Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An even if you were feeling, "responsible" there are much better options out there than this CT....
Of course! We are, or wish to be, early adopters. Meanwhile we drive our LESS impractical Teslas waiting for CT. You still can't justify purchasing most ANY BEV based on cost, maintenance, and fuel. We're all early adopters willing to pay extra and deal with a lot of wormy software.

A gasoline hybrid is the current optimal choice for the practical-minded motorist. A group which ceased including me when I sold a perfectly competent high milage 2010 Prius for $4800 and bought a $28K high-milage 2013 MS. And have never looked back. Prior to this time I merely sipped the KookAide.

An even if you were feeling, "responsible" there are much better options out there than this CT....

Truly environmentally sound motoring consists of keeping your existing average car with average economy running and driving as long as reasonably possible.

This net saves the most energy/ pollution. It also happens to save a ton of money.

Of course we all like new big shiny things and many of us will justify spending $65K on a new ride and then tell anyone you will listen that we are saving $75/ month in fuel, all along we are losing $1K/ month in depreciation on the new purchase.

The human mind is truly a fascinating place.

You are totally correct. It is a problem that we mostly only have in the US. Europeans only change vehicles when practicality dictates, for the most part. Our "trading up" practice is wasteful to the extreme. Most of the world would love to browse our trash.

And I have lived that way my entire life. If I don't have an item, I will generally live without it. I keep cars until they reach 300K miles routinely. And this depression-era mentality (which has little basis for controlling my life) has enabled me to accumulate a large savings. It will go to three children and 9 grandchildren because I can easily live on social security.

With one big fat exception. In the last ten years I loosened up when I sold a 12 y.o. 322K mile Prius with absolutely nothing wrong with it (they NEVER seem to break) and bought a 5 y o. one. I wanted the newer technology. I have never replaced a car for such a seemingly silly reason.

Then I went with a friend to test drive an M3 and discovered Tesla. I only knew the 80 mile range Leaf before that and became, shall we say "interested". Within months I bought the used 2013 MS, then 7 years old with 94K miles on it. 18 months later I sold that one to my brother and got an MX75d with 116K miles. Gave that to my daughter when I found an MX P90d with bad axles, a stuck-open driver's window (in Jan) and wormy fuel door with 116K miles for under $30K. I am hooked.

Now none of the above was particularly wasteful because each vehicle in this long text was bought used with more miles on them than most of you would consider taking on. Toyota and Tesla ARE extremely low-repair, generally speaking. All three (Tesla) cars combined cost around $110K and the two Prii $14.5K combined. But NOW I am on the list to buy a NEW cybertruck that is admittedly overpriced and if I get an FS invitation (unlikely since I ordered in 2021), admittedly under equipped for the money. I ordered all three versions because you to had to pick your trim at the time and I wanted one. It is economically indefensible because Suns_PSD is correct. We buy stuff like we're demented in this country. BUT never forget that rampant consumerism has made this the greatest nation on earth. That's my only defense and it is admittedly lame.

Hydrogen is the futu…
IMG_6271.png

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
so I saw and touched a CT in person, it was charging next to my car at the supercharger station.

I think that these guys have a point, in that the Rivian and the F-150 are trucks. it's true.
it is also true that the CT is a much more important product than either of those trucks could ever be.

because those are trucks, and just trucks. and that sucks.

the CT is so much more than just a truck.

so I saw and touched a CT in person, it was charging next to my car at the supercharger station.

I think that these guys have a point, in that the Rivian and the F-150 are trucks. it's true.
it is also true that the CT is a much more important product than either of those trucks could ever be.

because those are trucks, and just trucks. and that sucks.

the CT is so much more than just a truck.

I’d like to know why the CT is “much more important product”

Trucks are trait the most important segment in the USA and the pace where the largest fuel savings can be potentially had.
Which is why a 'real' EV truck is so important.

Agreed, and should drive like a Truck not a CUV.

Battery Pack size is also important. If I’m only saving $50 a week in gas but paid $30-50k more to get the EV, then there is no point.

The Cybertruck was supposed to put the smackdown on Legacy Truck makers and the ICE Truck makers should be very very worried. It was supposed to cost the same as a Model Y and it would never cost more than 10 to 15K than the reveal prices. Towing range and payload that would rival a 3/4 ton Truck. Anyone that disagreed was wrong. These are the statements made on this Cybertruck thread since the Truck was reveled. We can agree or disagree on what the Truck is or isn't. But what was released is not what people expected the Truck would be.

The batteries would not expire rather quickly. Battery life is often rated in number of charge cycles, which if you aren't using it much, would be experiencing fewer charge cycles.

The power you could get on a camper from solar isn't miniscule. It's insufficient on a vehicle that has a tiny roof and often parks indoors, but a camper has a huge mostly flat top and generally stays outside when in use. Some of those trailers you could fit 20 full size panels on. That's the same number as I have on my house.
Lithium batteries also age with time. The battery degradation factors are time, temperature, and cycles. Expect 10-12 years for the battery life.