Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cquartz leather protectant, white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone tried Gyeon Leather Shield or LeatherCoat? They say both are matte finish, don't change the look or feel of the leather, and are designed for all automotive leather (not sure if that includes synthetic leather). Shield is a ceramic (SiO2) coat. They claim it lasts 12 months and is more geared toward new leather. Coat is resin-based and works on older, worn leather. They say it lasts 3 months. Both repel dirt and prevent discoloration. Coat specifically mentions protecting from jeans dye transfer.

I don't understand how a ceramic coating can possibly work on something like a seat. Supposedly the coating when used on a car's paint forms a hard glass like finish. In fact they caution you to throw away microfiber towels used in the process because of shards of quartz in the towel. I'm guessing it's a bit of marketing to borrow the 'ceramic' label for an interior protectant product.

I don't understand how a ceramic coating can possibly work on something like a seat. Supposedly the coating when used on a car's paint forms a hard glass like finish. In fact they caution you to throw away microfiber towels used in the process because of shards of quartz in the towel. I'm guessing it's a bit of marketing to borrow the 'ceramic' label for an interior protectant product.
It is my first time using it so I'm not sure. I assume it works in a similar fashion but is reformulated to be more flexible. Your protecting against stains in seats so I would think it gets into the leather pores and seals them up, and adds hydrophobic properties. So far it appears I am leaving less dye transfer on the side of my drivers seat, but it's been too short of a time to tell really. Still it seemed to get lightly darkened pretty quickly before where the bolster has some wrinkles (the wrinkles really show through when the seat is a little dirty) and I have noticed 0 transfer after a couple weeks now, so maybe it is working well. I know I feel safer wearing jeans in the car though. The Gyeon stuff you just apply and let dry the carpro version has you wipe off after it flashes.

I just applied cquartz leather to my white seats on my model X. This is before reading the warning not to apply it on white/light interiors. I guess we'll see how it goes since it's too late.

Can you update us on this? Any issue? How many layer did you apply?

I think the issues on white interior were back in 2016 when it came with a orange applicator which caused some yellowing. The new applicator are white.

Can you update us on this? Any issue? How many layer did you apply?

I think the issues on white interior were back in 2016 when it came with a orange applicator which caused some yellowing. The new applicator are white.

I did my white interior with it 2 months ago with 2 layers, no color issues with it.

Yes I think that warning was related to the orange applicator cloths, they now come with white ones.

• Informative
Reactions: x-cimo
I'm having a problem with CQuartz leather with my model Y black interior. I bought the CQuartz leather form Amazon and checked to make sure it is not expired (label says date code 2020). I first cleaned my seats with the Chemical guy orange degreaser (diluted to 1:8) and applied CQuartz leather 2 coats (30 mins between the first coat). The next day I noticed a lot of white stains on all my seats and I immediately regret doing this. I tried to deep clean the seats with the orange degreaser again and still see a lot of white stains. I then tried Armorall cleaning wipe and hydrogen peroxide but still have many obvious stains. about 60% clear. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Attachments

• IMG-6270.JPG
    IMG-6270.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG-6269.JPG
    IMG-6269.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 301