Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Roadster process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a beauty! Congrats!

Thanks for the tip about the low clearance in the driveway. I was really worried about that at my house and am going to try to do something about that before CPO #501 comes home.

RE: extra goodies, I actually asked for a t-shirt and they said yes, but I am not demanding that be in the contract. If it happens great, but I'm not going to hold them to it.

How long was the process for you from deposit to delivery? Did they give you a list of work that was done in the reconditioning process?

If you're going through the CPO Roadster process, you need to double-check everything they do, and possibly keep bugging the CPO folks to deliver what was promised. I wish it weren't so, but my past two months (aside from the time I've spent actually driving my Roadster) have been extremely frustrating.

Today, I finally received a copy of the Warranty documentation, and it states that my battery is covered for only 90 days or 3,000 miles, even though the wording on the specific CPO page for my Roadster stated "37 month / 37,000 mile bumper-to-bumper Warranty (including the battery)" on the day I wrote the check!

Looks like another round of threats are in order. I'm making updates to my CPO saga on my blog here: http://www.uswet.com/blog/2013/06/22/is-it-time-for-my-mid-life-crisis-already/, if you're interested.

Andy, congrats! I couldn't help but to say that I took delivery of my car 3 weeks ago. Same color same wheels same top same no ext carbon fiber. I almost gulped when I saw it coz I thought you took a picture of mine haha. Then when I noticed the orig style front bumper I sighed relief. Mine is a 2.5 #1159. Happy Tesliving!

If I was provided with any sort of updates along the way this process wouldn't be so bad. I realize that there are little things that may cause delays but I'd at least like confirmation that the process is still progressing. Sounds like they have their hands full and are lacking a bit on the communication with others too.

I finally got a small update, but not from Ryan. Spoke with the local service manager, whose email was given to me by another local owner on these boards. My car arrived in Phoenix last week but without firm instructions. The service manager said it took 2 days to for Ryan to respond with clarification. Ryan reportedly said he is working on 20-25 CPO deals at the moment. So the slow post deposit communication is understandable but frustrating. Anyway, because they are so swamped, it looks like non local buyers are having the reconditioning done in their region to take a load off Menlo Park.

In my case, I guess Menlo did an inspection and recommended some work be done. The local manager will be redoing the inspection and updating and seeking approval for needed work. Mine will include front bumper repainting, rebadging some missing ones, new carpets, new tires, and I think touch up scratches around the chargeport and on the rims. Other than the tires, just cosmetic I guess based on Menlo's inspection. He did say the thing slowing down the process is that Roadster parts are hard to get and he may have to wait a while for them to come in based in whatever else needs to be done. They are outsourcing the paint to a local body shop. I asked about PEM and fan upgrades since I'm in the Phoenix desert and he said those would have to covered under warranty if there are issues in the future. I'm fine with that.

However, speaking of warranty, the service manager did not know what the CPO warranty was. He said I would know better, but he guessed a year. I quickly reminded him of the 37/37 including the battery and he said, "That's great. We honestly don't know here because it keeps changing."

All the more reason I want that warranty in writing!

He told me 2-3 weeks from today, so that makes my process about 4-5 weeks. I sat on the deposit for a week before telling them I'd proceed.

Last edited:
Hi shrink, my process was about 4 weeks. I just went to the Fremont, CA factory, where they had about 10 roadsters that were up for sale. I put a hold on #532 right away. I then requested that they provide me with battery health on the #532 and the history of the car. It took them about 2 weeks to get me this information. Then I went in and signed all the paperwork and gave my check. From that point they said they needed 2 weeks to recondition the car. They delivered it to me one day early.

As part of the contract we wrote in that they need to provide me with an inspection report, specifically what was done during the reconditioning and so on. I am still waiting for this.

Curt, the warranty for CPOs did change. We started our process when the battery warranty was just 90 days, but everything else was under a 37 month / 37,000 mile warranty. The CPO program went through 6 iterations, so it did keep changing. They were charging $7,000 if I wanted to add a 37 month / 37,000 warranty on the battery. I declined. But then what the CPO program did was get rid of the $7,000 battery warranty option, and automatically included it on all future CPOs. However, they also added $3500 to every CPO roadsters price. We now have the option to purchase the 37 month / 37,000 battery warranty for $3500, and we have 90 days to decide. So your warranty all depends on when you started the process.

NapaValleyMike, make sure you ask for whatever you can before you sign the delivery acceptance. We were able to get some small things like the Tesla license plate covers, a bunch of Tesla keychains, and a promise to fix the front bottom piece, had some minor chips and scratches. I do cringe whenever I pull in and out of my driveway, since the car definitely touches pavement and makes a scratching sound. This car really sits low. I have to drive diagonally over all speed bumps. Your car is sitting in the Menlo Park showroom, looking very nice!!
View attachment 25766
Andy-SF thanks for the update and information. Your car looks stunning! Should you make it up to Napa Valley in your Roadster let me know...

