Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber(nota)truck even more Not a truck than I first thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UCA sees very little stress. Check out the UCA on a Raptor:
View attachment 1021833

A Rivian R1S did the Rubicon trail and I'm sure it was teetering on two wheels the entire way through. On the other hand it's a much better handling vehicle on the road than anything else as capable. All the vehicles you mentioned are plenty capable of "overlanding" which is the type of capability that most people want.
A full size truck will never be a great rock crawler due to size so the compromise of an air suspension makes sense to me.
You don’t need 35’s to Overland. For what most people consider Overlanding, the best vehicles out there are the Subaru outback/Ford Maverick category.

My current off-road truck is an LX 570 (on 34’s) prior to that was a G500. I off road fairly hard but not just to off road, for me it is to access the backcountry of AK: biking, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, camping,…. I avoid rock crawling if at all possible.

I’m looking the CT as more of a maverick/santa Cruz Competitor due to its off-road, towing and range limitations.

Here is my rig last fall ~150 miles above the arctic circle on one of my camp sites in a gravel pit just off the Dalton.

Attachments

• IMG_9830.jpeg
    IMG_9830.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 18
I consider Overlanding being miles away from Civilization. Something like what these people are doing. Which company will be the First to Modify an electric Truck for serious Overlanding?

The problems with the current batch of EV trucks are airsprings and big rims.

Now that used Rivian’s are getting close to $40k i’m strongly considering one. First thing I’ll do is pull the brakes so I can fit 17 inch rims

You don’t need 35’s to Overland. For what most people consider Overlanding, the best vehicles out there are the Subaru outback/Ford Maverick category.

My current off-road truck is an LX 570 (on 34’s) prior to that was a G500. I off road fairly hard but not just to off road, for me it is to access the backcountry of AK: biking, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, camping,…. I avoid rock crawling if at all possible.

I’m looking the CT as more of a maverick/santa Cruz Competitor due to its off-road, towing and range limitations.

Here is my rig last fall ~150 miles above the arctic circle on one of my camp sites in a gravel pit just off the Dalton.

That beast is beautiful, love it!

Reactions: coleAK

My current off-road truck is an LX 570 prior to that was a G500. I off road fairly hard but not just to off road, for me it is to access the backcountry of AK: biking, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, camping,…. I avoid rock crawling if at all possible.

The cybertruck should be far more capable than a maverick or outback. It has lockers and doesn’t have a CVT that will fail on a steep grade. I wouldn’t want to drive those roads in Death Valley in the video I posted in a Subaru.
I’ve driven them in my GX and I have the same off-road philosophy as you. I’m trying to get places and see stuff, not get stuck or break stuff.

The cybertruck should be far more capable than a maverick or outback. It has lockers and doesn’t have a CVT that will fail on a steep grade. I wouldn’t want to drive those roads in Death Valley in the video I posted in a Subaru.
I’ve driven them in my GX and I have the same off-road philosophy as you. I’m trying to get places and see stuff, not get stuck or break stuff.
I grew up in Tahoe and worked 2 summers for the park service in Yosemite. I drove/camped all those roads in Death Valley in my old 1983 Subaru Loyal gl.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
I grew up in Tahoe and worked 2 summers for the park service in Yosemite. I drove/camped all those roads in Death Valley in my old 1983 Subaru Loyal gl.
Yeah, driver skill level and bravery varies. :p
I've watched a few of this guys videos where his crew pushes the limits of what Subarus and other crossovers can do. Here's a Subaru on Mengel Pass (Lippincott is definitely tougher and I think Steele Pass is too).
Anyway I expect the Cybertruck will be more capable than a Subaru Outback. I wonder what the deal is with the lockers. How is it that they haven't added them to the software yet?
Now that used Rivian’s are getting close to $40k i’m strongly considering one. First thing I’ll do is pull the brakes so I can fit 17 inch rims
That sounds expensive! Has anyone actually done that? Seem like you might mess up the ABS and traction control calibrations. 34" tires on 20" rims is still decent sidewall.

Yeah, driver skill level and bravery varies. :p
I've watched a few of this guys videos where his crew pushes the limits of what Subarus and other crossovers can do. Here's a Subaru on Mengel Pass (Lippincott is definitely tougher and I think Steele Pass is too).
Anyway I expect the Cybertruck will be more capable than a Subaru Outback. I wonder what the deal is with the lockers. How is it that they haven't added them to the software yet?

That sounds expensive! Has anyone actually done that? Seem like you might mess up the ABS and traction control calibrations. 34" tires on 20" rims is still decent sidewall.
I’ve seen lots of pinch flats on 20” rims even with 34 and 35” tires. Seems like every fall the last few years I help someone with 20’s and AT tires on a pretty mild forest service road that hit the wrong rock. Problem with 20’s even with a 34” tire is when you air down.

I’ve looked into it and Rivian use pretty standard Bosch ABS, same hubs as a ram and Brembo brakes. I figure if the software dosn’t get in the way probably <$3k to swap out rotors, calipers and pads. And can probably sell what I take off to make a large part of that up.

I was hopeful that the CT would have some capability but from everything I’ve seen so far looks like it is not.

