Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after seeing the concerned posts about going pure vision I decided to do a little research. Thought what I found was interesting, so figured I'd share:
  • Having both radar and vision, means at some point the incoming data won't match and the system will have to choose which to "believe". Based on Musks comments about radar being a cause of phantom breaking, I'd assume they're having the system "believe" radar over vision less and less. Which means at some point, radar doesn't just become pointless but may actually become a liability.
  • Tesla runs phantom FSD processes in the background of it's cars for fleet training. Basically "pretending" to drive, but instead of controlling the car it's sending this training data back to Tesla. I doubt we'll even know for sure, but my guess is pure vision has been running in the background of the fleet training for some time now.
  • Musk announced (via Twitter of course; think someone else linked to it in this thread some pages back) that within the coming weeks Autopilot and FSD will be back to the current capabilities. My guess here is that the software is already here, they're just needing regulatory approval first.
  • Not sure how much testing has happened with this yet, but from what little info I could find: sounds like the current FSD beta is already pure vision and seems to be leaps and bounds improved over the current release.
Anyway, the info - and my opinions - listed above aren't meant to pursued anyone pure vision is better or worse. Personally I'm excited to see what pure vision has to offer, but definitely still have a bit of concern not having "seen it in the wild" yet. Hope someone else finds it as interesting as I have!

order 28 apr update 04_16 pm.JPG

The same info :(

• Love
Reactions: dsandhu
Having both radar and vision, means at some point the incoming data won't match and the system will have to choose which to "believe". Based on Musks comments about radar being a cause of phantom breaking, I'd assume they're having the system "believe" radar over vision less and less. Which means at some point, radar doesn't just become pointless but may actually become a liability.
Sensor fusion has been done for decades and people have figured out long ago how to combine the data from multiple noisy signals.

Removing radar just because sometimes it misbehaves is like removing the magnetometer from an IMU (inertial measurement unit) just because it goes nuts around magnets.

This argument is nonsense. Especially because radar can do things that vision will never be able to do, like seeing past the car up front by bouncing the signal under the car. It's being done right now on Tesla cars, just look at the AP visualization how AP "sees" the distance of the car in front of the car that you are following, although it's not visible from your point of view. AP even starts braking early if that car brakes hard, even if the car directly ahead of you is not braking yet.

Sensor fusion has been done for decades and people have figured out long ago how to combine the data from multiple noisy signals.

Removing radar just because sometimes it misbehaves is like removing the magnetometer from an IMU (inertial measurement unit) just because it goes nuts around magnets.

This argument is nonsense. Especially because radar can do things that vision will never be able to do, like seeing past the car up front by bouncing the signal under the car. It's being done right now on Tesla cars, just look at the AP visualization how AP "sees" the distance of the car in front of the car that you are following, although it's not visible from your point of view. AP even starts braking early if that car brakes hard, even if the car directly ahead of you is not braking yet.
What? Do you think cars can bounce a radar signal under the car in front of them to see the one in front of that one? And then the signal bounces back somehow? That's...not how radar works at all. Radar only estimates distances by bouncing the signal directly to and back from objects and it doesn't "point" the signal, which is why you need a number of sensors. They essentially triangulate signals to an object to determine where it is lateral to the car.

It is *literally* why Radar is limited...it can't possibly "see" things through or around any surface that bounces the signal, and that includes things like rain and snow (which is why most car radar systems will outright shut down if it's snowing or raining enough).

" bouncing the signal under the car" this is going to be a bummer. To be honest that was one feature I was amazed by FSD. Time will say how the pure vision holds with the natural elements too, may be a recall to add the radar back cannot be overruled. 😂

" bouncing the signal under the car" this is going to be a bummer. To be honest that was one feature I was amazed by FSD. Time will say how the pure vision holds with the natural elements too, may be a recall to add the radar back cannot be overruled. 😂

What? Do you think cars can bounce a radar signal under the car in front of them to see the one in front of that one? And then the signal bounces back somehow? That's...not how radar works at all. Radar only estimates distances by bouncing the signal directly to and back from objects and it doesn't "point" the signal, which is why you need a number of sensors. They essentially triangulate signals to an object to determine where it is lateral to the car.

It is *literally* why Radar is limited...it can't possibly "see" things through or around any surface that bounces the signal, and that includes things like rain and snow (which is why most car radar systems will outright shut down if it's snowing or raining enough).
I do think that radar can bounce, so was tesla at the time: Upgrading Autopilot: Seeing the World in Radar

I received my VIN yesterday. No text/call from SA or SC. I had to call SC three times (was hung up on twice). FINALLY got someone who cared and immediately scheduled my appt for tomorrow. He said I could take it today except temporary tags still in process. Super excited! Good luck to everyone else--definitely some unnecessary anxiety in this process.

Makes me want to call my SC and see if they can fit me in for delivery soon, but I'll chill for another day and see if I hear anything. Someone said there were > 100 MY sitting in Cincinnati, so I'm sure they're working to crank them all out.