Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crashed - Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was driving on the freeway, had my Model S (2018) on Autopilot. It gave me a really hard brake for no reason. I re-engaged the Autopilot...2 minutes later it did the same hard brake for no reason. Not sure exactly what happened next but the car drifted right and I collided into another car.

Main damage is front passenger fender, front bumper, passenger headlight, and scratches to the wheel.

I emailed the Tesla Body Shop in Pomona, CA (near there) and haven't heard back yet.

Some questions:

1) How's everyone's experience with that Body Shop (Pomona?)
2) Is it possible to get a Tesla loaner from them?
3) What are the turn around times now? - I've heard horror stories of months
4) Is the front fenders bolted on or glued/riveted like the rears?
5) Anything else I should think about?

That phantom braking seems more of a problem with the latest release 2019.12.1.1

We had a friend visiting, they like nice and fast cars, Porsche, BMW, GT-R, etc. She’d not ridden in a Tesla before. We got on the Interstate so I attempted to show off the autopilot. Within 1/2 a mile of engaging the autopilot, the car braked hard. There were no shadows, no overpass, no traffic around us, no bridge, no construction, no speed limit change, no road kill, just normal flat lit open road.

I don’t think they’ll be taking another look at a Tesla. It’s a pity.

That phantom braking seems more of a problem with the latest release 2019.12.1.1

We had a friend visiting, they like nice and fast cars, Porsche, BMW, GT-R, etc. She’d not ridden in a Tesla before. We got on the Interstate so I attempted to show off the autopilot. Within 1/2 a mile of engaging the autopilot, the car braked hard. There were no shadows, no overpass, no traffic around us, no bridge, no construction, no speed limit change, no road kill, just normal flat lit open road.

I don’t think they’ll be taking another look at a Tesla. It’s a pity.
Why not?
Tesla is more than just autopilot

Reactions: PhilDavid and SO16
Certainly, autopilot is not perfect at this point. But it is improving. I am on 2019. 12.1. 2.

On a recent trip from Syracuse to Southeast Chester County PA on Interstate 476 southbound in a driving rainstorm, I was surprised that autopilot kept working. Yes, I became a little nervous, but after a while it seemed to be good to have the computer assisting looking through the heavy rain. Navigate on autopilot would not function due to the heavy rain, but when the rain subsided, navigate on autopilot would automatically return.

I have not experienced the significant heartbreaking as reported above thank goodness. But I have experience minor hesitation/breaking which I have attributed to shadows on the road.

So I was driving on the freeway, had my Model S (2018) on Autopilot. It gave me a really hard brake for no reason. I re-engaged the Autopilot...2 minutes later it did the same hard brake for no reason. Not sure exactly what happened next but the car drifted right and I collided into another car.

Main damage is front passenger fender, front bumper, passenger headlight, and scratches to the wheel.

I emailed the Tesla Body Shop in Pomona, CA (near there) and haven't heard back yet.

Some questions:

1) How's everyone's experience with that Body Shop (Pomona?)
2) Is it possible to get a Tesla loaner from them?
3) What are the turn around times now? - I've heard horror stories of months
4) Is the front fenders bolted on or glued/riveted like the rears?
5) Anything else I should think about?

Before you commit to a body shop, I would recommend learning more about their backlog and history in getting parts. Is your car still driveable? The damage you describe sounds more cosmetic that affects the front quarter-panel and fender. While it would seem "obvious" that a Tesla owned shop would be better, that also means potentially putting up with their poor communications. You might get better results from another high-end shop, but only if they have access to parts depending on your specific damage. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Why not?
Tesla is more than just autopilot

The point was that a quarter mile into a 5 mile trip while showing off the car with autopilot to someone who hadn’t ridden in a Tesla was an inopportune time for an inappropriate braking event. It just made a poor impression, that’s all.

The point was that a quarter mile into a 5 mile trip while showing off the car with autopilot to someone who hadn’t ridden in a Tesla was an inopportune time for an inappropriate braking event. It just made a poor impression, that’s all.
Yes but is autopilot the only thing they were interested in? Theres so much more to Tesla than just AP. Should have let them drive it themselves so they can see what its actually all about.

You’re missing the point. It already happened. The first thing thing they did was autopilot and unfortunately it didn’t work and that’s her first impression. Obviously hindsight is 20/20.
I'm not missing anything. The first impression should have been formed when they first saw the car, got in it and looked at the interior then got to experience how an ev feels when accelerating. By the time they got to autopilot they should have already formed an opinion and got there first impression. The ap was not the first thing they experienced, maybe 3rd or 4th.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sharps97
I'm not missing anything. The first impression should have been formed when they first saw the car, got in it and looked at the interior then got to experience how an ev feels when accelerating. By the time they got to autopilot they should have already formed an opinion and got there first impression. The ap was not the first thing they experienced, maybe 3rd or 4th.
Maybe you two should get a thread ;)

Details unclear. It veered into another lane and crashed while on Autopilot, or you took control and crashed while trying to address the hard braking situation? The former would be pretty serious and news worthy.