Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are people who ordered in July who are getting their cars now. (i ordered in May). The truth is that Tesla is choosing to do this. In any other business, this lack of communication and changing dates would wreck havoc on profitability. There are people who sold their ICE cars because of the delivery dates and now are waiting months for their Tesla. New York State changed its rebate from $2000 to $500 in June so that cost me $1500 hard dollars because Tesla did not honor the 2-week delivery date at order.

I know it is clearly a first world problem. I also think that Elon is taking a calculated gamble that in a few years, when the market supports multiple charging networks, that people will stand by Tesla. If Mr. musk thinks that customer service doesn’t matter, in 3 years I think he’ll be taking a beating. Make a note of it and we can talk about it here in three years. Even the President of the United States is saying that the charging infrastructure will be shored up.

Customer service is not rocket science and Elon could easily appoint a customer service czar for the car business. They know exactly what cars are being made when and where and when and how they will be delivered. They choose to not use that data to relate to their customers. Do you really think that tesla manufacturing, inventory and the supply chain is loosy-goosy? Come on.

I know of people who have multiple orders going on, some performance, some long range, because they will take delivery of the first one and cancel the other orders. That does not help Tesla at all. In any other business, changing committed dates and not communicating is near fatal. Look at spirit airlines over the last week. There’s no guarantee that airline will survive.

Online car purchasing is supposed to be less stressful when compared with buying in a dealer. I agree that ordering the MY on my phone was cool. The lack of communication from and condescension of the SAs in the Galleries, when compared with the premier treatment one gets in BMW, Audi, Merc and Lexus, is way more stressful, IMO. And studies have shown that customers who feel abused eventually vote with their pocketbooks. When there are 20 EVs to choose from and the Supercharger network doesn't much matter, the game changes.

At the end of September, I fear that Tesla will redirect East Coast orders to the west to increase deliveries for their quarter report. Again, we have no recourse.... for now!
Only Tesla can get away with such a bad communication and Customer engagement skills(only saved by their superior product in this category)...if it were ford/bmw or any other automakers they would see their market share tank..again they should not take it for granted...the Competition is catching up...the major edge Tesla has is its Supercharging network

I feel your pain. Mine went to Oct 17-Nov 6. Positive thoughts this is only a glitch! I may need to change my delivery location because I will NOT be living in Northern Virginia by October! How does changing delivery location affect EDD? I don’t need a restart!
Probably something to ask your SA. Not liking the DMV? I can't say I see too many people leaving Fairfax right now.

Reactions: Joshnolan225
There are people who ordered in July who are getting their cars now. (i ordered in May). The truth is that Tesla is choosing to do this. In any other business, this lack of communication and changing dates would wreck havoc on profitability. There are people who sold their ICE cars because of the delivery dates and now are waiting months for their Tesla. New York State changed its rebate from $2000 to $500 in June so that cost me $1500 hard dollars because Tesla did not honor the 2-week delivery date at order.

I know it is clearly a first world problem. I also think that Elon is taking a calculated gamble that in a few years, when the market supports multiple charging networks, that people will stand by Tesla. If Mr. musk thinks that customer service doesn’t matter, in 3 years I think he’ll be taking a beating. Make a note of it and we can talk about it here in three years. Even the President of the United States is saying that the charging infrastructure will be shored up.

Customer service is not rocket science and Elon could easily appoint a customer service czar for the car business. They know exactly what cars are being made when and where and when and how they will be delivered. They choose to not use that data to relate to their customers. Do you really think that tesla manufacturing, inventory and the supply chain is loosy-goosy? Come on.

I know of people who have multiple orders going on, some performance, some long range, because they will take delivery of the first one and cancel the other orders. That does not help Tesla at all. In any other business, changing committed dates and not communicating is near fatal. Look at spirit airlines over the last week. There’s no guarantee that airline will survive.

Online car purchasing is supposed to be less stressful when compared with buying in a dealer. I agree that ordering the MY on my phone was cool. The lack of communication from and condescension of the SAs in the Galleries, when compared with the premier treatment one gets in BMW, Audi, Merc and Lexus, is way more stressful, IMO. And studies have shown that customers who feel abused eventually vote with their pocketbooks. When there are 20 EVs to choose from and the Supercharger network doesn't much matter, the game changes.

At the end of September, I fear that Tesla will redirect East Coast orders to the west to increase deliveries for their quarter report. Again, we have no recourse.... for now!
Dont forget that we are in a pandemic and 2 major chip manufacturer burned to the ground, am not defending Tesla on comunication, it sucks and they know that too. But this is not just all on Tesla.

