Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Slows Down on Curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any event, a speed around a corner which seems dangerous to some will seem slow to others.

George Carlin Driving.jpg

Have you had phantom braking happen to you on the freeway? And if so, how severe?
Yes, I have had it happen, though it is always quickly corrected (by me) as I drive knowing that AP is a driver assist (not a chauffeur) and that I am responsible for actions of the vehicle. But even when it does happen and it is severe, it is never bad enough that a normal driver couldn't easily avoid any collision as long as they are not tailgating. At worst, it might piss someone off, but in normal driving conditions, it does not pose any danger.

Reactions: ra88it
I always laugh at these "someone can rear-end you" comments. It's as if people never brake and Teslas are causing some new phenomenon of excessive rear-end collisions.

It's already been said a couple of times, but you can also just push on the accelerator to momentarily over-ride the slow down. Yeah, I wish I wouldn't have to do it, but I would rather my car err on the side of caution. Remember that AP is not a chauffeur, it is a driver assist.

What kind of gas do you use in your electric car? ;)
We all use "quantum gas." We fill 'er up with electrons.

Yes, I have had it happen, though it is always quickly corrected (by me) as I drive knowing that AP is a driver assist (not a chauffeur) and that I am responsible for actions of the vehicle. But even when it does happen and it is severe, it is never bad enough that a normal driver couldn't easily avoid any collision as long as they are not tailgating. At worst, it might piss someone off, but in normal driving conditions, it does not pose any danger.

Unexpected braking on the freeway is dangerous under any driving condition and more so if it's wet. We are enthusiasts and know what to expect and how to deal with it. To expect other unsuspecting drivers to react the same in the same situation is unrealistic. And not everyone behind the wheel is a 'normal' driver. Every manufacturer that has this issue should strive to totally mitigate it, not make excuses, or pretend it doesn't exist. I'm not saying Tesla is doing either, however, it needs to get the attention it deserves before someone gets hurt or worse.

We are enthusiasts and know what to expect and how to deal with it. To expect other unsuspecting drivers to react the same in the same situation is unrealistic.
I think that expecting someone behind me to slow when I slow to be a reasonable expectation in driving. It does not matter if the reason for the slowdown is because of faulty software or because of something unseen to the person behind: it's a pretty basic concept.

I am not saying that there isn't a problem with the SW (cuz there is IMO): I am simply responding to the repetitive "someone can rear-end you" comments. It rates right up there with "won't someone think of the children."

I found it better to assume that every driver around me is an idiot who doesn't know how to drive and to plan accordingly.

I think that expecting someone behind me to slow when I slow to be a reasonable expectation in driving. It does not matter if the reason for the slowdown is because of faulty software or because of something unseen to the person behind: it's a pretty basic concept.

I am not saying that there isn't a problem with the SW (cuz there is IMO): I am simply responding to the repetitive "someone can rear-end you" comments. It rates right up there with "won't someone think of the children."

I found it better to assume that every driver around me is an idiot who doesn't know how to drive and to plan accordingly.

There is a difference between slowing down and sudden unexpected braking. Even the best drivers can be caught off guard if the car in front of them brakes suddenly for no obvious reason. And being rear-ended is just one of many possible outcomes which can range from nothing to a pile-up.

NHTSA uses 1.3 seconds as reaction time. At 70MPH, that is 130 feet, which is SEVERAL car lengths. It doesn't have to be the car behind you, it could be a few cars back as those 1.3 second reaction times add up. Rear end collisions are the most common type of accident, as well.

Reactions: john5520
NHTSA uses 1.3 seconds as reaction time. At 70MPH, that is 130 feet, which is SEVERAL car lengths.
And anyone who uses car lengths as the determiner for safe following distance is a fool. When I was taught to drive many moons ago, the following length was 2 seconds (which has served me well) and the NHTSA recommends 3-4 seconds.

Further,
when one suddenly slows down, it is just that: a slow down. Not a sudden stop. That means if the deceleration starts at a fixed point X, when the following driver reacts 1.3 seconds later, the leading car is further down the road, not at point X.

Rear end collisions are the most common type of accident, as well.
And pretty much all of them are the responsibility of the following driver; usually from driving too close and/or not paying attention. If there was a problem with Tesla's getting rear-ended because of sudden and unjust deceleration, you would be seeing a spate of lawsuits because A) it is the American Way to litigate, and B) Tesla in general has a huge target on it - people love to hate them and would be chomping at an opportunity to bring them down.

I am NOT saying that there isn't a problem (it has been really frustrating me lately): I am just saying that "rear-end collision" is a logical fallacy that panders to one's emotions without any real basis in facts.