Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO/Used Lessons Learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I would have to say the valuation makes sense based on what they are they selling it for. There’s a 2016 90D with 50k miles on their used site right now for $45k. Probably doesn’t have all the options you do, but if you figure in your in higher mileage and the Tesla markup they need to make, $37k isn’t too far off.

Ones with enhanced AP or AP2 is the next price jump it seems

I get it. Just sad. We all know how cars lose value the moment they leave the lot, but DAMN that is a lot of value lost...

Let's stop with the fanboyism.

There is no other retail space, online or in person, where anyone here would tolerate such a purchase policy. None. All of you would be all over your social media denouncing the company, its policy and advise everyone you know and those you don't know to stay away. Yelp would be flush with negative ratings. Tesla has not "lost its way." It is "The Way", and they know you, the Apple-trained enthusiasts, will put up with it because Elon, like Jobs before him, understands fanboyism. These poor policies and poor business models are fixed by taking your business elsewhere, not by taking it in the behind. Tesla cannot/will not survive as a car company treating high-paying customers like afterthoughts. Yes, I like my car, it rides great. But in the end, it is a car, not an artificial heart and you won't die without it. Will I ever put up with a such nonsense CPO purchase experience again? No. If you really want your stock value to rise, delay your gratification and wait it out. Come back when they value you as a customer, not a bank account.

Let's stop with the fanboyism.

There is no other retail space, online or in person, where anyone here would tolerate such a purchase policy. None. All of you would be all over your social media denouncing the company, its policy and advise everyone you know and those you don't know to stay away. Yelp would be flush with negative ratings. Tesla has not "lost its way." It is "The Way", and they know you, the Apple-trained enthusiasts, will put up with it because Elon, like Jobs before him, understands fanboyism. These poor policies and poor business models are fixed by taking your business elsewhere, not by taking it in the behind. Tesla cannot/will not survive as a car company treating high-paying customers like afterthoughts. Yes, I like my car, it rides great. But in the end, it is a car, not an artificial heart and you won't die without it. Will I ever put up with a such nonsense CPO purchase experience again? No. If you really want your stock value to rise, delay your gratification and wait it out. Come back when they value you as a customer, not a bank account.

Fair points, and that would be the just and righteous thing to do., but the problem for the average Tesla used consumer such as myself, is that we have limited funds and we want the best we can get for those dollars. I had to replace my old car, and there really is nothing else that comes remotely close to a MS85D for my criteria within a $45K budget (SUV-esque cargo space, exciting driving dynamics, excellent fuel efficiently/cost, lower cost of maintenance, sleek tasteful looks, and a certain level of class and elegance). There is no direct competition at this point for anyone that specific wants a MS, let alone at the price of a used MS. Now the Porsche Taycan may be able to fiercely compete, but too soon to tell how it actually will be, and there won’t be a decently priced used market for many years.

I didn’t get a Tesla to join the “fan base”. I didn’t know such a great active community even exists until my purchasing process, and none of my friends or family have Teslas. Simply put, I got it because it’s a sick ass car haha.

Last edited:
Fair points, and that would be the just and righteous thing to do., but the problem for the average Tesla used consumer such as myself, is that we have limited funds and we want the best we can get for those dollars. I had to replace my old car, and there really is nothing else that comes remotely close to a MS85D for my criteria within a $45K budget (SUV-esque cargo space, exciting driving dynamics, excellent fuel efficiently/cost, lower cost of maintenance, sleek tasteful looks, and a certain level of class and elegance). There is no direct competition at this point for anyone that specific wants a MS, let alone at the price of a used MS. Now the Porsche Taycan may be able to fiercely compete, but too soon to tell how it actually will be, and there won’t be a decently priced used market for many years.

I didn’t get a Tesla to join the “fan base”. I didn’t know such a great active community even exists until my purchasing process, and none of my friends or family have Teslas. Simply put, I got it because it’s a sick ass car haha.

I hear ya. I'm not spendy and thought I'd get a better value going CPO. But I got that little voice in my head a few times asking "Is this really happening?" and all the flags went up. Yes, I like my car, though for a CPO it was hardly a "CPO". I mean, bubbles in the screen? Sunroof rattling because the weatherstrip fell off? Get someone on the phone? Then I tried to get a service appointment via the website and I'd need a day off from work 3 months from now to get the screen redone and all the other rattles addressed. My wife drives the MB and she is treated like a queen. That contrast is so severe that it puts Tesla, the car company, in peril. The (very helpful) fanbase, at this point, is limited to those willing to excuse Tesla for these glaring shortcomings. Once options become available, Musk will sell his albatross and concentrate on more profitable rockets, leaving many Tesla owners shocked that they were promised the moon. BTW, Tesla lost $700 million this quarter.

