Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crap on windshield! does it look like glitter or soap scum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe what we see is clear coat overspray during rework. I've heard SC using a razor blade to remove the overspray off glass. I'm tempted to try it and see the outcome.
I tried different solvents (isopropyl alcohol, GooHobe, windshield cleaner) and could not get rid of the glitter. The glitter had a pattern in it as if there something protecting the glass when it happened: a sharp edge.

HERE'S WHAT WORKED: I parked so that sunlight hit the windshield at a right angle. I thoroughly cleaned the glass with glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. I then looked for glitter areas and carefully scraped the DRY glass with a new utility knife (box cutter) blade. I used light pressure. A white plastic-like substance accumulated on the blade. That was the material stuck to the glass as tiny droplets. I wiped the glass clean and no more glitter.
Note: the glitter wasn't removed when I scraped the glass wet from glass cleaner. The blade went right over it.
Use a brand new blade, angle it down to the surface at 45 degrees, and wipe it off. Work in a small (6" sq) area and inspect your result from inside looking out. You might need to go over the same area multiple times.
I hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift and Nubo
I tried different solvents (isopropyl alcohol, GooHobe, windshield cleaner) and could not get rid of the glitter. The glitter had a pattern in it as if there something protecting the glass when it happened: a sharp edge.

HERE'S WHAT WORKED:

HERE'S WHAT WORKED: I parked so that sunlight hit the windshield at a right angle. I thoroughly cleaned the glass with glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. I then looked for glitter areas and carefully scraped the DRY glass with a new utility knife (box cutter) blade. I used light pressure. A white plastic-like substance accumulated on the blade. That was the material stuck to the glass as tiny droplets. I wiped the glass clean and no more glitter.
Note: the glitter wasn't removed when I scraped the glass wet from glass cleaner. The blade went right over it.
Use a brand new blade, angle it down to the surface at 45 degrees, and wipe it off. Work in a small (6" sq) area and inspect your result from inside looking out. You might need to go over the same area multiple times.
I hope this helps.

I parked so that sunlight hit the windshield at a right angle. I thoroughly cleaned the glass with glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. I then looked for glitter areas and carefully scraped the DRY glass with a new utility knife (box cutter) blade. I used light pressure. A white plastic-like substance accumulated on the blade. That was the material stuck to the glass as tiny droplets. I wiped the glass clean and no more glitter.
I hope this helps.
I

Thanks but….

I would be afraid to do this for fear of scratching the glass. It would take hours maybe days to complete as most of my windshield has this on it and it seems to be getting worse. How could it be an overspray if it seems to cover more of the glass every week? It seems to me there is something happening within the glass.

Could you feel anything on the surface? I can’t and neither could Tesla guy who told me to document this, get info for others and come back to Tesla.

Thanks but….

I would be afraid to do this for fear of scratching the glass. It would take hours maybe days to complete as most of my windshield has this on it and it seems to be getting worse. How could it be an overspray if it seems to cover more of the glass every week? It seems to me there is something happening within the glass.

Could you feel anything on the surface? I can’t and neither could Tesla guy who told me to document this, get info for others and come back to Tesla.
I felt a very slight roughness running my fingertips over the glass.
It's getting worse?
Try scraping a 2"x2" area not in your or passenger's line-of-sight when driving. Use light pressure. Angle the blade down at 45 degrees. See if a white material accumulates on the blade.

It took me less than a hour to do the windshield.

Yes. I contacted Zaino and this is the product they recommended. I ordered and will try it on some of the glitter I haven't removed by scraping (see my previous posts). I'll report results in a couple weeks.
I used the Zaino Z-12 and IT WORKED.
Clean the glass thoroughly with Invisible Glass or another cleaner. Rub a small amount of Z-12 onto the glass with a soft cotton dish cloth. Polish with light hand pressure over a 1 sqft area. Only a few passes required. Wipe off with a clean cotton cloth, then clean any residue off with the glass cleaner. Glitter is Gone!

I also saw sharp edges to the pattern of glitter as if there was something masking it. So, I suspect something during assembly.

I hope this helps.

Agree with others, sounds like paint over spray. I just helped my father in law with this exact same issue (not a Tesla but still was a new car). Since i was traveling i didn't have access to my polisher so i tried a clay bar as others mentioned. That helped but still wasn't enough. Since time was limited i ended up using a razor blade and some soapy water in a spray bottle as a lubricant. Got it all off the windows but obviously can't use a blade on the paint.. Hes not a picky person so he might just live with the rest.

If you can, go the polisher with some compound first before you jump to this extreme, but if you do use a razor just make damn sure you keep your working area VERY saturated with the lubricant.
During the process paint correction for DIY ceramic, I found crap tons of overspray on our MYP. My car may have been an extreme candidate as I could feel the rough texture of the overspray and I was holy !@#$! I applied ceramic to the windscreen too but surprisingly it was pretty smooth as is.