Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i read in another post to turn Sentry Mode off and let the car "sleep" for a bit because the computer gets too hot from Sentry Mode running all the time. I tried it and AP was back when I went to lunch. Until they fix the issue, I am turning Sentry Mode to automatically be "OFF" and i'll just turn it on using my phone like how it was before 16.2 software. this will give the computer a bit of a rest.

Reactions: dogldogl
Cruise control failed Sunday afternoon as I was leaving my neighborhood. I could see no default speed signs or default speed numbers, So I did two-knob reset of the display controller and cruise control returned. I didn't even stop the car. The speed numbers returned without a problem.

Off hand, it sounds like there is a random core-smasher in the display software.

Bob Wilson

i read in another post to turn Sentry Mode off and let the car "sleep" for a bit because the computer gets too hot from Sentry Mode running all the time. I tried it and AP was back when I went to lunch. Until they fix the issue, I am turning Sentry Mode to automatically be "OFF" and i'll just turn it on using my phone like how it was before 16.2 software. this will give the computer a bit of a rest.

This worked! My car was parked at work for a few hours and tuned sentry mode off from app. When I got off from work and got in the car my AP was back. I’ve been without AP for over a week now.

Model 3 with 2019.16.2 with USB and Sentry Mode

This morning Cruise and AP were unavailable and no lane lines are showing. I spoke with Tesla and they tried soft and hard reboots and this didn't resolve the issue while parked on the side of 101 because I couldn't stand driving in traffic. They have asked me to unmount my USB drive and allow an overnight cycle to resolve the issue. I also noticed on a friends Model 3 that after 16.2 their USB drive got corrupted. Going to try this tonight and hopefully will have AP for commute tomorrow.

So the saga continues. Auto-pilot went out again, after being fixed at the Service center by the technician with his laptop. So I went back and read this forum about TeslaFi webApp and also iPhone App Stats. So in the morning deleted all the Tesla iPhone apps on my iPhone except the Tesla App, and changed my Tesla account password, and then cleared my token on TeslaFi and changed the polling value, and then relogged into TeslaFi. I then got in my car to drive home from work around 7PM, Auto-pilot was still off, and then on the drive home it came on and everything worked again! I really think now the problem is related to TeslaFi and polling too frequently. I don't think it's related to the iPhone App Stats, I do iPhone development for a living, and the App would have to employ a background network task to keep itself alive to poll the Tesla Network. Plus if you force close the Stats App the back ground task would be killed, so I doubt Stats is doing anything to cause this problem. TeslaFi however is gathering tons of data and polling frequently, and if it were to set some JSON value wrong during a request it could cause problems, that's not to say Tesla's API doesn't have issues too which it probably does. Anyway, someone should tell Tesla about this. The data on TeslaFi is starting to add up now.

So I've been running fine now with my Tesla Model 3 for 2 weeks with autopilot now working. It has turned off for 30 seconds on occasion, but turns right back on thereafter. Only change was setting TeslaFi Sleep Modes : Time To Try Sleeping : 15, Idle Time Before Trying to Sleep : 30, Reset Idle Timer when Offline : Checked. Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode : Checked. Deep Sleep Mode : Enabled, Start Sleeping At : 12AM, End Sleeping At : 7AM, Polling Time While Idle : 5. I also deleted all the other Tesla iPhone apps, but like I said earlier I don't think they were a problem. I'm purely guessing the problem has something to do with Tesla's Servers getting too much poll information via TeslaFi, and this causes the Server to determine the AutoPilot Sensor's have an issue so it turns off AutoPilot on the car. Also changed my Tesla Account Password too, which reset all the Tokens.

So the saga continues. Auto-pilot went out again, after being fixed at the Service center by the technician with his laptop. So I went back and read this forum about TeslaFi webApp and also iPhone App Stats. So in the morning deleted all the Tesla iPhone apps on my iPhone except the Tesla App, and changed my Tesla account password, and then cleared my token on TeslaFi and changed the polling value, and then relogged into TeslaFi. I then got in my car to drive home from work around 7PM, Auto-pilot was still off, and then on the drive home it came on and everything worked again! I really think now the problem is related to TeslaFi and polling too frequently. I don't think it's related to the iPhone App Stats, I do iPhone development for a living, and the App would have to employ a background network task to keep itself alive to poll the Tesla Network. Plus if you force close the Stats App the back ground task would be killed, so I doubt Stats is doing anything to cause this problem. TeslaFi however is gathering tons of data and polling frequently, and if it were to set some JSON value wrong during a request it could cause problems, that's not to say Tesla's API doesn't have issues too which it probably does. Anyway, someone should tell Tesla about this. The data on TeslaFi is starting to add up now.