I will also say my 1983 Loyal was part time 4x4 with locking diffs.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel in SD
The problems with the current batch of EV trucks are airsprings and big rims.

Have you found a solution to the brakes? Edit: saw your other reply.

If you’re concerned of airsprings, wait until you learn about the mclaren 720s struts under the R1 platform. The tenneco / Monroe units are fragile.

The current batch of EV trucks has far more issues than the suspension and wheel choices. But I guess it’s all about how one goes about measuring vehicle problems.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Have you found a solution to the brakes? Edit: saw your other reply.

If you’re concerned of airsprings, wait until you learn about the mclaren 720s struts under the R1 platform. The tenneco / Monroe units are fragile.

The current batch of EV trucks has far more issues than the suspension and wheel choices. But I guess it’s all about how one goes about measuring vehicle problems.
I’m aware the Rivian also has air springs. I have a buddy with an R1s and another with a R1T. They are pretty nice vehicles. Sort of suck off road (suspension is too stiff, have 20’s, and they spin tires a bunch). But I’m considering a R1T to use in the same capacity of my model 3 but with a bed. I know I couldn’t tow or go on much more then a gravel road (unless my brake swap works). However ~10k mile R1Ts are selling wholesale for the mid $40k currently and there are a relative ton on the market right now. My theory (and hope) is that in the next year they will be in the <$40k.

For <$35k (the price of a maverick or Santa Cruz) think I’d get one and give it a go.

As for the brake swap, it is a researched theory at this point. When/if the Rivians get down to the price range I’ll do more research.

Gonna throw my opinion into the ring. I've been holding out for a new truck and currently have a 2005 Tacoma with over 270k miles on it since I bought it new. Since its a Toyota, I can probably keep it running indefinitely but the poor gas mileage and mediocre towing ability leave a lot to be desired. As information and reviews on the Cybertruck continue to roll in, I'm not too impressed. Then again, I'm not too impressed with most electric trucks on the market so far. I think we need a fundamental battery architecture change (e.g. solid state) with significantly lower costs and higher energy density before the truck market segment can truly benefit. The market conditions in 2024 for new conventional ICE trucks is shaping up to be a buyers' market later this year with potential for significant deals - I have my sights set on a GMC Sierra 1500 with the 3.0L Duramax diesel. All the range and towing capacity I can ask for with outstanding fuel economy to boot. I'm planning on cancelling my CT reservation and seeing what EV technology is on the horizon over the next 5-7 years. I also plan on keeping my MY with the intent of putting at least 100k miles on it as it is proving to be very reliable almost 50k miles in.

Gonna throw my opinion into the ring. I've been holding out for a new truck and currently have a 2005 Tacoma with over 270k miles on it since I bought it new. Since its a Toyota, I can probably keep it running indefinitely but the poor gas mileage and mediocre towing ability leave a lot to be desired. As information and reviews on the Cybertruck continue to roll in, I'm not too impressed. Then again, I'm not too impressed with most electric trucks on the market so far. I think we need a fundamental battery architecture change (e.g. solid state) with significantly lower costs and higher energy density before the truck market segment can truly benefit. The market conditions in 2024 for new conventional ICE trucks is shaping up to be a buyers' market later this year with potential for significant deals - I have my sights set on a GMC Sierra 1500 with the 3.0L Duramax diesel. All the range and towing capacity I can ask for with outstanding fuel economy to boot. I'm planning on cancelling my CT reservation and seeing what EV technology is on the horizon over the next 5-7 years. I also plan on keeping my MY with the intent of putting at least 100k miles on it as it is proving to be very reliable almost 50k miles in.
Good plan... great plan if it's between a CT and diesel.

The 3.0 is a nice design aside from a few reliability/maintainability issues. I would be nervous buying used.

Where did you see RT1’s in the $40k’s? Not sarcasm but my local CL is still in the $80k range for a 2022/23
They are all over the various used car websites for ~$65k. Which means dealers are picking them up wholesale closer to low $50k’s. I’ve seen two recently go at wholesale auction for $47-48k. And there are a relative ton out there on the used car market >200 right now used R1T on cars.com.

It’s all just a guess, an educated one: prices have dropped, trucks aren’t selling,…. I could be wrong but I’m predicting prices to continue to fall over the next year.

There also isn’t a great market for used EV’s in general. Overall We are still in the early adapter domain, and early adopters tend to buy new. I know a guy that has already bought and sold his R1T, along with a plaid, and polestar all in the last 3 years…

They are all over the various used car websites for ~$65k. Which means dealers are picking them up wholesale closer to low $50k’s. I’ve seen two recently go at wholesale auction for $47-48k. And there are a relative ton out there on the used car market >200 right now used R1T on cars.com.

It’s all just a guess, an educated one: prices have dropped, trucks aren’t selling,…. I could be wrong but I’m predicting prices to continue to fall over the next year.

There also isn’t a great market for used EV’s in general. Overall We are still in the early adapter domain, and early adopters tend to buy new. I know a guy that has already bought and sold his R1T, along with a plaid, and polestar all in the last 3 years…
Sold my a Plaid today. Zero regrets.