Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Solar Roof Wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want to add solar this year for the 26% credit and was wondering if anybody recently had it done and what the wait time was. Most of the installs I see on this forum were purchased earlier on in the year and I just wanted to get a better idea regarding the time frame. We have to reroof soon anyway and as it stands, the solar roof is actually cheaper than new shingle roof+panels so now I am even more indecisive. Thanks!

Others with more recent installs might be able to give you a better answer, but I think it varies by location (and "earth" probably doesn't help narrow it down. :) ) Understandable to want to get it done this year, but even if you end up next year, 22% still is not bad, and there is a decent chance Tesla might reduce prices as they have been known to do in the past, both with cars and solar, as incentives drop. So best bet besides asking here is to start up with Tesla as soon as possible to reserve your spot in line.

Reactions: preilly44
Others with more recent installs might be able to give you a better answer, but I think it varies by location (and "earth" probably doesn't help narrow it down. :) ) Understandable to want to get it done this year, but even if you end up next year, 22% still is not bad, and there is a decent chance Tesla might reduce prices as they have been known to do in the past, both with cars and solar, as incentives drop. So best bet besides asking here is to start up with Tesla as soon as possible to reserve your spot in line.
Lol, yeah I should really change the location. I'm in socal and surprisingly most roofers I am talking to have crazy wait times so if I am going to wait I figured I would give Tesla a thought.

I placed my order around a month ago, permits filed last week and hoping that process clears in 2-3 weeks. From there i've been told it can be anywhere from 3-5 months in wait time (Bay Area) so it's going to be tight to get in for this years tax credit but i'm going to do everything I can to make it happen.

I placed my order around a month ago, permits filed last week and hoping that process clears in 2-3 weeks. From there i've been told it can be anywhere from 3-5 months in wait time (Bay Area) so it's going to be tight to get in for this years tax credit but i'm going to do everything I can to make it happen.
Did they do a site visit prior to permitting? Hope they pull through for you!

I placed my order in early July and was told a week or so ago to expect everything to be ready around March 2021. The Tesla advisor told me that the key constraint in my area (Washington DC / Northern VA / MD) is limited installation crew(s). The crew for this area is based in Beltsville, MD. So, it looks like I'll have to settle for 22%. :(

I placed my order in early July and was told a week or so ago to expect everything to be ready around March 2021. The Tesla advisor told me that the key constraint in my area (Washington DC / Northern VA / MD) is limited installation crew(s). The crew for this area is based in Beltsville, MD. So, it looks like I'll have to settle for 22%. :(
That is a bummer. But, as your install gets close, check for updated (better) pricing. We signed our contract in 2019 for a 2020 solar roof install. When we spoke to them before the install about adding a second PW, they also re-ran the contract numbers and gave us the new, reduced pricing. Hopefully for you, Tesla will again reduce the prices, if not due to cost improvements on their end, then to help offset the drop to 22%. The way Tesla is currently pricing things, 6 months is a long time, so there is certainly at least reason to think the pricing will improve. Worst case they say no or prices have gone up, and you stick with the agreement you have.

FYI, we were the first install for our crew in 2020 (possibly the first v3 install in the area, period.) Teardown of the old roof started 2/28 - they were just waiting for the end of winter to begin. So that is probably about when the first installs for 2021 will happen in the area.

Reactions: preilly44
A 3rd party to do the solar now?

I really want to add solar this year for the 26% credit and was wondering if anybody recently had it done and what the wait time was. Most of the installs I see on this forum were purchased earlier on in the year and I just wanted to get a better idea regarding the time frame. We have to reroof soon anyway and as it stands, the solar roof is actually cheaper than new shingle roof+panels so now I am even more indecisive. Thanks!
If you need a new roof you don't even want to contemplate solar until you get your new roof on. So let's start there.

We need a new roof (3rd in 20+ years) and so for us, the decision to do the solar roof was not a difficult one. And like you, we found the SolarRoof was cheaper than a new roof (tile in our case) and solar. We signed up in November 2019 and they started the install March 2, 2020. The install was completed April 2. This included a 1+ week shutdown due to a Covid stop work on all contracting country-wide order. So the actual install was 2+ weeks. But delays with paperwork and inspection pushed the Final inspection and Permission to operate to August.

