Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit Card Processing: A Model X Reservation Issue ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're in Florida, Nigel, and you're describing how the process works in the USA. The original poster who's having the problem is in Canada and the bank settlement procedures are undoubtedly different there.

This seems like yet another example of Tesla not bothering to check out the quirks of local laws and practices.
If tesla is at fault, how were other folks in Canada able to order the car?

Sorry, IMO you're getting BS from your bank. Merchants don't have to go ask for settlement, it happens automatically; that's why you don't see your problem happening all over the place.
Very well, say you're right. I now know all about how the process of credit card transactions works. How does this help me with my problem, though? Of course it's supposed to be automatic. Of course it doesn't happen all the time. Now that it has, though, what can I do about it?

You don't have another card? Don't want to do the direct draft? I highly doubt that Tesla is not taking money. My guess is it isn't actually getting to them. I got a confirmation in less than 60 seconds in my email inbox.

I used an AmEx.
I realize Tesla didn't actually refuse to take my money. I was being a smart-ass.
Yes, I do have other cards. I just wanted the points from this particular one and I was expecting the experience to be quick and painless (like yours was), so why wouldn't I use it? After all, 5000 bucks nets you a lot of points! However, if I can't resolve this in another week or so, I'll probably just do a direct payment of some kind.

Very well, say you're right. I now know all about how the process of credit card transactions works. How does this help me with my problem, though? Of course it's supposed to be automatic. Of course it doesn't happen all the time. Now that it has, though, what can I do about it?

Sounds like you now know more than your bank manager does. Best suggestion I can make is to consider a different card or pay direct; the initial failed attempts obviously tripped a fuse somewhere that hasn't been reset.

When I did my S reservation, the Tesla system and Paypal system both choked on the same card (a Mastercard). Next I immediately registered an Amex on paypal and used paypal to pay it. It gone through without any issues. My hunch is if Paypal somehow denied a card in the past, that card will no longer be available for either Tesla or PP. Just my 2 cents.

Sadly no. I seem to have gotten as far as I can with Scotiabank (as far as they're concerned, Tesla is at fault) and I have not heard back from Tesla themselves yet. I'm giving it this week, then I will try a different method on Monday (credit card #2 and/or direct payment). If none of those work, I am seriously considering scrapping the whole thing. I don't even know if Tesla is planning to do any Model X promotion (like an Amped! Tour) this year, or if it will be next year due to the production delay.

I know I said I was going to wait until Monday, but I woke up this morning thinking "What the hell for?". Anyway, so I tried the reservation again with my other card and BOOM! it went through, no problem. I am now Canadian Model X Reservation #135! Now THAT's how I was expecting it to work in the first place!

So, in the end I didn't get the points rewards I was hoping for, but they were only worth about $75 in value so it wasn't that big a deal in the big picture. And I did get some rewards using the card that I did. They just have less immediate value.

Still, I'm curious as to what the actual issue was with my original card, since both the bank and Tesla seemed to think it should have worked. I'll probably never know.

Is there a specific thread I should go to and add myself to the reservation roster?

Our prices are around 4.00, there were times last year that it hit 5.00 for a brief period of time.
The way I look at it is the highest price you saw during the year will soon become the standard price.
A few years ago everyone was shocked when prices reached 4.00, now it's the norm. Everyone was shocked when it reached 5.00 dollars per gallon, in a few years or so that'll be the new norm

Gasoline prices are not going down, never will. Reason being that once the easily recoverable oil runs dry and more money will need to be spent getting "dirtier" oil out, that cost will be passed on to the consumer + more profits for the oil companies.
If I remember correctly tar sand oil didn't make financial sense a few years ago... Now it does, and the price for it is paid by the consumer

Im just glad that we now have a choice, a real choice at an alternative powered vehicle, personally my family will drive nothing but electric cars. I've been hard at work convincing my parents and they're on board for a gen3, by that time my sister will have her license and a leaf will fit her needs perfectly.
My other family members are much harder to convince to go electric... But I'm trying

I don't make enough to be "ahead of the curve" in this regard - Tesla is unlikely to get any of my money until the Gen III comes out. But that's a direct response to high gas prices. If the local utility jacks the rates, I'll go solar as soon as I can afford it.