Curt, the warranty for CPOs did change. We started our process when the battery warranty was just 90 days, but everything else was under a 37 month / 37,000 mile warranty. The CPO program went through 6 iterations, so it did keep changing. They were charging $7,000 if I wanted to add a 37 month / 37,000 warranty on the battery. I declined. But then what the CPO program did was get rid of the $7,000 battery warranty option, and automatically included it on all future CPOs. However, they also added $3500 to every CPO roadsters price. We now have the option to purchase the 37 month / 37,000 battery warranty for $3500, and we have 90 days to decide. So your warranty all depends on when you started the process.

Andy,

You're absolutely right, and I knew that there had been several iterations. That is exactly why I have been requesting some sort of documentation, and was upset when they finally sent me a Warranty document which did not agree with what was promised when I made my purchase.

After some angry emails and threats, though, they came through with a new Warranty document which reflects the full coverage.

Once again, if you're going through the CPO process, be sure to check everything very carefully. I know they mean well, but the lack of communication within Tesla Motors is leading to the appearance of incompetence in the CPO program.

After some angry emails and threats, though, they came through with a new Warranty document which reflects the full coverage.

Congrats, Curt. Glad they finally came through for you. Your persistence will actually probably help subsequent CPO purchasers such as myself. Thanks again for the great advice and sharing your experience.

Now enjoy your car! :biggrin:

I got confirmation from Ryan that my car was on a truck yesterday! Hopefully one of the guys from Shipping Wars got it and is hauling ass! It also sounds like there is very little that will need to be done before delivery and he gave me the option of taking delivery of the car while waiting on some interior parts that would need to be replaced as there might be a delay in getting them right away. I said that would be fine as long as it was explicitly stated in the paperwork what would be done. Only a few short months left of great driving weather here in Ohio!

I got confirmation from Ryan that my car was on a truck yesterday! Hopefully one of the guys from Shipping Wars got it and is hauling ass! It also sounds like there is very little that will need to be done before delivery and he gave me the option of taking delivery of the car while waiting on some interior parts that would need to be replaced as there might be a delay in getting them right away. I said that would be fine as long as it was explicitly stated in the paperwork what would be done. Only a few short months left of great driving weather here in Ohio!

Great news. Congrats - I'm supremely confident you're gonna love it!

We're picking up #889 Blue/Tan Sport 2.0 tomorrow. The one shown here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141000261810#ht_1922wt_1182

Last time I looked there was nothing on the Ebay or Lemonfree sites, and only one car on the Tesla CPO site, so I think they have stopped advertising while they clear their backlog. It's been slow dealing with Ryan and getting the car serviced. We also got the J1772 thrown in for free, and didn't want a hard top. I also took the tires as-is for $1000 off so I can put my own choice on. The existing AD07 tires have some useful life left, but not enough for CPO spec, and I want to put Toyo R888's on next :)

I also test drove the Green #281 car that has a hard top, nice car but we decided we didn't want a 1.5 or that color.

Still waiting on #115 here. I received my paperwork but there is no mention of the warranty for the car or the battery. That was back on Sunday 7/14/13 and no response since that time. I did reply back to Ryan asking about this paperwork issue regarding the warranty and asking for update on the refurbishment of the car but no word as of today. I'll keep you posted as I move through this VERY slow process. Probably a good thing they pulled back on marketing the cars as the process is already very slow. I was able to get a copy of the master list of all available Roadsters it is big number of cars in inventory.

Other CPO buyers - sounds like a few of us might be in the market for a J1772 adapter. Tesla offered me one instead of a UMC, but I ended up taking the UMC and buying a used J1772 adapter from these boards. If you can't negotiate one from Tesla, The Can product looks like a better option and had I know about it, I would have snagged one of these instead:

The CAN - Tesla to J1772

Looks way more convenient than the big cable from Tesla. I think one of the Roadster owners here might make them. Anyway, looks pretty solid if anyone else is looking. Wish I had know earlier.

well I heard from Ryan today. My car is located in Menlo Park now and is in cue to be completed this week. including fan and PEM upgrades. The target delivery date is Monday 7/29/13. I put my deposit down on 6/12/13 so this has been a bit of a wait but worth it. We also got the 3/37 car and battery warranty paperwork finished. According to my conversation with Ryan today the Roadster CPO program is now sold out! He said all cars are sold and they are working through refurbishment. I really feel like I got a great deal on abetter than new car in the exact color combo I wanted. So yes the wait has been annoying but worth it. Last week the electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 with 50 Amp service and the kicker it is color matched to my car Fusion Red and Tan
9AD7BDD6-9EB8-42FC-BB58-5C7C09870823.JPG