Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO/Used Lessons Learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This community has been so helpful to me in my Tesla purchasing process that I thought I would share some recent lessons learned for future CPO/used buyers on the 2015 85D I picked up last week. This is obviously just based on my ONE experience, which could differ with a different vehicle or different sales rep.

Here we go..

- Really do your research on not just the year of the car you are buying but preferably pinpoint to the exact month that it was manufactured to understand what options you are really getting. Tesla, unlike other manufacturers, constantly make changes to their cars. The same year car manufactured a month apart, or even in the same month, may have differences in them that you would actually care about. In my case, the seats from original standard to nextgen which 2015 had both. Once you know the cars manufactured month/year, use this website to see what options you may have/not have: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki. Alternatively, use the VIN number to try to find some clues via research on these forums of what you may/may not have.

- Good used cars do go fast. I've seen vehicles I wanted take down the same day it was listed. Do your research, know what you want, and be ready to pull the trigger.
Tesla seems to use some sort of time based discount system where I see a lot of vehicles get cheaper every day it is not sold. Good strategy to keep down inventory.

- The $2,500 towards the used vehicle that you're required to make prior to even seeing the car is a down payment towards that specific vehicle and NOT a deposit.
The sale rep originally make it sound like a deposit and if I don't like the car I see in person, I could easily change that deposit to another used vehicle. He even told me that of the 150+ used Tesla's he's sold, only a few refused the delivery, and one was an example where they decided to get another Tesla instead (forgot it was another new or used one), making it sound like it was easy to swap my "deposit" from one Tesla car to another. Later on when I was hesitating about the seat (gen 1 /1.5) potentially not meeting my needs and asked if it wasn't comfortable for me, can I move my deposit to another used vehicle with Nextgen seats, he then changed his tone from that first call and said that the $2,500 is a down payment and the seats are not fitting my needs would not be a valid reason to refuse delivery, even though I tried to test these seats out before I purchased, but they were not available at the centers for me to try, and I also said I would drive to the car's location to try out the seats, but the sales rep refused to let me do that. So I was committed to buying a car that I can not test out the seats for, because of the impression he gave me on the first call that it was easy to switch the "deposit/down payment" as long as it was a car directly through Tesla. Luckily I didn't have to push to return since my wife ultimately preferred the standard seats over the more restricting bucket type nextgen seats.

- The pictures they send may not at all capture the damages of the vehicle, even ones that are significant/obvious. Of the pictures they sent me, it only depicted one of the damages which were scratches on the body near the tire, I looked through the pictures with the sales rep and we both agreed that it looks good except for that one picture. The day I inspected it, these were the issues I noted: 1) 2 rims had severe curb rashes, which event though there were pictures of each rim, they were really low quality and impossible to tell (they later indicated that they would fix it for free at a later service date and noted it in my account for this), 2) scratches on the right back side of car (this was the pictured damage; however, the picture of this had water drops all over it still and it was impossible to tell the extent of the scratch, which was much worse than depicted. They took the car back after i mentioned it and and later on buffed most of it out), 3) Big scratches inside the trunk lift gate (they indicated they can't fix this and it was part of normal wear. I wasn't too concerned with this as the items I carry would eventually scratch this part up anyways, and being black interior, it wasn't super noticeable), 4) big white scratch on back seat leather (they took it back and probably used some type of liquid leather repair or something, but they fixed it enough that it wasn't noticeable anymore, it helped that it was black leather I guess, 5) looked like a bunch of damage of sorts on the driver side silver door trim (scratches, discoloration, hard to tell at the time). They indicated that they cannot fix that damage, I was ready to have to have that trim replaced, but when I got home, took a magic eraser to it, and it came right off :).

- On delivery day, do not rush to sign the agreements/forms, take your time to inspect the vehicle and call out all the imperfections and have them attempt to fix them (or put it on a Due Bill on your account which they will fix for free on a later visit). Take a good flash light with you to inspect the interior carefully, Re-inspect what they "fixed" when they come back and make sure it is satisfactory to you or else have them fix it again. There's a 37 point check list posted on these forums some where that I used as a checklist to run through. DO NOT let them rush you to sign.. the person tried to get me to do the paper work while they where fixing it, I refused and insisted on waiting until all fixes are done and the car is in a condition satisfactory to me. Don't sign anything until they have fixed it to your satisfaction.

Super long winded.. but hope that helps prospective buyers! With all this considerations and stress I went through with the process, I am still beyond giddy with my beautiful Tesla! :)

Photo Apr 12, 1 36 34 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 12, 1 37 38 PM.jpg

Congrats, buddy. The car is beautiful. I appreciate you taking time to type this as I am just waiting for the call.

How long was it from the time you ordered / deposited until you got the car?

I ordered/made the down payment on 3/31 and picked up on 4/12. That was from San Diego to Costa Mesa delivery center, about 70 miles; however, I probably did create a 2-3 day delay since I was trying to switch my down to another used vehicle and that caused some confusion between the sales rep and the delivery rep.

Good luck on your process!