I hear ya. I'm not spendy and thought I'd get a better value going CPO. But I got that little voice in my head a few times asking "Is this really happening?" and all the flags went up. Yes, I like my car, though for a CPO it was hardly a "CPO". I mean, bubbles in the screen? Sunroof rattling because the weatherstrip fell off? Get someone on the phone? Then I tried to get a service appointment via the website and I'd need a day off from work 3 months from now to get the screen redone and all the other rattles addressed. My wife drives the MB and she is treated like a queen. That contrast is so severe that it puts Tesla, the car company, in peril. The (very helpful) fanbase, at this point, is limited to those willing to excuse Tesla for these glaring shortcomings. Once options become available, Musk will sell his albatross and concentrate on more profitable rockets, leaving many Tesla owners shocked that they were promised the moon. BTW, Tesla lost $700 million this quarter.

Yeah, as a Finance/Accounting professional, that $700M loss did make me worry a bit as to the future of the company.. It's an odd feeling that the future sustainability of my vehicle may hinge on start-up-esque ambitions (like robo-taxi fleet to generate revenue). That is the dice I'm rolling and I guess the slight fanboyism due to my belief in the Company.

As crappy as it is, I think it was right decision for Tesla to change their CPO program to simply "used". Tesla has too many strategic priorities and missions as a company. Focusing on a solid CPO program is definitely not high on that list. I think they need to be very transparent about what their "used program" is, which starts with 1) allowing customers to go see the sold-as-is car in person.. it is ridiculous to not allow that. It is zero cost to them and gives us the customers 100x confidence and the peace of mind before we actually put the "down payment", 2) for those that can't see the car in person, take 10x better quality pictures, and 3) the $2,500 "down payment" must be easily transferable to any other Tesla vehicle without question. It can be non-refundable, but can't be non-transferable with their current process of blind ordering..

As to the service shortfalls, I'm not sure where you live, but 3 month out appointment is pretty ridiculous indeed. For me, I live in Orange County and there were appointments I could make within a week or 2, depending on time of day. They also told me to just stop in for a quick inspection prior to my actual appointment so that they can make sure they have the necessary parts to fix it during the time of appointment, which is nice. I'm not sure how they handle emergency type situations where a car is inoperable , but hopefully they'll take it in right away and give a loaner?

Every successful company has their "edge" that attracts their base. Tesla will never be able to compete with MB's level of service or interior comforts, but MB and other traditional car manufacturers will also never come close to Tesla on the technology innovation front. They pour their money into different buckets to serve different wants and needs.

Reactions: rafacq
I had a poor experience with both the ordering process and delivery execution. I think I tried to send this feedback to the Tesla executive team but their form didn't even work. Anyway, here it is if you are interested (purchased 2015 90D in August 2018). It's a great car but there is something wrong with the culture at this company and how they treat people.

First, it was difficult getting a response when contacting Tesla about used vehicles listed on the website. More than once, the car was already sold by the time the sales advisor responded. The photos/information provided of the vehicles (located in another state) were inadequate. No photos of the dashboard, trunk, frunk, roof/sunroof or displays. It's also unclear which vehicles include the tech package features and which do not. You need to be more forthcoming with the information on a vehicle that cannot be inspected in person before placing a non-refundable deposit.

After I ordered a pre-owned Tesla Model S, I needed the signed contract in order to finalize my loan. I was told the contract could be delivered as late as 24 hours before delivery. This obviously does not give the customer enough time to finalize a loan, get a check, etc.. It's like you are purposely making the process difficult for the customer. You can automatically generate a sales contract instantly so this delay makes no sense at all.

I ordered the car on 7/29, and on 7/30 arranged a date/time for delivery (for Saturday, 8/18). Tesla failed to get the car from CT to VA in 3 weeks. My delivery appointment was canceled TWICE. A sales advisor even told me the car was en route when it was not (also known as a LIE).

I had to cancel/rearrange multiple meetings and appointments, as well as change my insurance 3 times due to this ridiculous mess.

