TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CPO/Used Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Model S' started by drummerboy7816, Apr 16, 2019.

1. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Sure...check out EV CPO Hunter site. Better than Edmunds. You can check all the option codes.

2. drummerboy7816

If I had to give a low-hanging-fruit advice to Tesla for their used program, it would be to spend more than 2 minutes taking pictures. Honestly, it's really bad when I can take 10x better pictures in 5 minutes of all the damages and imperfections of the car with my phone..

This would honestly solve so much of their complaints of expectations vs reality on delivery day.

• Like x 2
  3. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

All...this is really going to bite Tesla with the used model threes. They will not be in as good as the 100k cars coming off of lease agreement year or so ago. The better bring back the original full CPO program back!

Also, see picture of my order agreement circa Sept last year. Do you see the last sentence on your MVOA?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  4. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

5. raphy3

raphy3 Member

Too bad there is so much onus on the buyer now. When I bought in 2017 it was understood that the reason the CPOs were so expensive is because they extensively restored them. In my case, for example they removed curb rash and buffed scratches before I picked it up.

• Like x 1
  6. guardian312000

guardian312000 New Member

Congrats!

• Like x 1
  7. drummerboy7816

Oh wow, nope, mine ends right after the cancellation part that I posted.. That would have been nice and I would have been able to switch my down by that time.

8. drummerboy7816

It does seem like a very deliberate change in Tesla's philosophy for their used inventory when they switched from CPO to Used. Instead of spending their time/money on getting that used vehicle to a high standard condition and charge higher prices for it, they sell it pretty much "as is" with general mechanical inspections only, but then passing some of that savings to us I guess.

9. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

10. raphy3

raphy3 Member

I think you're right that there are indeed savings, because the price of all the cars on EVCPO have been dropping rapidly. The problem is it leads to a pretty confusing process for me. The resale prices are also tanking I guess because of all the other actions Tesla's been taking, like dropping the prices on new MS's by huge amounts all of a sudden.

It's confusing me because I'm trying to figure out if I want to "upgrade" my CPO P85 to a slightly newer car with AP1 (like an 85D, P85D, 90D; I might also consider 70Ds if they're "uncorked"). They have dropped a lot in price and are now way south of 40k. but I have no clue how much id get for mine. something tells me I'll be quite disappointed :)

11. drummerboy7816

I'm staying away from checking prices now just to avoid the instant buyer's remorse factor haha.. I have no doubt that in a year, I could probably get a P85D, same mileage same condition, for what I paid for my 85D now, or less!

Yeah, I don't think they offer good trade-in values.. not sure on Teslas specifically, but I'm just basing it on what they offered for my 2010 VW GTI. They offered $5k whereas Carmax gave me $6.5k. They do price match though.

12. AlexP

AlexP Member

I have used Vroom.com with good success. They make offers and buy cars online. No need to make trip.

Regards,
    Alex

13. Grant

Grant Member

I had a poor experience with both the ordering process and delivery execution. I think I tried to send this feedback to the Tesla executive team but their form didn't even work. Anyway, here it is if you are interested (purchased 2015 90D in August 2018). It's a great car but there is something wrong with the culture at this company and how they treat people.

First, it was difficult getting a response when contacting Tesla about used vehicles listed on the website. More than once, the car was already sold by the time the sales advisor responded. The photos/information provided of the vehicles (located in another state) were inadequate. No photos of the dashboard, trunk, frunk, roof/sunroof or displays. It's also unclear which vehicles include the tech package features and which do not. You need to be more forthcoming with the information on a vehicle that cannot be inspected in person before placing a non-refundable deposit.

After I ordered a pre-owned Tesla Model S, I needed the signed contract in order to finalize my loan. I was told the contract could be delivered as late as 24 hours before delivery. This obviously does not give the customer enough time to finalize a loan, get a check, etc.. It's like you are purposely making the process difficult for the customer. You can automatically generate a sales contract instantly so this delay makes no sense at all.

I ordered the car on 7/29, and on 7/30 arranged a date/time for delivery (for Saturday, 8/18). Tesla failed to get the car from CT to VA in 3 weeks. My delivery appointment was canceled TWICE. A sales advisor even told me the car was en route when it was not (also known as a LIE).

I had to cancel/rearrange multiple meetings and appointments, as well as change my insurance 3 times due to this ridiculous mess.

When I went to pick up the car, I waited for half an hour for the delivery person to become available. When he was available, he immediately put all of the papers in front of me to sign. I had not seen the car in person at this point. Obviously, I'm going to want to inspect the vehicle in person before finalizing the purchase. I told him this and said I needed 15-20 minutes to inspect/test the vehicle before I'd be ready (I could have done this when I arrived, obviously, but this was not presented as an option). After a little while, he came over and said he needed to sign the papers NOW. Fine. I told him that I saw a bunch of scratches on the paint that were not shown in the photos I was given when asking about the car before the sale, and I asked if I could have a complimentary bottle of touch-up paint due to this. He responded no, the car is sold "as is" and I could refuse delivery if I didn't like the condition (and, presumably, forfeit my $1,000 deposit). What an asshole response this is!

No written information was provided about either warranty (I asked), map updates, Internet service, etc. I still don't know the answer to the last two.

You are selling luxury vehicles in the $50k-$150k price range. You really need to learn something about customer service because customers are expecting a much better experience than this.

• Like x 2
  14. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Maybe barter is the future...want to trade?

15. raphy3

raphy3 Member

In my case it was the reverse. Tesla offered me $8k for my car which the wackos at Carmax offered me something nutty like $1.5k for. That was definitely a joke and they thought I was a moron. It was a turbocharged convertible with 265hp. and it was June.

16. Tonic750

Tonic750 Member

Good initial post. I agree with most comments on here...poor pictures, hit and miss sales reps, etc. I'm early in the process, just paid deposit of $2500 today. Will do a write-up of my experience when completed. So far I've emailed and called my sales rep several times before putting down a deposit when I had questions about other cars (that all sold within a few days) and my sales rep has yet to contact me back at all other than the initial 1st email that is a copied and pasted response referencing various warranty and purchase info from their website. Luckily my local new vehicle sales dealership answered some questions for me and seemed genuinely interested in helping me as a customer.
    Fingers crossed as each day passes....

17. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Be curious if you have a better experience, living in a relative "Tesla Desert"

The fact the deposit is now apparently non refundable would have been a deal breaker for me...

Best of luck!

18. NoirMS

NoirMS Member

hope it goes well for you...
    I live in FL, picked up CPO in NY (pre delivery option), it was registered in NJ and was given CO temp plates...
    purchased (in full) last Oct...got title and plates mid Jan...
    so a total mess for me...and during the 7 days that I had from deposit to taking delivery, they lost the car, 48 hrs prior to my arrival, they hadn't located it (ended up they thought it was being delivered to them, but it sat at a Manheim facility and they had to go and get it themselves)....
    reps are def on both ends of spectrum... I got both
    best of luck...
    and congrats!!
    I'll say this... in the end, I could give 2 fks about the poor service (I left out other bs I experienced).... the car is so fkn awesome!

• Like x 1
  19. drummerboy7816

That's pretty much how I feel. It's hard to remember how crappy the process was every morning when I get in my car and drive to work haha..

• Like x 1
  20. pdq

pdq Member