Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy rattling torture in my left ear!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
Have any of you experienced something like this? Has anyone found a solution? I love my Tesla, but hate-hate-hate this drip-drip-drip water torture noise.

This is my second MS 100D. It has had this annoying noise that started not long after I took delivery of the car in January 2018. The noise is similar to the sound of a deck of cards being shuffled. The car has 7,000 miles on it. The noise occurs where the headliner meets the driver-side door gasket and window near the b-pillar. This places it “conveniently” directly in my left ear. Ouch! I have experienced a lesser version of this noise problem in about half of the dozen or so other newer Teslas I have driven. A lesser version of this problem was also present in my prior 2017 MS 100D. It is disappointing to pay a gazillion dollars for a car and experience the kind of rattling you would not get in a far cheaper Japanese car. I’m sure part of the problem is the infinitely quieter cabin in a Tesla. I'm sure part of the problem is I just need new ears.

Tesla techs have looked at the problem twice but were unable to replicate the noise on the roads around the service center. Sadly, I have no problem replicating the noise on the streets surrounding my home (and elsewhere too). Why is this always the case with stuff like this? Is there some universal smart aleck politest at work?

This noise can be continuous when driving on certain road surfaces, speeds, and temperature combinations. The noise is far worse when making lefthand turns. You cannot hear the noise if the stereo is playing. The passenger cannot hear the noise. The noise is focused into the left ear of the driver making it a personal kind of sonic hell ;-)

I have recorded the noise. On the recording, it sounds like a large insect flapping its wings. I guess my car has a bug in it :)) In real life the sound is deeper and much louder than the recording and more like a deck of cards being shuffled. To hear the sound on the recording you need to turn the volume all the way up. It starts at 4 seconds into the recording, fades at 7 seconds, then comes back at 9 seconds.

Dropbox - gasket vibration3T.mp3

The noise had grown worse over the months since taking delivery. Since the service center repeatedly failed to replicate the noise, I decided to try to Sherlock Holmes the problem myself. Here is what I found:

1. If I insert rubber shims into the edges of the headliner near the b-pillar, I can reduce the occurrence of the noise by about half.

2. If I pull down on the rubber door gasket near the b-pillar, I can 100% eliminate the noise (as shown in this photo Dropbox - StopNoiseWithFInger.jpg). If I could just drive around like this my problem would be solved.

3. If I roll down the window 1/8 inch, the noise stops.

4. Pushing up on the headliner near the source of the noise used to stop it but now just lessens it.

5. Rolling up the window and then hitting the button a second time to reseat / re-tension the window, sometimes lessens the noise.

I would pay almost anything, trade in my life, my liberty, my overdue Model 3 reservation, if I could just get a Tesla expert that could come out to my personal test track (i.e. my neighborhood roads) and work with me to stamp out this noise. For months I have been trying to get Tesla to send out a ranger, but they keep asking me to bring the car to them—which is the very definition of insanity—doing the same thing a third time and expecting different results. I’m only 25 miles from the service center so sending a ranger should not be a big deal. They sent rangers to my house in early 2018 for other issues. I think the service center is now too busy with Model 3 deliveries and problems to take as good a care of their existing customers as they used to do.

I have a similar ticking noise somewhere in the same area. Mine came on with the onset of cold weather (not your issue in Florida). Have you tried wiping the gaskets with something like ArmorAll to make the surface slicker?

I have isolated the noise from my 2017 S to the speaker grill on the driver A pillar. It happens less often now, but I can pres on the grill to stop the noise and it usually went away for a while. I thought of pulling the panel out far enough to put some dampening material like dynomat or something where the grill meets the panel. That may work in other areas too.

I have a similar ticking noise somewhere in the same area. Mine came on with the onset of cold weather (not your issue in Florida). Have you tried wiping the gaskets with something like ArmorAll to make the surface slicker?

I tried applying “Gummy Pflege Stiff” — It’s this super high quality German window gasket dressing but no joy… The water torture continues.

I did notice the front driver side window does not sit as deeply into the gasket as the rear driver side window. The rear window seats into the gasket with about 1/10 of an inch of glass-edge visible. The driver’s door has over 1/5 of an inch of glass-edge that is visible. So the door is not closing as tightly as the rear door.

I am not a big fan of these frameless windows. I think it was a big mistake for Tesla to use them in a car this quiet. In addition to the rattle, at 80mph I get a whistle from the passenger window. They just don’t seem to seal that reliably.

P.S. In Florida 80 mph is the slowest you can go on the Turnpike w/o being assaulted and tailgated by the Florida mad max wannabes doing closer to 100 mph :))

• Funny
Reactions: quickstrike12
I have isolated the noise from my 2017 S to the speaker grill on the driver A pillar. It happens less often now, but I can pres on the grill to stop the noise and it usually went away for a while. I thought of pulling the panel out far enough to put some dampening material like dynomat or something where the grill meets the panel. That may work in other areas too.

I don't have enough guts to pull down the headliner and fill it with damping material myself. Hope to get a ranger to do that ;-)

I don't have enough guts to pull down the headliner and fill it with damping material myself. Hope to get a ranger to do that ;-)
I’ve read a couple of others have posted about some loose wire bundles in the headliner and managed to get it down far enough to stop the noises.
Im like you tho. I would be scared to try myself for fear of not getting it back to original.

keep making a stink and insist on making an appointment with mobile service. the mobile service crew is totally different from the regular service center dept. they have an advisor specially for the mobile rangers that sets up the appointments.

i had a very loud rattle on the X that was prominent and happened 100% of the time around my neighborhood and local streets where i do most of my driving at low speeds shuttling kids around. i had two failed SC visits to address it and finally asked for a mobile person to come and fix in my garage and keep taking it for a drive 100 yards up and down my street until it was gone. got an appointment and the guy did exactly that, and guess what, no more noise. pretty simple when they can hear it right away and eliminate the noise on the spot and test it on the spot! none of this lost in translation stuff where an advisor checks you in, and a diff person has to read some notes and does the actual work.