Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FALCON WING DOORS ARE AMAZING AND AWESOME FOR SOCCER MOMS OR SOCCER DADS!

Look, I just turn 30 years of age 2 month ago and my new born just arrived 1 month ago. I love the X but by no mean i consider myself soccer mom/dad. It's kinda negative to label myself soccer mom/dad because it represents old, boring, non-exciting and represents an age where you are done with your craziness of your high school moments IMHO! That is exactly the reason why i name myself "ModelXBoy". Please don't generalize the population who purchase the X are older people please. There are people around my age who purchase a fully loaded P90DL that loved their X but not even parents yet.

Look, I just turn 30 years of age 2 month ago and my new born just arrived 1 month ago. I love the X but by no mean i consider myself soccer mom/dad. It's kinda negative to label myself soccer mom/dad because it represents old, boring, non-exciting and represents an age where you are done with your craziness of your high school moments IMHO! That is exactly the reason why i name myself "ModelXBoy". Please don't generalize the population who purchase the X are older people please. There are people around my age who purchase a fully loaded P90DL that loved their X but not even parents yet.

Ok, I edited my post to add this line to make you happy:
FWDs CAN ALSO BE AWESOME FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT SOCCER MOMS/DADS

In this particular case, and in the other case in this thread, I think it would have avoided the issue. I've told my wife to use it whenever she's somewhere with a low ceiling. You have the option to open the doors from the touchscreen when you put the car in park, and there is an umbrella and a full open icon. So in those cases, the driver can control what the passengers do by beating them to the door controls.

Is it possible to stop the FWD while opening the door using the key fob?

When are you getting your X back?

Delayed until Monday. The SC also started the exchange process. I think someone from upper management will call me Monday as well. The SC is concerning even the car is back to me Monday, that leaves me only 4 days before hitting the "Lemon Law" for the remaining 1 year and 4 month. The "lemon Law" states:

In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):
  • The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
The 30 days is accumulative so there is a possibility my car still become "lemon" later on, so it's best interest for them to just exchange it rather than going through "lemon" process.

On my end, i just want to have a problem-free Model X. I will do whatever Tesla wants to do to give me 1 brand new Model X without problems in reasonable amount of time. I will be happy.

Again just be nice, courteous, professional and Tesla will treat you well.

ModelXBoy

Delayed until Monday. The SC also started the exchange process. I think someone from upper management will call me Monday as well. The SC is concerning even the car is back to me Monday, that leaves me only 4 days before hitting the "Lemon Law" for the remaining 1 year and 4 month. The "lemon Law" states:

In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):
  • The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
The 30 days is accumulative so there is a possibility my car still become "lemon" later on, so it's best interest for them to just exchange it rather than going through "lemon" process.

On my end, i just want to a problem-free Model X. I will do whatever Tesla wants to do to give me 1 brand new Model X without problems in reasonable amount of time. I will be happy.

Again just be nice, courteous, professional and Tesla will treat you well.

ModelXBoy
Good advice, keep us updated.

Good advice, keep us updated.

Yup, I have been doing that all the time. I am just one unlucky customer who receive a car that has one of the worst conditions. The door really caused huge problems, it damaged the body of the car. Therefore body shop is involved. Not a simple latch replacement anymore.

I saw you have the identical configuration as mine except I have the Sub-Zero package and the Turbine wheel. My option for the X is the most expensive version you can buy and I still end up to be one of the unlucky one : (. But really nothing i can do at this time, just wait for Tesla to sort all the mess up.

Maybe an audible sound similar to parking sensors would be helpful when the door is opening. As the door approaches an object it detects it begins beeping just like parking sensor. The lack of beeping would alert the operator that the door is not sensing the obsticle and would allow time to stop the door from opening to far. Right now you really don't know if the door is working as intended until it is to late.

Maybe an audible sound similar to parking sensors would be helpful when the door is opening. As the door approaches an object it detects it begins beeping just like parking sensor. The lack of beeping would alert the operator that the door is not sensing the obsticle and would allow time to stop the door from opening to far. Right now you really don't know if the door is working as intended until it is to late.

I think the best way to fix it and agreed by the SC manager is to include additional sensors on the joint of the door, sensor has to face up. So this way when FWD goes up, the joint is the highest raising part of the door, that additional sensor will play a critical role to stop the joint and FWD will stop. People can just duck it and crawl out. At lease your door will be saved. I really don't know how inconvenience this might cause to handicap people sitting in the back.

I think the best way to fix it and agreed by the SC manager is to include additional sensors on the joint of the door, sensor has to face up. So this way when FWD goes up, the joint is the highest raising part of the door, that additional sensor will play a critical role to stop the joint and FWD will stop. People can just duck it and crawl out. At lease your door will be saved. I really don't know how inconvenience this might cause to handicap people sitting in the back.

You deserve another X! Very few people have the patience you got.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
You deserve another X! Very few people have the patience you got.

