Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cut wires in rear view mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed the rear view mirror in an effort to gain access to power up there and I accidentally cut the yellow and white wires that were connected to the mirror. Does anyone know what those wires were for (self dimming mirror, maybe)? How can I fix it? Can I get a new cable assembly? Thanks.

I removed the rear view mirror in an effort to gain access to power up there and I accidentally cut the yellow and white wires that were connected to the mirror. Does anyone know what those wires were for (self dimming mirror, maybe)? How can I fix it? Can I get a new cable assembly? Thanks.
Surely the simplest solution would be just to join them again and if you were looking for power one of them would most likely have 12V any time the vehicle was on although the amperage available may be fairly low if the circuit only operates the dim function. If there isn't enough length to rejoin at the cut you may have to put in 2 short extensions and use 4 joiners.

I just bought a Uniden R3 and would like to take power from the circuit in the mirror of my 2020 Model 3. Can anyone show me how to open the panel behind the mirror to gain access to 12v power. Seems much cleaner and easier than other methods suggested in the forums (like the cigarette power outlet in the console).

I just bought a Uniden R3 and would like to take power from the circuit in the mirror of my 2020 Model 3. Can anyone show me how to open the panel behind the mirror to gain access to 12v power. Seems much cleaner and easier than other methods suggested in the forums (like the cigarette power outlet in the console).

mirror cover.png

mirror harness.png