Reactions: PatrickTM
did it say 2 weeks when you ordered on May 31st? When I ordered on June 3rd it said 9-13 weeks. I'm surprised it moved that far in just 3 days.
Yes, it was 2 weeks. I was sitting in the back of my cousin's MY and ordered it because I liked It so much. The date changed to August, then September, then bouncing around like everyone else. I keep score (I know, you're shocked) and on July 15, my EDD changed to 7/29 - 8/18. The next day was 8/19 - 9/8. Now I sit at 9/1 -9/21.

Dont forget that we are in a pandemic and 2 major chip manufacturer burned to the ground, am not defending Tesla on comunication, it sucks and they know that too. But this is not just all on Tesla.
it is on Tesla. They can reduce MYP delivery times but can't meet LR delivery times is just ridiculous. They are very likely prioritizing MYP than MYLR.

Only Tesla can get away with such a bad communication and Customer engagement skills(only saved by their superior product in this category)...if it were ford/bmw or any other automakers they would see their market share tank..again they should not take it for granted...the Competition is catching up...the major edge Tesla has is its Supercharging network
Have you ever stepped foot in a car dealership? Seriously. It's the worst experience known to man and yet they survive so you saying they would tank is something I wholly disagree with.

That said, I'm not apologizing for Tesla. When I shared the woes of this thread with my "old head" Tesla friends, we are all responding something like "I see they're playing reruns from 2012" and "yup, in 2014 I waited 108 days..." Their communication has been horrific for nearly a decade!

Honestly, I think allowing anyone to place an order for $100 via an app on a phone is the reason orders aren't filled on a first come, first serve basis. I'd love to see what the $100 order to delivery conversion rate is. I'd also be willing to put $1,000 (or more) down on my order if it meant expediting the order. Those who are truly serious would be willing to put a larger amount down. Those who are just "fantasizing" about a Tesla wouldn't.

I know a lot of people here are placing a secondary order on a MYP because the MYLR's are taking so long to deliver. I know that's a workaround to a very long and erratic delivery timeline on the LR's, but it just seems ridiculous that one could even do this. Not like I'd walk into a BMW dealer and say "Hey, since my X5 order is taking longer, I'm going to place an order on an X5M and cancel the one that doesn't arrive first".

When you sell for a living, it's ALWAYS on you. Tell the truth and don't mislead. Ford did it yesterday with the Mach-e. Tesla knows exactly what cars they can build and when. Shifting dates as a matter of policy allows them to be arbitrary about who gets what car. I bet that if I add the Perf and FSD to my car, Id get it sooner. Pandemic doesn't matter - either they have the parts or they don't. The cars don't build themselves and the mfg managers have to report on their production. It's Tesla and ridiculously precise.

Have you ever stepped foot in a car dealership? Seriously. It's the worst experience known to man and yet they survive so you saying they would tank is something I wholly disagree with.

That said, I'm not apologizing for Tesla. When I shared the woes of this thread with my "old head" Tesla friends, we are all responding something like "I see they're playing reruns from 2012" and "yup, in 2014 I waited 108 days..." Their communication has been horrific for nearly a decade!

bmw, audi and others, you have to struggle to place your order and bargain for prices. from then, you are clean and can track your car and get more precise dates.

Tesla on other hand is best in ordering process, but sucks at keeping the customers notified of their car. Now, you are choosing between 2 days of price negotiation struggle vs 100 days of mental stress looking out for your car. Still people are behind tesla because there isn't any electric car as good as tesla now. How long? That depends on how fast others catch up. Apple used to be best smartphone maker, not anymore as there are competing products better or on par with apple. Same goes with tesla, but takes time as a car isn't as small as a smartphone.

it is on Tesla. They can reduce MYP delivery times but can't meet LR delivery times is just ridiculous. They are very likely prioritizing MYP than MYLR.
Just going by the tracker spreadsheet here, it's an 8:2 ratio of LR to P. I don't think they're prioritizing the P, I just think because there are fewer orders, they're converted to deliveries quicker.

Seems to me that Tesla's EOQ boast is more on cars delivered than dollars. This is how the EOQ push for West Coast deliveries over East Coast becomes a real thing.

Reactions: TESRP and PatrickTM
I disagree with you on this one, yes they are prioritizing the MYP for the simple reason ( money ) like every other business will do today including ( BMW, Audi, Ford and so on ) they are Price gouging like mad, try buy an other car ( ICE or EV ) they all say before you order it ( you have it in a few weeks ) then a few weeks go by and you ask again where my car is. Now you get the answer we actually don't know when, parts shortage. We have a Tahoe that needs a Arm link and Chevy cant tell me when they can get the part ( no time frame at all, we call you when we get it ) been 5 weeks sense that and still no part. Service department thinks they are using the parts for new cars and repairs are last on the list too get them. Am not making this up.