This community has been so helpful to me in my Tesla purchasing process that I thought I would share some recent lessons learned for future CPO/used buyers on the 2015 85D I picked up last week. This is obviously just based on my ONE experience, which could differ with a different vehicle or different sales rep.

Nice write up - will bookmark for future CPO buyers.

I understand that on CPO's you can refuse delivery, as long as you pick out another car within 7 days. Pretty sure I saw this in writing, although it seems a given SC/DA may interpret this differently, and it may have changed since I saw that.

I still prefer the approach you took. IMO, CPO is better than PP, since you will get the 4 yr warranty. I also appreciate the fact you pushed back and made them fix things. They need to improve the process, the more people that demand good service, the better. It is for Tesla's own good, IMO

What month is your build date? I note you have silver trim on the rear air dam, I do not. I thought that was only on the P85D cars

Here we go..

- Really do your research on not just the year of the car you are buying but preferably pinpoint to the exact month that it was manufactured to understand what options you are really getting. Tesla, unlike other manufacturers, constantly make changes to their cars. The same year car manufactured a month apart, or even in the same month, may have differences in them that you would actually care about. In my case, the seats from original standard to nextgen which 2015 had both. Once you know the cars manufactured month/year, use this website to see what options you may have/not have: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki. Alternatively, use the VIN number to try to find some clues via research on these forums of what you may/may not have.

- Good used cars do go fast. I've seen vehicles I wanted take down the same day it was listed. Do your research, know what you want, and be ready to pull the trigger.
Tesla seems to use some sort of time based discount system where I see a lot of vehicles get cheaper every day it is not sold. Good strategy to keep down inventory.

- The $2,500 towards the used vehicle that you're required to make prior to even seeing the car is a down payment towards that specific vehicle and NOT a deposit.
The sale rep originally make it sound like a deposit and if I don't like the car I see in person, I could easily change that deposit to another used vehicle. He even told me that of the 150+ used Tesla's he's sold, only a few refused the delivery, and one was an example where they decided to get another Tesla instead (forgot it was another new or used one), making it sound like it was easy to swap my "deposit" from one Tesla car to another. Later on when I was hesitating about the seat (gen 1 /1.5) potentially not meeting my needs and asked if it wasn't comfortable for me, can I move my deposit to another used vehicle with Nextgen seats, he then changed his tone from that first call and said that the $2,500 is a down payment and the seats are not fitting my needs would not be a valid reason to refuse delivery, even though I tried to test these seats out before I purchased, but they were not available at the centers for me to try, and I also said I would drive to the car's location to try out the seats, but the sales rep refused to let me do that. So I was committed to buying a car that I can not test out the seats for, because of the impression he gave me on the first call that it was easy to switch the "deposit/down payment" as long as it was a car directly through Tesla. Luckily I didn't have to push to return since my wife ultimately preferred the standard seats over the more restricting bucket type nextgen seats.

- The pictures they send may not at all capture the damages of the vehicle, even ones that are significant/obvious. Of the pictures they sent me, it only depicted one of the damages which were scratches on the body near the tire, I looked through the pictures with the sales rep and we both agreed that it looks good except for that one picture. The day I inspected it, these were the issues I noted: 1) 2 rims had severe curb rashes, which event though there were pictures of each rim, they were really low quality and impossible to tell (they later indicated that they would fix it for free at a later service date and noted it in my account for this), 2) scratches on the right back side of car (this was the pictured damage; however, the picture of this had water drops all over it still and it was impossible to tell the extent of the scratch, which was much worse than depicted. They took the car back after i mentioned it and and later on buffed most of it out), 3) Big scratches inside the trunk lift gate (they indicated they can't fix this and it was part of normal wear. I wasn't too concerned with this as the items I carry would eventually scratch this part up anyways, and being black interior, it wasn't super noticeable), 4) big white scratch on back seat leather (they took it back and probably used some type of liquid leather repair or something, but they fixed it enough that it wasn't noticeable anymore, it helped that it was black leather I guess, 5) looked like a bunch of damage of sorts on the driver side silver door trim (scratches, discoloration, hard to tell at the time). They indicated that they cannot fix that damage, I was ready to have to have that trim replaced, but when I got home, took a magic eraser to it, and it came right off :).

- On delivery day, do not rush to sign the agreements/forms, take your time to inspect the vehicle and call out all the imperfections and have them attempt to fix them (or put it on a Due Bill on your account which they will fix for free on a later visit). Take a good flash light with you to inspect the interior carefully, Re-inspect what they "fixed" when they come back and make sure it is satisfactory to you or else have them fix it again. There's a 37 point check list posted on these forums some where that I used as a checklist to run through. DO NOT let them rush you to sign.. the person tried to get me to do the paper work while they where fixing it, I refused and insisted on waiting until all fixes are done and the car is in a condition satisfactory to me. Don't sign anything until they have fixed it to your satisfaction.

Super long winded.. but hope that helps prospective buyers! With all this considerations and stress I went through with the process, I am still beyond giddy with my beautiful Tesla! :)

View attachment 397594 View attachment 397595

I took delivery of my 2015 S85D CPO on April 3, 13 days after putting in my deposit online.

