked into it when they picked me up from the Enterprise rental in Dublin, OH in a Roadster after they finished a maintenance check on my Model S. I'd never seen a Roadster live before that and the rest is history! Hopefully will send the payment to the Monday and receive the car in two weeks!

They seemed to have updated their website after I placed a downpayment on one of their CPO Roadsters two days ago-Radiant Red 2.5...I got sucked into it when they picked me up from the Enterprise rental in Dublin, OH in a Roadster after they finished a maintenance check on my Model S. I'd never seen a Roadster live before that and the rest is history! Hopefully will send the payment to the Monday and receive the car in two weeks!

Welcome to the Ohio Roadster Club. Check out our group on Facebook under Ohio Tesla Group!

---Kent

I agree, the deluge of available roadsters has clearly dried up and I would expect it to continue to do so further... I imagine those who bought this summer bought at the bottom... Now I'll patiently wait for the Model X to come out so I can grab my CPO P85 trade-in!!

Thanks for your reply on the other thread, I just caught onto this one.

It sure looks like the price went up, but it seems odd to me that they would raise prices as the summer season is over...
Convertible/sports car price's usually go down at this time of year and I would expect to still see trade-ins from people wishing to have their model S for winter.
Also, some expensive one (like the blue, #911) and cheaper ones have been on the site for quite some time now.

I'm really into getting one but I think I'll wait to see if they actually sell some cars in this price range before committing to one now!

- - - Updated - - -

...I meant, blue Vin #811...