TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CPO/Used Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Model S' started by drummerboy7816, Apr 16, 2019.

1. pdq

pdq Member

Drummerboy:

reading the excerpt from the Agreement that you posted, Tesla's policy is hogwash. Before they post a CPO car for sale, Mercedes and other high end car companies would fully detail the car, take care of any & all cosmetic problems both exterior and interior, put fresh tires, brakes, fluids and other things as needed. They would do that at THEIR expense, and would then be built into the sale price. It's part of the cost of doing business. Not until all this was done would they list the car for sale. They take pride in what they deliver to a customer.

2. raphy3

raphy3 Member

Tesla seems to have lost its way in this regard. I' starting to wonder if the 4yr warranty cars are "nice" while the 2yr warranty ones are just "as-is" crap shoots. $2500 Is kind of a lot to pay to play the lottery and discover your car has a giant gash in the side when you finally go to pick it up (after driving 2 hrs...).

3. NickleNiceness

Warranty is based on the year of car and mileage. Less than 4 years and 50K miles get the 4 year. Factory and or battery warranty otherwise. So a March 2015 car with 1 mile gets 2 year, and a May 2015 with 49,999 get 4 years.

4. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Nickle +1....

It would be nice if some cars got a better treatment than others, then at least one could pick your dice before you roll them.

I don't think any cars, since the real CPO process ended a few years back, get anything more than a quick once over. The condition of the car is probably determined by the prior owners.

5. vickh

vickh Active Member

I got a CPO refund in Feb. Has the policy changed?

6. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

According to Drummer, it has. See the images attached to prior posts

TL;DR;

The last sentence saying you can pick out another can in 72 hrs has been removed.

Being Tesla this may change again "Soon"

7. raphy3

raphy3 Member

Ah ok good info. Explains mine; it was 3.5 yrs old with 38k miles when bought. I have had it in the service center and a ranger out a few times so I'm really happy to have the warranty keep going now that I've had it two years.

8. drummerboy7816

Yep, no where does it mention that it is refundable anymore. It actually specifically says it is non-refundable.

9. vickh

vickh Active Member

it wasn't mention that it is refundable, but they didn't enforce in Feb

transfer option gone to?

10. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

11. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Like I said, I'm not going to buy a CPO Roadster II in 2025 like I planned!

12. AronAZ

AronAZ Member

Tesla’s used car selling process is borderline scammy. They intentionally take crappy photos, withhold condition info, perform no pre-inspection of the cars before taking the down payment (much less any reconditioning), are slow to respond or unreachable via full voicemail boxes, will not let you inspect the cars in person before requiring a “non refundable” down payment, and at least pressure you (if not outright require you) to make full payment and sign all delivery documents before presenting your car to you. At which point, inspection is pointless. The transaction is completed.

If everything goes to perfection, it’s fine. But if anything is out of order they’ve intentionally made it very costly and difficult for any consumer to be made whole outside their selective “generosity”.

I have 9 things pending remediation from my purchase, not including the 2 things they’ve flatly refused address. I love my car but their sales process sucks. I’m withholding judgement of their service but the process so far is subpar.

None of their mistreatment of customers is necessary. A little bit of transparency from the beginning would save them 75% of their workload and wouldn’t be pissing off most of us in the process. They are not even in the ballpark of their luxury rivals. At some point, that chicken will come home to roost.

OP - congrats on your purchase. You’re probably feeling a lot like me: a mix of happiness & bewilderment with a hint of frustration.

• Like x 3
  13. Sfluegge

Sfluegge Member

Tried Vroom and got the same value as Tesla was offering on trade in. Sad to say that my car 6/2016 Model S lost 80k in value since I drove it off the lot. I thought they held their value better than that.

14. vickh

vickh Active Member

wow what did you pay? Refresh ?

15. Sfluegge

Sfluegge Member

Vickh, mine was 117k off the lot. It is coming back valued around 37k. It is pristine but high milage. I have about 72,000 miles on it.

16. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

That sounds way low. Loaded 100D, I see 50-75k on Edmunds for trade in

I assume Tesla offered 37k?

17. erik_k

erik_k Member

Can you post specs and are you actually looking to sell it?

18. Sfluegge

Sfluegge Member

I love my car and would only sell it if doing so enabled me to move into a newer model with AP 3.0. That said, I was prepared to do that if I could have gotten closer to 60k for my current vehicle either by trade or sale...

Description
    - Model S 90D
    - All-Wheel Drive
    - Deep Blue Metallic Paint
    - All Glass Panoramic Roof
    - 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
    - Black Next Generation Seats
    - Matte Obeche Wood Décor
    - Integrated Center Console
    - Black Alcantara Headliner
    - Supercharger Enabled
    - High Amperage Charger Upgrade
    - Autopilot Convenience Features
    - Premium Upgrades Package
    - Smart Air Suspension
    - Ultra High Fidelity Sound
    - Subzero Weather Package

Scott

19. AlexP

AlexP Member

I bought my 2016 Model X 90D with 23K miles directly from Tesla for just under $65K. Before I even I picked up the car I had it appraised by Vroom. To my surprise they offered $64K with out even having pictures to show.
    GHQY4769.JPG
    That's how the car is configured.
    Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.49.00 AM.png
    And that's offer from Vroom.

Regards,
    Alex

20. drummerboy7816

Unfortunately I would have to say the valuation makes sense based on what they are they selling it for. There’s a 2016 90D with 50k miles on their used site right now for $45k. Probably doesn’t have all the options you do, but if you figure in your in higher mileage and the Tesla markup they need to make, $37k isn’t too far off.

Ones with enhanced AP or AP2 is the next price jump it seems