The first sales advisor called me 4 days after I placed my deposit and he was worthless. 2 days later, a delivery advisor emailed me and we later spoke on the phone. He was very helpful and informative. 2 days later he sent me the MVPA. That was on a Friday. On Saturday I had all my financing completed and uploaded to my Tesla account.

Next Monday he called to schedule my delivery. They had an appointment for Wednesday. We flew from Dallas that morning and got to the San Diego Service Center a few minutes after 9am. Colton met us when he arrived to open the center.

He was super friendly and started our deliver process shortly thereafter, much sooner than our 12:30pm appointment. He provided lots of information and went through many of the car features. I was allowed to inspect the car without pressure and all my questions were answered. He even has kept corresponding with me days after the delivery.

Our car was almost perfect. The only critical item I was not pleased was a small dent in the hood which I certainly cannot see on any of the photos I received. Colton said it was on one of the photos, but in my opinion it’s really very hard to notice! Since otherwise the car was super clean and looked awesome, we took delivery. I figured a good paintless dent repair guy should be able to fix it for around $100 to $150 so I was not that concerned.

Once we drove back to Dallas, the Plano Service center gave me the name of a dent repairman who has done many Tesla’s. Chad repaired the hood dent and another small door ding for $250. He did an amazing job! I can see why he was recommended.

I think Tesla should have provided better photos of the dent and made them very clear to the prospective buyer. I think Tesla could ha had it fixed as otherwise the car was flawless! But at the end spending $250 made the car perfect and I’m so happy with it!

54D3C321-EC7F-49AB-BACA-858F118ECA92.jpeg
7940B743-7BFB-4785-9A24-5FDC03EE5D92.jpeg

Nice... my experience last Sept even smoother, and no defects of importance. I attribute this to the previous owner who also lived in San Diego area, and obviously took extremely good care of the car, and adding thins like full window tint that I don't think the SC noticed.

Despite all the problems that some have had, I think driving out to pick up a CA car, single owner, that came off a lease is a good approach. If it is a good car, it doesn't matter that Tesla does not do much to the car prior to resale.

Reactions: drummerboy7816
All valid points by the OP.

Tesla selling used cars is still very much in a state of flux... they’ll eventually get there, but in the meantime, we’ve heard the many horror stories.

My short (good) story is I bought a 2016 MS late last year. I traveled 1000 miles to pick it up. It was in better shape than expected, but it had a small hole in the bumper that wasn’t made obvious in the photos. Tesla took care of it. It was a great experience overall.

I think most used car sales through Tesla go very well. You seem to just hear about the bad ones because they’re anomalies and they make for interesting tales. I’d bet for every bad story, there are at least 10 good stories that aren’t mentioned.

Here we go..

Drummerboy:

2 comments:

First, I think it is unconscionable for Tesla to not allow you to switch a deposit from one car to another when you haven't had a chance to see the car in person. Teslas are expensive cars, up there with large BMWs and S class Mercedes, and having owned both, they would never treat a customer that way.

In the same vein, neither of those companies would deliver a used CPO car to a customer with the laundry list of cosmetic issues you stated. Allow wheel curb rash would have been fixed along with body scratches buffed out/repaired BEFORE they'd even list the car for sale. They take pride in what they deliver.

Both would seem to indicate that they don't give a hoot about client experience, with the way they delivered the car to you being completely unprofessional and downright insulting.

Good luck with it.

Maybe the wording of the down/deposit was different in the past when it was CPO vs now it's called "used", but here's the excerpt from my order agreement:

upload_2019-4-19_13-39-50.png

They make it very clear that the $2,500 is to make up for their cost to get this vehicle ready for you and it is non-refundable. There is no where in any of the agreements I saw indicating that the 7 day policy towards another car. In talking to the sales rep, they said it's to prevent people from "shopping" while they incur all this cost to get the vehicle ready for me.. which I don't really understand what they really did besides a car wash, interior vacuum, shipping the car in their normal mass transit schedule for 70 miles .. because they definitely didn't make an effort for any "repairs" that seemed obvious which I made them do at the delivery center.

My car was manufactured March 2015.

Absolutely I agree that buying used through them is still 100% better than PP. for some weird reason, it seems like PP was actually MORE expensive than the Tesla used site for the ones I saw. Add on the 4yr/50k miles warranty it was a no brainier.

It's very obvious that they just don't care very much about their used sales process. They just want a fast efficient way to get that used inventory out their door ASAP. Even their regular sales center reps kept asking me why I'm buying used S and tried to get me to buy a new 3 or Y instead.. it's just their priorities it seems.

Agreed. There's definitely a bad-taste-in-mouth factor with this process for me. I think if it had gone slightly differently I could have been much angrier about the process (e.g. if I really cared about the deep scratches on the inside of the lift gate, or if the original leather seats did not fit my needs).

Anybody know how to truly estimate the value of your Tesla on the used market? I am interested in selling mine to fund the purchase of a newer model as I JUST missed the AP2.0 by two months and I use it HEAVILY. Want to be able to use the AP3.0 when released. I contacted Tesla and am not happy with the trade in value I was quoted for my 6/2016 S90D...