When I went to pick up the car, I waited for half an hour for the delivery person to become available. When he was available, he immediately put all of the papers in front of me to sign. I had not seen the car in person at this point. Obviously, I'm going to want to inspect the vehicle in person before finalizing the purchase. I told him this and said I needed 15-20 minutes to inspect/test the vehicle before I'd be ready (I could have done this when I arrived, obviously, but this was not presented as an option). After a little while, he came over and said he needed to sign the papers NOW. Fine. I told him that I saw a bunch of scratches on the paint that were not shown in the photos I was given when asking about the car before the sale, and I asked if I could have a complimentary bottle of touch-up paint due to this. He responded no, the car is sold "as is" and I could refuse delivery if I didn't like the condition (and, presumably, forfeit my $1,000 deposit). What an asshole response this is!

No written information was provided about either warranty (I asked), map updates, Internet service, etc. I still don't know the answer to the last two.

You are selling luxury vehicles in the $50k-$150k price range. You really need to learn something about customer service because customers are expecting a much better experience than this.

Found this guy's CPO buying analysis interesting:

Found this guy's CPO buying analysis interesting:

Not my experience at all buying used Teslas directly from Tesla. I bought a Model S in November 2018, no issues what so ever with the purchase or the deliver. I even so the video before I purchased my second, I was concerned. I bough a Model X at the beginning for April. I even had to travel from Miami to Orlando. No issues with the second purchase either.

Regards,
Alex

Not my experience at all buying used Teslas directly from Tesla. I bought a Model S in November 2018, no issues what so ever with the purchase or the deliver. I even so the video before I purchased my second, I was concerned. I bough a Model X at the beginning for April. I even had to travel from Miami to Orlando. No issues with the second purchase either.

Regards,
Alex

That’s great to hear. Truly hope everyone gets that kind of customer service.

I sold my 2013 S 85 pp and put money down on CPO first part of May. Was told car was in Vegas and would be ready by 17th. Got text yesterday stating car ended up in NY and would be shipped to Mn at no cost to me and it would take 2-3 weeks potentially. The CPO or used process is horrible in regards to lack of responsiveness by sale staff. The main reason I bought from Tesla is for the warranty. My prior 2013 S had a lot of bugs to work out like
Failed mirrors, worn out sun roof cables, fan went out, rusted rear hatch bolts. I also has water condensation on both tail lights, as well as a few front and lower control arms on drivers side. If I bought pp I know I would have sunk money into the car. Even if the buying experience is crappy on the front end you still most of the time get excellent service. I bought 2015 85D dark blue black interior and look forward to getting it some day. I am driving an ice and hating it till my S arrives.

Next Monday he called to schedule my delivery. They had an appointment for Wednesday. We flew from Dallas that morning and got to the San Diego Service Center a few minutes after 9am. Colton met us when he arrived to open the center.View attachment 398587 View attachment 398588

how was sales tax handled in San Diego - and what did you have to do back home in Texas? I'm about to go pickup my MS85 in LA, I live in Austin, TX. My understanding is that I'm paying full CA sales tax on delivery and than Texas DMV doesn't charge me anything since CA is higher than TX

Reactions: rafacq
I got my 7/2016 Model S in April, flew from Michigan to pick it up at the Paramus SC. After having a few other cars get sold right after getting the pictures I saw this one that had the right colors and options for me and didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger and buy it. I arrived an hour and a half before my appointment and was helped right away. The car was in excellent shape and the people helping me were great. I decided to buy from Tesla used inventory because of the warranty, selection and accurate description of the options. Had a lot of fun driving it home and getting to know more about the car. When I got home and was washing it I noticed that the 90D badge was missing. Checking the photos I saw that it was missing on them as well. Emailed my delivery advisor and he arranged to have that addressed. Mobile service came and installed the badge. Is the car perfect, no, it’s a 3 year old car but was well cared for. Expensive, yes, but so much better than anything else- kind of ruined my enthusiasm for my otherwise great 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Later noticed the rusted bolts on the top of the hatch struts and that will be taken care of as well. And the airbag recall will be taken care of by mobile service too. I really love the car -a blast to drive and fantastic sound system. I will never buy another ICE car, and really enjoy the AP 1 and the free supercharging.
Silver/grey leather, Ultra High Fidelity, Subzero, and Smart Air Suspension.

Reactions: kermit_xc