Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked forelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to get these replaced with an improved party before failure?
I'm considering requesting my LH Fore Link be replaced a month from now after I'm back from traveling.

It also would be nice to know if a bad batch of Fore Links exists. The original, unbroken, LH Fore Link that's still in my P90D has a laser-etched serial number (IDG??) but it looks like the laser-etcher didn't work too well.
LH Fore Link number.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't take note of my broken RH Fore Link serial number before it was replaced. If anyone else chimes in here with a broken Fore Link, please take note of its laser-etched serial number before it is replaced, it may be a clue to a bad batch.

If anyone is still tuned-in on this thread - My other Fore Link just cracked!!!

Each time I hit the brake this morning, I heard a rattling noise, so I reached around my left front tire with my cell phone and took some pictures. Sure enough, it cracked in the same area that my Right Fore Link cracked 7 months ago, which is in the area around the bushing on the wheel-end of the Fore Link.

This coincidence sure seems like it points to a bad batch of Fore Links or some other systemic problem.

Is it just me or has anyone else had both Fore Links crack?

Update: Tried to drive the car today and it made a sound similar to the one I heard last year before the forelink broke. It sounds like something metal is dragging on the ground, but I couldn't see anything. I tried to see if the forelink was splayed out but couldn't see that either. In any event, it doesn't sound driveable so I'm going to have it towed to the service center. Will update more after

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm very curious if your new problem is the Steering Knuckle on the side where your Fore Link broke.

I just picked up my car from having its 2nd Fore Link replaced. The Fore Link was in stock but they kept my car for a week awaiting a replacement Steering Knuckle. Their explanation was that the Fore Link breaking caused damage to the steering knuckle it was attached to. (This story gets more scary as each page turns).

I asked how common these front suspension failures were. He said quite common, but they usually fail at low speeds, like backing out of driveways. He said it was rare they fail at highway speeds. This comment, of course, brought your highway-speed Fore Link failure to mind. It also made me wonder if the ones that fail at highway speeds end up in the salvage yard instead of the service center.

I sure hope your new problem isn't the failure of one of the new "improved design" replacement Fore Links.

BTW - I found that reaching around and taking random flash photos revealed the Fore Link sliding up and down on its ball joint bushing before it broke. That seemed to be what caused the pre-break rattling noise. You may want to try taking some photos before its towed in.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and cwerdna
Well, after a week they couldn't reproduce the sound and commented it could have been a rock in the wheelwell. I guess we'll see. I am kinda nervous driving now. Sad, because I used to feel invincible. The whole reason I went in to see Tesla in the first place was when the Model S "broke" Consumer Reports safety ratings.

• Love
Reactions: croman
Are you talking about the suspension complaints where someone has simply filed reports based upon pics in a junkyard? If so, it's probably the doing of the infamous Keef troll who doesn't even live in the US and is jumping to conclusions w/o any real data or any knowledge of what happened.

That's pretty much what he's doing. However, I will pitch in since I rebuild these cars. Model S has a really high rate of ball joint separating from the control arm compared to any other cars we've ever replaced. Most time the control arm will snap or crack before a ball join will break off...

• Informative
@JenniferQ - Try backing up with your wheels turned fully in either direction. That's when both my Fore Links finally snapped with the broken-off piece falling to the ground. Wheels turned left broke the left Fore Link and wheels turned right broke the right Fore Link. Before they snapped, both intermittently rattled for roughly a week when driving over slight bumps at slow speeds with the rattle getting progressively worse.

@Yaro probably has seen many more of these failures but from my photos, I think I understand the steps that occurred during both my failures:

The ball joint bushing is press-fit into a hole at the rear end of the Fore Link and it appears my initial rattling was caused by this press-fit becoming loose allowing the Fore Link to occasionally slide up and down on the bushing when driving over bumps. Then, the hole in the Fore Link got elongated making the rattle worse until a piece broke off when backing out of my driveway. Scary, but no where near as scary as your failure at highway speed.

I was hoping the new-design replacement Fore Links solved this problem, until your post that one of your new replacement Fore Links may be failing.

@Yaro - Have you seen any difference between the original and new Fore Links? Both Jennifer and I have AWD cars built in 2015. Also, my wife's 2014 P85 has not had a problem, so maybe the problem is only on AWD cars? Or maybe related to a specific bad batch of Fore Links.

• Helpful
  • Informative
@JenniferQ - Try backing up with your wheels turned fully in either direction. That's when both my Fore Links finally snapped with the broken-off piece falling to the ground. Wheels turned left broke the left Fore Link and wheels turned right broke the right Fore Link. Before they snapped, both intermittently rattled for roughly a week when driving over slight bumps at slow speeds with the rattle getting progressively worse.

@Yaro probably has seen many more of these failures but from my photos, I think I understand the steps that occurred during both my failures:

The ball joint bushing is press-fit into a hole at the rear end of the Fore Link and it appears my initial rattling was caused by this press-fit becoming loose allowing the Fore Link to occasionally slide up and down on the bushing when driving over bumps. Then, the hole in the Fore Link got elongated making the rattle worse until a piece broke off when backing out of my driveway. Scary, but no where near as scary as your failure at highway speed.

I was hoping the new-design replacement Fore Links solved this problem, until your post that one of your new replacement Fore Links may be failing.

@Yaro - Have you seen any difference between the original and new Fore Links? Both Jennifer and I have AWD cars built in 2015. Also, my wife's 2014 P85 has not had a problem, so maybe the problem is only on AWD cars? Or maybe related to a specific bad batch of Fore Links.

The design looks the same but the part numbers are different so I'm assuming they've updated something, that however still hasn't stopped them from popping out as in previous models.

• Informative
2016 Model S 90D, 21,800 miles. Same story, same result. Backing out of my inclined driveway after washing/drying my car this morning. While turning wheel right, heard audible crack, followed by right tire rubbing against (and partially removing) wheel well liner. Contacted emergency roadside assistance team (since it's Memorial Day Weekend and vehicle not drive-able), and asked to send pictures for their review. Pictures sent/reviewed, and I was subsequently informed that "after consulting with a team of trouble-shooters," this is likely a road hazard incident, and does not qualify for Tesla towing to service center. Later that afternoon, I found the "smoking gun" - semicircular aluminum piece on my driveway. Re-engaging support to have Tesla towed to for service. Fingers crossed. Seemingly a confirmed "warranty item" at this point. Agreed?

NHTSA report filed.

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpeg
    IMG_9338.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Informative
2016 Model S 90D, 21,800 miles. Same story, same result. Backing out of my inclined driveway after washing/drying my car this morning. While turning wheel right, heard audible crack, followed by right tire rubbing against (and partially removing) wheel well liner. Contacted emergency roadside assistance team (since it's Memorial Day Weekend and vehicle not drive-able), and asked to send pictures for their review. Pictures sent/reviewed, and I was subsequently informed that "after consulting with a team of trouble-shooters," this is likely a road hazard incident, and does not qualify for Tesla towing to service center. Later that afternoon, I found the "smoking gun" - semicircular aluminum piece on my driveway. Re-engaging support to have Tesla towed to for service. Fingers crossed. Seemingly a confirmed "warranty item" at this point. Agreed?
Welcome to TMC and welcome to the Broken Fore Link Club.

Press them hard to replace both.

I believe there was a bad batch of Fore Links around that time. After they replaced my first one, I pressed them to replace the other. They refused, but 7 months later my other Fore Link cracked exactly the same way.