Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious if people have positive or negative ideas about getting Austin production vehicles? I am coming from the perspective of working for a couple manufacturers in my life. Every time we introduced new product our new processes (presumably the same thing would apply to new production lines) - we ran into unexpected hiccups. There were always quality, production, and supply chain issues in both circumstances.

I’d personally rather get a vehicle from a production line that has worked out all the kinks. I feel like I may be in the minority though.
What is the benefit of getting delivery from Austin factory? Any new type of chasis or batteries?

Yep, Jarvis is one of my leading names atm. Check out What name did you give your new Model Y?
That is a good one. I think I will go more old school, as the driver‘s cockpit feels a little Star Trek, Next Generation to me. So, . . . Therefore . . . I think mine will be known as “Data”, so that I can use the voice command feature to tell Data to ”Make it so.”

Reading all the stories here, Red seems to be one of the lowest chosen colors and pretty high unpredictability.

My OD was 7/6 and then I missed the profile completion memo till 10/15. So, now waiting at EDD of 3/19-4/16 from last 1.5 months.

Wishing good luck to fellow clubmates on some predictability here.
You are correct. I ordered a Red with Tow Hitch and thats a deadliest combination. lol
Wish I knew that earlier, I wouldn't have ordered a tow hitch with Red color.
I have seen very few deliveries with that combination on this forum.

What is the benefit of getting delivery from Austin factory? Any new type of chasis or batteries?
1. The structural internals are different due to a new front and a new rear (very large) casting replacing many parts that are welded and bolted together in the current Model Y's
2. Potentially use of a structural battery pack using the new 4680 cells (this is going to happen, but it a question of when - but perhaps the MY's coming from Austin in Jan, 2022 will have the new battery pack, or they may come a little later.
(the combination of #1 + #2 is believed to reduce the MY's weight by up to 300 lbs. and perhaps increase the driving range if the kilowatt hour capacity of the battery pack is increased from the current battery pack)
3. There are several other potential enhancements to the MY that may be included on the Austin produced vehicles before they are included on the MY's built at the current Fremont factory. One that some here are very interested in a new adaptive suspension, but there is no word from Tesla if this is really something in the works for a future MY upgrade. Also, there are several small upgrades recently introduced on MY's being built at the China Gigafactory that will likely be inducted sometime in the next few months on the US MY's and perhaps these will show up on the MY's coming from the Austin Gigafactory before the ones produced at Fremont.

Last edited:
There isn’t a blue “View” button.
there is a blue "Go to Account" button. Still same est. delivery window and no "VIN".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 7.39.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 7.39.52 AM.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 66
You are correct. I ordered a Red with Tow Hitch and thats a deadliest combination. lol

I have a red with tow hitch on order. I don't care how long it takes, its what I want so I'll wait for it. :cool:

We ordered last week at the mail while getting a breather from the in-laws for Thanksgiving, wow that was expensive. Finally test drove the same MYP yesterday. HOOOOOLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY sh$t. That was fun.

It's my wife's new DD but let's face it Daddy will be driving it a fair bit. she is fully hooked and that is coming from a girl that has had 3 Jeep GC in a row as her absolute favorite.

Deliver scheduled for Feb 2022. Can't wait now buying all the accessories.

MYP white/white no other options.

this is my configuration with a total wait of aprox 140 days, which is totally fine with me. I'm not leasing and my car is not depreciating at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgcoco
I’m curious if people have positive or negative ideas about getting Austin production vehicles? I am coming from the perspective of working for a couple manufacturers in my life. Every time we introduced new product our new processes (presumably the same thing would apply to new production lines) - we ran into unexpected hiccups. There were always quality, production, and supply chain issues in both circumstances.

I’d personally rather get a vehicle from a production line that has worked out all the kinks. I feel like I may be in the minority though.
The only reason to want a vehicle from Texas is because they will have the stamped front and rear chassis assembly. The 4680 is a year out at least IMHO. Also having a manufacturing background I’d agree with the assessment that you don’t want to be receiving the first cars off of the new line or process

I suggest you go to you account on the tesla website and make sure you have things completed. It also give you a better but still very limited view of your status. Also try deleting and reloading the app from the App Store or google play
My app sometimes shows the "Go to Account" button if it is struggling to phone home for one reason or another. It goes back to the expected appearance once it figures out how to connect again.

Reactions: Jaycscherer
Well, seeing as my car will be delivered to Boise, ID, I am GUESSING that that means still Fremont? I personally would love the new castings approach to be in my car. 4680 too, but I realize that with a June delivery date estimated at this time, that is not likely, unless I try to defer. It will be interesting how soon Fremont also gets the new processes up on line. (EDIT: I did some googling around, and it seems Fremont already has a Giga Press?) It seems odd to me, and like it would problematic for Tesla, to have two different manufacturing processes going on for very long. I am also cognizant of the perils of receiving a car off a brand new production line that has not had the kinks worked out yet. Again, hoping June gives some time for those things to occur, and so am fine with my current estimate.

In any case, all I can do is wait and see, and try not to get too excited either way about the internet and YouTube rumor mills.

Last edited: