Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all- this is a duplicate post (posted in the Midwest thread as well), and I’m not sure if this will be useful to anyone, but I was speaking to my insurance rep (State Farm) yesterday and had her run a quote for the Model Y in Chicago. We will be adding the Y as a second car, and the quote included their multi-car discount. The 6 month premium was $700, but it also reduced the premiums of our first car (a 2020 MB GLB250) by $100 (net +$600). IMO, this is about in line with what I’ve heard in Chicago for a mid-to-higher end vehicle and generally clean record. This is with $250/500/100, including underinsured/uninsured coverage with a $250 deductible, and two drivers (my wife and I). I haven’t seen a lot of localized info on insurance quotes, knowing there are a lot of variables at play, so thought I’d share.
In other news, still waiting on VIN and EDD is holding steady.

I've read that if you do that you're not supposed to get the miles both ways, but in fact, you do. What's your experience with that?
My experience is that we did get miles both ways. But that was February 2018 and things may have changed.
+@PhillyGal
Correct, you don't get to double dip and get twice the supercharger credit. Just the 1k miles. So if you have a Tesla friend, might as well use their code, and make Tesla hand out the referral supercharger credit to both you and a friend!
Shoot. So I'm giving out outdated advice. I definitely got 2,000 miles (giver and receiver) for my Model 3. Already 3.5 years ago.
I created a separate account for myself after we ordered my wife's MY. We don't take delivery of the original order till Thursday so I don't have the referral code yet but I plan to refer my order using my wife's referral code. That way she gets 1000 miles and I do too. However, I won't want to have to switch accounts to drive the cars so I'm thinking if it's just easier to forgo the 1000 referrer miles she gets and I get the 1000 miles and put both cars under 1 account.
I did add a friend's code to her order so she should be getting the miles from that.
Take it from me, you do NOT want two accounts. It's already bad enough that if you have the app "pointed" to the wrong car, your fobless car (if you have one) won't auto unlock when you walk up or worse, won't auto lock when you leave. My car has been left unlocked and rummaged through. And I've been outside in the rain cursing and yelling wondering why I couldn't get into my car.
OT: I finally saw a Tesla in my home town that does not belong to me! This is probably ho-hum to people on the coasts or in most medium to large cities but I was very excited. It was in a grocery store parking lot. Midnight Silver Metallic Model 3. Maybe I should have waited or left a note or something but I was not sure what to do and I was in the middle or running errands with frozen food in the back.
I live in a blue collar, working class part of town so for YEARS we owned a Tesla and almost never saw another one. Then a family doctor's office at the base of a corner rowhome started having one parked outside. License plate was "Tesladoc" - no idea where the doc actually lived but I still counted this one as having a local tie. I kept meaning to leave a note and never did but just couldn't help myself calling the office to talk to the doc just to say hi and that it's nice seeing a second Tesla in the neighborhood. Didn't go so well. Not bad, but he really acted like I was an idiot for bothering to call. I wouldn't do that today but in 2015 or whenever it was? Most owners would jump for joy at such contact.

Take it from me, you do NOT want two accounts. It's already bad enough that if you have the app "pointed" to the wrong car, your fobless car (if you have one) won't auto unlock when you walk up or worse, won't auto lock when you leave. My car has been left unlocked and rummaged through. And I've been outside in the rain cursing and yelling wondering why I couldn't get into my car.
Thanks. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I wasn't sure what the experience would be like. I'll see if I can have them move the order on the other account to the original account. Since the miles expire, I don't think it's worth chasing double referral on the original order.

+ @PhillyGal
Thanks. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I wasn't sure what the experience would be like. I'll see if I can have them move the order on the other account to the original account. Since the miles expire, I don't think it's worth chasing double referral on the original order.
Yup, good advice indeed @PhillyGal ! While I don't have two Tesla cars (not even one yet) I'll definitely keep this in mind.

@ajabay I don't know if you should move the order to the other account. That would be an order revision since the name on the order sheet would change. I think that *may* send you to the back of production queue and update pricing. I say once you take delivery just go ahead and burn up the 1k miles quickly, and then it is supposed to be a super easy and straightforward transfer of the car from one Tesla Account to another, without emailing or calling Tesla.

My EDD was 9/12 to 9/30 then changed to 9/14 to 9/30 and this morning now its 9/18 to 9/30 I know I'll get it this month forsure
For sure? Hmm, I am not confident that you'll get it this month for sure. I'd say there's some likelihood, but this quarter we're still seeing supply shortages, so Fremont may not be able to ramp up and go "all out" in production as they've done in years past. Previous years' EoQ means massively producing and clearing out order backlog, even incentivizing folks to take delivery or grab an inventory car through additional free supercharging and other perks. This Q just seems much slower than normal, and the backlog is massive as it has been since spring.

@ajabay I don't know if you should move the order to the other account. That would be an order revision since the name on the order sheet would change. I think that *may* send you to the back of production queue and update pricing. I say once you take delivery just go ahead and burn up the 1k miles quickly, and then it is supposed to be a super easy and straightforward transfer of the car from one Tesla Account to another, without emailing or calling Tesla.
Yes, this! Don't mess with it now but once you take delivery of the second vehicle, have Tesla combine (or follow the DIY method Patrick shared)

got my wall connector installed and powered up yesterday. Night and day compared to charging off a 15 amp breaker/ 110 outlet.

IMG_6689.jpg

Good evening all….my first post in the community! Just ordered my MY earlier today. MYLRP/Red Multi-Coat/Black/21”/FSD. You guys can grade me on my abbreviations later, lol. Still navigating the forums and learning. Looking forward to getting alot of helpful info and contributing as well.
Welcome and love your choice in colors. Enjoy the ride ahead. MY MY