Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy process of getting quotes for NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety first imho, If I was going to buy a new seatbelt I wouldn't buy the cheapest one, same with tires.

Where safety is concerned I am usually pretty conservative. Otherwise I'd be waking up at night at feeling my outlet for heat lol.

But the seatbelt that came with your car (OK, maybe not your Tesla but your other/previous car) was probably the cheapest one that met the car manufacturer's specs.

For the Model 3, the wall connector with a 60A breaker will provide 44 RPH (miles of range per hour). The charger that comes with the vehicle on a 50A breaker (using a NEMA 14-50) will provide 30 RPH. For my daily needs the wall connector was overkill. The electrical quotes were all considerably more for the wall connector. One wanted $250 to turn the screw inside the wall connector to select the operating current.

Just got a Tesla quote of $1530 for installation with the Tesla wall connector ($500) . Is there a significant difference between the wall connector and just the 14-15 outlet?
If you're talking about the install cost, then it depends. If you're using the same amperage circuit, then the difference is pretty minimal, just the work of having to actually mount the wall connector on the wall. The wall connector can even be cheaper to install since it only needs three wires where a 14-50 needs four. If the wall connector is installed with a bigger circuit, then you've got more expensive wire (how much more depends on distance and how big a circuit) and in extreme cases, panel upgrades and the like. If you have questions about a quote, always get them to itemize.

Now, the common wisdom here about Tesla installs is that they work off a quote sheet that lumps installs into categories like 0-25ft, 25-50ft, etc... Some folks who have difficult installs and/or are near the upper range of a category have reported that the Tesla quote was very competitive. People who had easier installs found them expensive in comparison. People also seem very happy with the quality of the Tesla installs.

Very helpful responses. Appreciate it. I have a difficult install with circuit box in basement and other side of the house from the garage. Fortunately don’t need any panel upgrades. My inclination is to bite the bullet and get it done right with the wall connector even though I really don’t need the extra power.

I
So if you’re going to move soon... that 110v plug will get you about 30-50 miles overnight depending on how long it’s sitting. If that can meet your needs, even if you need a supercharger to carry a little gap; do that and get a proper setup once you move.

I just bought my house a year ago so for me, I am not planning any moves any time soon.

Oh and yeah... all the quotes above 800 that I got include a permit that was from 500-800... now sure how a permit could have anything but one price, but that doea explain why they were so high. Also makes me wonder how the $500 quote was as low as it was (it had no breakdown).

I think I will try my luck on yelp. I went with the Tesla page hoping it would mean things like proper panel and grounding setup.

But yeah... I’m not rich, I am here because I won the car return lottery. VW is paying me half the price of a tesla for my 8 year old diesel because their German engineers lied to the German government...
If you can’t afford a correct charging setup I’d really think about whether this is a good time to get an EV. This is a pretty critical part of ownership. I’d avoid permanent setups that are tripping hazards, rely on extension cords, or use incorrectly sized wires, breakers, etc.

T
If you're talking about the install cost, then it depends. If you're using the same amperage circuit, then the difference is pretty minimal, just the work of having to actually mount the wall connector on the wall. The wall connector can even be cheaper to install since it only needs three wires where a 14-50 needs four. If the wall connector is installed with a bigger circuit, then you've got more expensive wire (how much more depends on distance and how big a circuit) and in extreme cases, panel upgrades and the like. If you have questions about a quote, always get them to itemize.

Now, the common wisdom here about Tesla installs is that they work off a quote sheet that lumps installs into categories like 0-25ft, 25-50ft, etc... Some folks who have difficult installs and/or are near the upper range of a category have reported that the Tesla quote was very competitive. People who had easier installs found them expensive in comparison. People also seem very happy with the quality of the Tesla installs.
Tesla did mine...no pointing fingers if something goes wrong, lol, and it’s a brilliant job. They dealt with permit, new breaker, ran 50+ conduit, painted conduit outside and inside the garage. No other contractor needed, perfect setup. HPWC. I love the charging speed.