Thank you to Pmurphjam and the rest of the members of this forum for helping me identify and repair this issue. First step was to remove the thumb drive which was indeed corrupted. Next, rather than change my Tesla password, was to log into TeslaFi and tell the car to sleep. After a night plugged in and an email confirming that the car had indeed slept, the autopilot, cruise control, and speed limit indicators all had returned! I will update if anything changes.

This just happened to me today. I only have the DashCam, no TeslaFi.

Going to see if it works itself out after falling asleep tonight being parked. Kinda scary that this thing can just go out without explanation and reboots won’t fix it.

This happened to me a week ago. I submitted a ticket to tesla and they replied fast with the fix. (I love being able to submit tickets to my car. I hate traditional auto dealers) Hope this helps others. This fixed it for me

Please restore your autopilot features by following the steps below.
  1. Set Sentry Mode to OFF from Controls > Safety & Security menu
  2. Remove USB Drive (if inserted)
  3. Allow vehicle to sleep
  4. Autopilot features should return after the sleep cycle
In order to prevent the issue from repeating, for now please set your Sentry Mode settings to exclude Home (Controls > Safety & Security > check the Exclude Home checkbox)

Note: You will need to have you Home address saved in Navigation for this exclusion to apply.

• Informative
Reactions: KennyBry and Thp3
This happened to me a week ago. I submitted a ticket to tesla and they replied fast with the fix. (I love being able to submit tickets to my car. I hate traditional auto dealers) Hope this helps others. This fixed it for me

Please restore your autopilot features by following the steps below.
In order to prevent the issue from repeating, for now please set your Sentry Mode settings to exclude Home (Controls > Safety & Security > check the Exclude Home checkbox)

Note: You will need to have you Home address saved in Navigation for this exclusion to apply.

Twyi06, this seems to have worked for me in my Model X 100D, thanks. But excuse my abject ignorance, how do you submit a ticket? I had just used the app to do a service request. A ticket seems so much more appropriate.

All,

I had this issue and got a solution directly from Tesla. Tried it and all is back to normal.

Simple way to get back Cruise/AP/NAP:

Thank you for reaching back out with your response and confirming the answers to my questions. We have received reports from customers that Autopilot and other drivers assistance features are unavailable after updating to Firmware 2019.16. This will be able to help restore your Autopilot configuration as intended.

Please restore your autopilot features by following the steps below:

Note: You will need to have your Home address saved in Navigation for this exclusion to apply.

Please reply back to this email if you're still encountering an issue after following those steps.

Best Regards,

William L | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
I used the Autopilot nicely while going to work in the morning. When I was coming back from work, I could not use the cruise control or the autopilot. I was getting the error message that cruise control not available. I tried the chat support in Tesla customer support but they could not help, at least at the level 1. they referred my case to next level. I was told that my Tesla Model 3 that was delivered to me on March 15 had 2019.4 software version. Did any one have this issue on Model 3 recently?

Hey. After trying the reboot without success several times, I booked service with a detailed note. They called with a work-around that solved instantly. her it is:
The work around is to :

1. Turn off Sentry mode

2. Remove USB

3. Allow vehicle to sleep(1-2Hrs)

4. AP features will return after a sleep cycle.

Recommend customer set Sentry settings to exclude home (Controls > Safety & Security > exclude home checkbox).

Note: Home must be stored in Nav for this exclusion to work.

Just updating a post I put out earlier on this issue: long story short, the problem went away while it slept overnight.

Also...I know its a bit off topic, but the same solution (letting it sleep overnight) fixed a problem I had when I overloaded the 12v cigarette lighter...it stopped outputting power until the next day when I woke up, it was working again.

I have had the same issue twice so far. My M3 SR+ Was delivered a little over 2 weeks ago. I brought the issue up with a Tesla Mobile Techincian today while he was out for an unrelated issue. After he pulled the logs he said that it was an issue with one of the forward dash cameras but it wasn’t an “active alert.” He hard reset the car. I haven’t driven it since but it will be interesting to see what happens.

This just happened to us this morning. 2018 Model X 100D 2019.16.2. A few days since last update. No simple cruise control or auto-steer. Auto headlights not auto.

Tried two-button reboot. No change. Ejected flash drive properly, two-button reboot, no improvement. Did discover all files in the RecentClips folder all dated today, all 595 bytes.

Did complete power-down sitting in car, waited more than 5 minutes, re-power with brake pedal. Freaked out a little when it didn’t seem like it had actually powered up, but the screens did wake when I open the door. Still no improvement. I have an appointment for June 6.

I experienced identical symptoms / outcome on 2017 X 100D running 2019.20.4.2. 4 times, this has occurred after the car was parked in the sun with internal cabin temp ~140F

The sentry / heat combo correlates with some early instances of this. My failure instances all occurred after parking the vehicle in the sun for an extended period while cabin overheat protection disabled (COP not currently compatible with the Model X & S enhanced anti theft sensor, unfortunately. With enough motivation Tesla will hopefully re-enable cabin overheat protection with enhanced anti theft installed).