Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber truck will be the best selling vehicle ever

Will the cybertruck be the last car you purchase?

• Yes, if it can last 1,000,000 miles

Votes: 55 50.5%
  • No, It has a face only a mother can love

Votes: 54 49.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the next gen battery cells clearly are nowhere near mass production readiness... that's why the Plaid+ was cancelled and Berlin Model Y's will be manufactured with LG cells for a while
Does indeed seem like that was why the Plaid+ was cancelled.

But they are manufacturing the 4680 cells in enough volume in Fremont to supply the Texas Model Y production and expect to have Texas making 4680 cells in volume next year. They are not just “near Production” now, but actually in production.

Does indeed seem like that was why the Plaid+ was cancelled.

But they are manufacturing the 4680 cells in enough volume in Fremont to supply the Texas Model Y production and expect to have Texas making 4680 cells in volume next year. They are not just “near Production” now, but actually in production.
Yea. Sure they are. Lol.

Ya. Obviously new prototype exists, with non-trivial feature apparent (4 wheel steering). CEO acknowledges & answers mirror controversy, with mirrors seen on prototype, with "will have them, but easily removable". Pricing removed from website, but not like CT web page was removed entirely; easy to put new numbers back on. Etc.

Makes me notice:
Can't speak for other areas, but around here (Atlanta region) Tesla cars are becoming quite common; pickups are about 1/3rd of traffic, so cracking that market is critical to an EV-only manufacturer. I don't see how Tesla can not attack this segment at all costs. Losing the EV pickup market would be crippling for long-term prospects. Tesla has to enter it, soon, before Ford & Rivian can reach for a commanding lead.

Ya. Obviously new prototype exists, with non-trivial feature apparent (4 wheel steering). CEO acknowledges & answers mirror controversy, with mirrors seen on prototype, with "will have them, but easily removable". Pricing removed from website, but not like CT web page was removed entirely; easy to put new numbers back on. Etc.

Makes me notice:
Can't speak for other areas, but around here (Atlanta region) Tesla cars are becoming quite common; pickups are about 1/3rd of traffic, so cracking that market is critical to an EV-only manufacturer. I don't see how Tesla can not attack this segment at all costs. Losing the EV pickup market would be crippling for long-term prospects. Tesla has to enter it, soon, before Ford & Rivian can reach for a commanding lead.
agreed. Tesla can let Rivian sail for now (small volumes, too $$$) ... but they need to match F150 lightning volumes and excel volumes soon. Cant let Ford gain ground for too long before the CT hits the road. CT and F150 Lightning will go head to head price wise ... albeit the target group initially will be different.

I'm thinking major auto manufacturers are seeing cues the rest of us are missing. Not sure if they're just mitigating possible futures by gaining EV competency and testing market interest, have inside scoop on legislatures planning to practically ban ICE vehicles, or just seeing customer trajectories heading toward simple clean-running vehicles that are ultimately cheaper to own. I doubt Ford et al "care about the planet", they want salaries & dividends (not a bad thing; methinks capitalism is most viable route to better environment).

Did Ford enter the EV market because the care about the planet or just because EV is the future?

I think 2021 has been a bizarre inflection point.

Usually when you have a paradigm shift, it is more subtle. This time around, it was quite clearly sometime during the spring or early summer of this year.

That was the moment all of the major auto makers heard a giant sucking sound coming out of their wallets. The Model 3 and the Model Y had hit their stride and were truly starting to just demolish the auto market.

Just a few years ago the CEO of Ford called EVs a science project for nerds. Now he says it’s the future of all cars (even though he suggests 50% of their business will still be ICE in 9 years).

Ford is entering the EV market because they are scared .

I'm thinking major auto manufacturers are seeing cues the rest of us are missing. Not sure if they're just mitigating possible futures by gaining EV competency and testing market interest, have inside scoop on legislatures planning to practically ban ICE vehicles, or just seeing customer trajectories heading toward simple clean-running vehicles that are ultimately cheaper to own. I doubt Ford et al "care about the planet", they want salaries & dividends (not a bad thing; methinks capitalism is most viable route to better environment).
If you look at most of the stuff the government is doing, it is subtly designed to bolster Ford and GM. The fact that they are talking about giving GM and Ford PHEVs as much money in EV incentives as a full on BEV Tesla more or less says it all. The auto makers are crapping their pants and they think they can use PHEVs as a crutch to delay this change long enough to transition.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Not strange at all. I remember when doubters were convinced that Tesla would never build the Model Y. ;) That blew-up in their faces and we don't hear about it anymore.

So they moved their goal-posts to "Tesla will never build the CT" which has even bigger reservation #s.

Someone here is strangely vested in pushing, very hard, a "CT not gonna happen" narrative. I wonder why.
It’s funny since new Cybertruck prototype was spotted few days ago. They are sure trying hard for something that isn’t coming. 😂🙄

not lower than Zero (aka what the CT deliveries will be in 2022 and likely largely into 2023...)
Why yes, when someone says “Low” that often includes non zero numbers.

Ford is planning on producing 15,000 trucks starting in the spring. While that is indeed non-zero, it is likely fewer than Rivian. It is also vastly lower than Tesla’s planned volume which is likely 1000/ week in the first quarter. It is possible if Tesla starts production of the Cybertruck in October of 2022 they will produce more trucks next year than Ford. Not likely… but possible.

15,000 is also a tiny fraction of Ford’s own ICE vehicle production as well.

Reactions: WhiteWi