TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cquartz leather protectant, white interior

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by aydyn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. aydyn

aydyn Member

has anyone used ceramic coating on white interior? The oproduxt page cautions against use on white interiors but I really want to protect my white interior from jean transfer. Anyone?

2. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Best way to protect seats against jeans transfer is to give it a rub down with an alcohol-water mix weekly.

3. dek526

dek526 Member

i saw tim @ adonis coat a model s that had white interior with a ceramic coating back in apr.

4. favo

favo P3D+ owner

Anyone tried Gyeon Leather Shield or LeatherCoat? They say both are matte finish, don't change the look or feel of the leather, and are designed for all automotive leather (not sure if that includes synthetic leather). Shield is a ceramic (SiO2) coat. They claim it lasts 12 months and is more geared toward new leather. Coat is resin-based and works on older, worn leather. They say it lasts 3 months. Both repel dirt and prevent discoloration. Coat specifically mentions protecting from jeans dye transfer.

5. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

When we applied interior coatings on the white Tesla seats, we didn't notice any discoloration. I still recommend some upkeep on your end after the application just to be safe.

6. gx12ock

gx12ock New Member

I just applied cquartz leather to my white seats on my model X. This is before reading the warning not to apply it on white/light interiors. I guess we'll see how it goes since it's too late.

7. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I applied Gyeon Leather Shield since cquartz had a warning about using it on light interiors. Some people say they may have fixed it by changing the applicator though. The nice thing about Gyeon, is it's less than 1/2 the price.

8. mdelvin

mdelvin Member

Will it also prevent leather from cracking?

9. Glamisduner

Says it protects from UV, which can cause cracking. I'm not sure if your supposed to apply conditioners over it or what though. Do synthetic seats even need conditioners though?

10. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

I don't understand how a ceramic coating can possibly work on something like a seat. Supposedly the coating when used on a car's paint forms a hard glass like finish. In fact they caution you to throw away microfiber towels used in the process because of shards of quartz in the towel. I'm guessing it's a bit of marketing to borrow the 'ceramic' label for an interior protectant product.

11. Glamisduner

It is my first time using it so I'm not sure. I assume it works in a similar fashion but is reformulated to be more flexible. Your protecting against stains in seats so I would think it gets into the leather pores and seals them up, and adds hydrophobic properties. So far it appears I am leaving less dye transfer on the side of my drivers seat, but it's been too short of a time to tell really. Still it seemed to get lightly darkened pretty quickly before where the bolster has some wrinkles (the wrinkles really show through when the seat is a little dirty) and I have noticed 0 transfer after a couple weeks now, so maybe it is working well. I know I feel safer wearing jeans in the car though. The Gyeon stuff you just apply and let dry the carpro version has you wipe off after it flashes.

12. x-cimo

x-cimo Member

Can you update us on this? Any issue? How many layer did you apply?

I think the issues on white interior were back in 2016 when it came with a orange applicator which caused some yellowing. The new applicator are white.

13. BAven8068

BAven8068 Member

I did my white interior with it 2 months ago with 2 layers, no color issues with it.

Yes I think that warning was related to the orange applicator cloths, they now come with white ones.

• Informative x 1
  14. Glamisduner

I have noticed less color transfer after using the Gyeon product, I haven't had the clean the seats yet. I will try to remember to update on whether they are easier to clean or not. I still need to apply the rest of the product to my wifes SUV.

• Like x 1
  15. Mikey122687

Mikey122687 Member

I used Cquartz leather on my white seat. There was no discoloration or anything like that. The suede that came with the product was white (newer model). Don't get the one with the orange suede, those will transfer over to the white seat.

• Like x 1
  16. x-cimo

x-cimo Member

Thanks you all for your reply. I was worried initially but look pretty safe on ultra white!

Will be doing my car this weekend.

17. Superhighmile

Superhighmile New Member

Watch this

• Love x 1