Trust me, if i can blow off my steam and get it done, I would have already done so. I learned from my experience in order to get what you want is to state the fact, justify it and take action about it. I don't have a lot of patients like lots of people here on the forum, but when an unfortunate event like mine happened, this is probably all i can do. I am just blessed that my baby girl is beautiful and healthy. That is all it matters. The X i bought is for my baby daughter to experience what the future innovation is all about from the first minute she sees this world. Hopefully when she grows up, she can proudly tell all her friends that her father was one of the first pioneers to experience her generation of transportation 16 years earlier!

This is not just a FWD thing - have no shortage of friends who have crunched their power tailgate into a low parking lot roof and I managed to scratch the tailgate on my (non-powered) Jeep the first time I opened it in the garage of my new house when I opened it and assume there was enough clearance.

I do like @ModelXBoy 's idea of being able to default the internal switch to umbrella model as a driver settable option. The other thing to remember is if you are the driver and you are opening the door in a tight space, tapping the bottom edge of the door will stop it immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
This is not just a FWD thing - have no shortage of friends who have crunched their power tailgate into a low parking lot roof and I managed to scratch the tailgate on my (non-powered) Jeep the first time I opened it in the garage of my new house when I opened it and assume there was enough clearance.

I do like @ModelXBoy 's idea of being able to default the internal switch to umbrella model as a driver settable option. The other thing to remember is if you are the driver and you are opening the door in a tight space, tapping the bottom edge of the door will stop it immediately.

Thanks. I configure this might work, at least better. I don't even have my car back yet, I will see what's up with the X when i get it and provide more useful information about the car once i do.

The hard thing about these doors is that you can't open them manually - they're completely automated, and as I mentioned, they open in different patterns depending on the sensed surroundings. Knowing what they're going to do isn't trivial. It's reasonable to expect they'd stop for a barrier on the ceiling. If it wasn't, I'd never be able to open them at home.

On point 100%. As all technology (not just Tesla's) moves forward, we as the users of it have to trust it, otherwise it has become more of a burden than a benefit. One of my favorite lines from Bladerunner is said by Harrison Ford's character, Deckard; "Replicants are like any other machine. They're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

That pretty much sums up our future. The lawyers can say what they want, but then marketing has to follow suit and not promise us magic doors and driverless cars. At least for a few more years, and yes, manufactures are ultimately going to be on the hook.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your experience. Having ordered an X to replace my classic S my only hesitation was about those doors. Yes they look cool and give additional comfort in entering and exiting the car as I understand it. But I'm getting worried now. Technology the way I see it is supposed to reduce your stress, not to increase it. With all the stuff I have to pay attention to every minute with my four kids around, I now have to control how and where the damn doors open??? It's not like beams are rare things, they are everywhere in all the parking lots I know. Yes it'll be fixed with more sensors but will it be retrofitted to existing owners? I'd appreciate to hear from the experience of actual reasonable owners (wink wink @ohmman , anything more to share ahead of your month long ownership experience that is going to come way after I need to confirm my order ;-))

Reactions: Blastphemy
Wow! This is one hot debate over the FWD! Here are some beautiful pictures of gull wing doors from the past. But the cars were much smaller, not nearly as big or tall as MX.
gull wing doors mercedes - Bing images

img1.jpg
img3.jpg
img4.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your experience. Having ordered an X to replace my classic S my only hesitation was about those doors. Yes they look cool and give additional comfort in entering and exiting the car as I understand it. But I'm getting worried now. Technology the way I see it is supposed to reduce your stress, not to increase it. With all the stuff I have to pay attention to every minute with my four kids around, I now have to control how and where the damn doors open??? It's not like beams are rare things, they are everywhere in all the parking lots I know. Yes it'll be fixed with more sensors but will it be retrofitted to existing owners? I'd appreciate to hear from the experience of actual reasonable owners (wink wink @ohmman , anything more to share ahead of your month long ownership experience that is going to come way after I need to confirm my order ;-))

Keep in mind that the people who own an X and don't like the FWDs are very few (maybe 10% at most) and those people are much more likely to come on these message boards to complain about it or post about their horror stories. Also, people who are nervous about the FWDs who don't have an X yet and haven't experienced them yet as an owner come on here to post about their nervous jitters on the FWDs and express their concerns that they think they could be a mistake even though many of them don't own an X yet!

The other 90% or more of owners who either don't mind the FWDs (people without kids) or more than likely love them (people with kids) don't feel the need to go into these online forums to talk about and defend how they don't mind them or really like them. I am one of the very few to do that, as the other 3 families I know who have an X also all love the FWDs and I'm sure they're not on these forums to defend the naysayers and say how much they love them.

If you really want to know what the owner experience is like for the FWDs then your best chance is to find some actual RANDOM Model X owners out there (e.g. Superchargers, Tesla meet ups, service centers, or just in public in general would be best) and ask them how they feel about their X and the FWDs.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and ModelX