Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise from suspension - resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so my first squeaking control arm issue was just outside of warranty. Before the local service center opened, Tesla was going to repair this via Goodwill, since there was a known issue, and I was so close to the warranty period. Couldn't spend a whole day going donw there, and the local one was opening soon. Well, they would not honor the goodwill. The fix was supposedly done for the -J suffix control arm. Local sercive place only had one side -J control arms. Bought it. Couldn't find the other side, so I went third party, I think on ebay, and bought an earlier, maybe -H? control arm. This was abotu 65,000 miles.

112,000 miles, squeak is back. Only one side, the one where I had the -H control arm. Find a -J on ebay, buy it. Less than a week later, it is squeaking like mad. It seems to be the control arm, but maybe it isn't? Going to try the syringe grease trick (BTW.....tried a large volume manual syringe, I can't get grease through it) with the grease pump, and see how that does. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'll disconnect the tie rod and see if it squeaks when I compress that corner with tthat disconnected (I can make it squeak just by putting weight on the corner).

Okay, so my first squeaking control arm issue was just outside of warranty. Before the local service center opened, Tesla was going to repair this via Goodwill, since there was a known issue, and I was so close to the warranty period. Couldn't spend a whole day going donw there, and the local one was opening soon. Well, they would not honor the goodwill. The fix was supposedly done for the -J suffix control arm. Local sercive place only had one side -J control arms. Bought it. Couldn't find the other side, so I went third party, I think on ebay, and bought an earlier, maybe -H? control arm. This was abotu 65,000 miles.

112,000 miles, squeak is back. Only one side, the one where I had the -H control arm. Find a -J on ebay, buy it. Less than a week later, it is squeaking like mad. It seems to be the control arm, but maybe it isn't? Going to try the syringe grease trick (BTW.....tried a large volume manual syringe, I can't get grease through it) with the grease pump, and see how that does. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'll disconnect the tie rod and see if it squeaks when I compress that corner with tthat disconnected (I can make it squeak just by putting weight on the corner).
Why not just go with mountain pass performance FUCAs?

Anyone turned down/ denied the replacement of control arms assembly in warranty period due to aftermarket wheels being used?
I can't imagine as how could they prove that wheels had any bearing on the control arm failing.
Tesla-Model-3-1024x576.jpg

I had a control arm replaced after it was apparently botched by a tire change operation in 2021. My driveway is on an incline, so when I get to the bottom and begin to turn into the street, I notice a small amount of creaking from that same area. I don't notice it any other time so I'm going to just keep an ear on it. I don't know if the grease trick would be of any use, but may be worth trying if it gets worse since I'm out of warranty (I have an extended warranty but I don't know if that's even covered sadly).