So if you can get everything scheduled now, you might get the work done by the end of the year, but it is very late to try to get this done. And the difference between 22% and 26% is not that big.

My suggestion is that if you want the SolarRoof, get it started now and just let the timeframe work out. Getting it done this year is questionable. Glitches happen and will cause a lot of stress if you are dead set on getting it done this year. Also, the cost savings are immense. We are seeing our total (electric and gas) power bill drop from $500 to around $70. The sooner you realize these cost savings, the better off your budget becomes month after month, and year after year.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
We need a new roof (3rd in 20+ years) and so for us, the decision to do the solar roof was not a difficult one. And like you, we found the SolarRoof was cheaper than a new roof (tile in our case) and solar.

My suggestion is that if you want the SolarRoof, get it started now and just let the timeframe work out.
I’m in the same boat, I have an older tile roof. However, my power bill is only $200 a month and I’m in Florida. I’m not sure if there any solar tile installations in my area. I may inquire today.

As others mentioned, it really depends on where do you live. Because the solar roof is the brand new product, it requires various approvals from local counties and each one has different requirements and fire codes. I live in Orange County, CA and we have signed the agreement beginning of this year. Our project is stalled because Tesla is still working with our county to satisfy the requirements.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
As others mentioned, it really depends on where do you live. Because the solar roof is the brand new product, it requires various approvals from local counties and each one has different requirements and fire codes. I live in Orange County, CA and we have signed the agreement beginning of this year. Our project is stalled because Tesla is still working with our county to satisfy the requirements.
Do you know what the issues are?

I live in OC and Tesla quoted me on solar panels. but i have to do reroofing for 10k before they install. Now, I'm thinking of doing solar roof. What's the issue of your delay? HOA restirctions?

I placed my order in early July and was told a week or so ago to expect everything to be ready around March 2021.

I got a nice surprise yesterday and am now scheduled for a November install.

The more I advance through the process, the more clear it becomes that there is huge variability in the process and timing based upon where you live (as others have stated). In my case, I believe the key constraint is the installation crew and I think I might have been given an earlier slot because of someone else's cancellation.

Here's another example of variability ...
It took me over a month to get HOA approval. Our covenants committee meets monthly. I missed the July meeting submission deadline and then the August meeting got postponed a week because they didn't have a quorum. I did finally get approval last week. I asked Tesla's install scheduler whether my HOA approval delay had any effect on scheduling my install and he said in my case, it did not. As long as I had approval prior to the install date, everything would have moved forward on the same schedule. However, he did say that in some states/localities the HOA approval is a pre-requisite for install scheduling. So, it depends ...

Also, I asked the Tesla scheduler about whether the install date or the PTO date must be used when claiming the Federal Tax Credit and he said the install date was sufficient. I'm hopeful now with a November install that I'll get lucky and have PTO before the end of the year. However, if my PTO gets pushed into 2021 I'll certainly be tempted to consider using my install date so that I can still claim the 26% credit. I've seen good arguments for both sides of the install/PTO "debate" here. Hope I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks everyone for the good insights here. Our planning permits were just approved yesterday and in speaking with my Tesla advisor, he said there is another (internal Tesla) review that needs to happen before I move into the scheduling stage and that might take 1-2 weeks before they open me up for scheduling. This part has me a bit confused since we have approved plans, any insights into what they are doing and how I might be able to expedite it?

I live in OC and Tesla quoted me on solar panels. but i have to do reroofing for 10k before they install. Now, I'm thinking of doing solar roof. What's the issue of your delay? HOA restirctions?

It seems like they need to get the approval from Orange County Fire Authority even before applying for the city permit. But they still dont have the approval and are following up with them. I am not sure why when others can do it.

It seems like they need to get the approval from Orange County Fire Authority even before applying for the city permit. But they still dont have the approval and are following up with them. I am not sure why when others can do it.

I made a reservation two weeks ago and was told today to expect 2-3 more weeks just to get an initial design. Apparently there’s a ‘backlog’.

Is this delay typical from others’ experiences?