Elon's dream of sustainability or whatnot could be his demise and damage Tesla greatly once he opens the Supercharger infrastructure to all EV'S; granted and I read here: How Much Revenue Will Tesla Make From Sharing Superchargers? that there's an expected 25 billion dollar revenue attached to that, but it will create a royal mess, with crowded locations, fights, yes there will be fights once you see a long, long line of other EV's, and you'd have to wait; it will piss of Tesla owners big time. Tesla's edge is the Supercharge Infrastructure and he will "give" that away. I remember seeing on YouTube videos and locally huge lines at their supercharger stations when superstorm Sandy hit NY and that will be nothing compared to the disaster-in-the-making opening the infrastructure to all will be.

Reactions: Rovin
bmw, audi and others, you have to struggle to place your order and bargain for prices. from then, you are clean and can track your car and get more precise dates.

Tesla on other hand is best in ordering process, but sucks at keeping the customers notified of their car. Now, you are choosing between 2 days of price negotiation struggle vs 100 days of mental stress looking out for your car. Still people are behind tesla because there isn't any electric car as good as tesla now. How long? That depends on how fast others catch up. Apple used to be best smartphone maker, not anymore as there are competing products better or on par with apple. Same goes with tesla, but takes time as a car isn't as small as a smartphone.

Also consider that when you place that order for a BMW and can track it through production you're not fighting with other people who just ordered one on a whim through an app without ever speaking to a human being. My wife just ordered an X3M using one of the dealers "production slots" and the process in doing so isn't something you do with the mindset of "if I end up not wanting it I'll just cancel".

Just going by the tracker spreadsheet here, it's an 8:2 ratio of LR to P. I don't think they're prioritizing the P, I just think because there are fewer orders, they're converted to deliveries quicker.

Seems to me that Tesla's EOQ boast is more on cars delivered than dollars. This is how the EOQ push for West Coast deliveries over East Coast becomes a real thing.
yeah P orders are less compared to LR. But I just hope tesla does something to speed up LR and give priority to LR and try to get P and LR as close as they can. There isn't a need to delivery a P order in 2 weeks and make an LR order wait 3-4 months right. They should be able to do something.
I disagree with you on this one, yes they are prioritizing the MYP for the simple reason ( money ) like every other business will do today including ( BMW, Audi, Ford and so on ) they are Price gouging like mad, try buy an other car ( ICE or EV ) they all say before you order it ( you have it in a few weeks ) then a few weeks go by and you ask again where my car is. Now you get the answer we actually don't know when, parts shortage. We have a Tahoe that needs a Arm link and Chevy cant tell me when they can get the part ( no time frame at all, we call you when we get it ) been 5 weeks sense that and still no part. Service department thinks they are using the parts for new cars and repairs are last on the list too get them. Am not making this up.
I'm not saying there isn't a shortage or anything. There isn't much diff between P and LR. They could technically churn out more LR than P and get both of those match with EDDs. May be they can make the wait 2 months across both.

When you sell for a living, it's ALWAYS on you. Tell the truth and don't mislead. Ford did it yesterday with the Mach-e. Tesla knows exactly what cars they can build and when. Shifting dates as a matter of policy allows them to be arbitrary about who gets what car. I bet that if I add the Perf and FSD to my car, Id get it sooner. Pandemic doesn't matter - either they have the parts or they don't. The cars don't build themselves and the mfg managers have to report on their production. It's Tesla and ridiculously precise.
sad but true, am the perfect example of that. I did that and I got it within few weeks. Got tired of waiting for my MYLR 9OD ( 6/12 )

Also consider that when you place that order for a BMW and can track it through production you're not fighting with other people who just ordered one on a whim through an app without ever speaking to a human being. My wife just ordered an X3M using one of the dealers "production slots" and the process in doing so isn't something you do with the mindset of "if I end up not wanting it I'll just cancel".
correct. that controls and makes people place order only if they want. They should increase the deposit to 1000 or 5000. Then only there will be serious buyers. But that pisses people off again because they don't want a company to take money from them and wait 1 month or so to get their car.

yeah P orders are less compared to LR. But I just hope tesla does something to speed up LR and give priority to LR and try to get P and LR as close as they can. There isn't a need to delivery a P order in 2 weeks and make an LR order wait 3-4 months right. They should be able to do something.

I'm not saying there isn't a shortage or anything. There isn't much diff between P and LR. They could technically churn out more LR than P and get both of those match with EDDs. May be they can make the wait 2 months across both.

It could be as simple as they're having a hard time obtaining a $20 gear that is on the LR but not on the P.

correct. that controls and makes people place order only if they want. They should increase the deposit to 1000 or 5000. Then only there will be serious buyers. But that pisses people off again because they don't want a company to take money from them and wait 1 month or so to get their car.

I'd put $5K down if it was a 2-3 week guarantee. Let the $100 orders get pushed out 12-15 weeks