Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crackling sound (due to electrical interference?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately due to the compression from my phone when I emailed the video to myself, and from the compression on the YouTube upload, the crackling is far less obvious than the original, and of course the experience in the car itself.

Please turn the volume up or listen with headphones and let me know if you have any idea what this crackling sound is:

This is not the same "ticking" sound that others have mentioned; this is a constant crackle, seemingly coming (or at least most audible) from the front speakers as the sound bounces off the windshield. It happens very often, and can even be heard with music at medium volume. It's most clear during quiet music, or with no music playing, and it appears to occur when the battery is at a high state of charge and I travel over 15 MPH. It seems to occur even with my foot off the pedal, and seems to stop when traveling below 15 MPH.

To me it sounds like electrical interference from the battery (or electrical systems in general) and the audio system / speakers in the car, but it's hard to tell. In the video it probably sounds like a bit of metal or plastic rattling, but that is definitely not what this is.

The car is a 1-month old P85D with the .139 update.

Any insight or advice is much appreciated, as it is quite annoying and definitely audible to everyone in my car.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: