Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Spotted LA (405 Freeway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do the doors look different in the sunshine?

Is there a statement I can make to my installer to avoid this - when I get my CT wrapped?

View attachment 1000648
That's going to happen with pretty much any matte finish. It's designed to spread the light out. That particular picture just happens to hit it at just the right angle to look like that. The lack of curves on the CT exaggerates the effect.
It cannot be avoided if you want a matte PPF/wrap.

I've seen a few DeLoreans and despite being 40yrs old, few show scratches. I wouldn't worry about that so much... especially because it's a truck, it's kind of expected.

Wrapping that thing will be SUPER easy. Definitely a DIY job, it's all flat panels with no curves (the difficult part of ppf)
Taking your word on the SS showing less scratches.

But you're correct on the ease of DIY wrapping the CT.
PPF is a little different only because it's a wet application vs dry vinyl.
So different skill sets, but you couldn't pick an easier vehicle to learn on.
Looking forward to watching YT videos to see the differences in appearance from matte clear PPF vs gloss clear, and how the SS looks through them.
But I'd say the majority of folks will choose to change the color either way.

That's going to happen with pretty much any matte finish. It's designed to spread the light out. That particular picture just happens to hit it at just the right angle to look like that. The lack of curves on the CT exaggerates the effect.
It cannot be avoided if you want a matte PPF/wrap.

I believe you are correct. I was just wondering why if the vehicle was covered in the same wrap...then all doors would relfect the same way.

Isn't it the same wrap and the same vehicle?

I believe you are correct. I was just wondering why if the vehicle was covered in the same wrap...then all doors would relfect the same way.

Isn't it the same wrap and the same vehicle?
If you're referring to the slightly brighter rear door, I just think that's where the sun is directly hitting from that angle, which would make it a bit lighter than the rest. Because if you look at the other pics that are at different angles, it basically looks the same.

Last edited:
If you're referring to the slightly brighter rear door, I just think that's where the sun is directly hitting from that angle, which would make it a bit lighter than the rest.

Yes, I believe that's what I'm seeing. It looks like the doors are different colors of black. They are at the same angle in the sun...etc.

See what I'm saying?

1702913649030.png

Yes, I believe that's what I'm seeing. It looks like the doors are different colors of black. They are at the same angle in the sun...etc.

See what I'm saying?

View attachment 1000673
Yeah, technically it's not the exact same angle.
If this were an identical pic but with gloss finish instead of matte, I'd guess you'd see the sun's reflection directly on the rear door, but not the front door. That's what's causing the color difference.

Yeah, technically it's not the exact same angle.
If this were an identical pic but with gloss finish instead of matte, I'd guess you'd see the sun's reflection directly on the rear door, but not the front door. That's what's causing the color difference.

Ok, I suppose I just thought that the sun was shining the same way on both doors. The truck is flat.

Anyway, I don't understand. Can anyone else help with this?

Ok, I suppose I just thought that the sun was shining the same way on both doors. The truck is flat.

For the sun to be hitting both doors the same, it would mean that the side of the truck would not be flat/flush.

Think about when you look at a skyscraper with all glass windows. If the side of the building is flat, you don't see the sun's direct reflection in every window.
There are slight angle differences for each window, that widen the farther away from your perspective in relation to the sun. Same would apply to the CT picture, just in smaller scale. If the CT's side is flat/flush, you won't see the direct reflection of the sun in every side panel, just the one spot where your angle perspective sees it.
Just like if you were looking at the truck in person, and someone else was standing next to you, they wouldn't see the sun hitting exactly where you see it hitting the truck, because they have their own unique angle perspective.

When you are very close to the object reflecting the sunlight, in this case about one car length away from an object one car length long, then the angle of reflection changes more drastically as your eye moves along the object. The difference in tone as the angle changes also is more exaggerated when sun is coming at a sharp angle to the object, as you catch more of the surface sheen of the object as opposed to just its color.

Case in point, I recently had to have some stucco siding patched on my house, I repainted it with matching color, but there is a slight difference in sheen between the new matte paint, and the 10-year old original matte paint. At mid-day, the sun is coming more head-on to the wall and reflecting back to my eye, the paint blends in perfectly. But closer to sunset, the sun is coming at a sharp angle to that wall and reflecting back to my eye, standing about 20 feet away, and I can starkly see where the old and new paint differ, slightly off in the color matching, but also the old paint has lost more of it's original sheen (even matte paint has a bit a sheen)

As to why the tone change is not more gradual across the length of that CT, I think when the sun is at a sharp angle, it'll accentuate any imperfections in the hanging of that door, so it may be just a fraction of degree off from the adjacent panels. I'll bet if you looked at the same CT with the sun coming from right behind you or in front of you, the panels would look more uniform.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Taking your word on the SS showing less scratches.

But you're correct on the ease of DIY wrapping the CT.
PPF is a little different only because it's a wet application vs dry vinyl.
So different skill sets, but you couldn't pick an easier vehicle to learn on.
Looking forward to watching YT videos to see the differences in appearance from matte clear PPF vs gloss clear, and how the SS looks through them.
But I'd say the majority of folks will choose to change the color either way.
That's a good distinction, I've never done a wrap, just ppf. I never knew it was a dry application, I kind of thought they were the same. Off to go watch some YouTube vids of wrapping!

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
To be clear this isn't a wrap. This is a colored paint protection film. Just like Xpel if you've heard of them.

For my tesla its a blue PPF that has a warranty for 10 years. Any issues, they replace for free. However, if a rock slices it that I just have to pay for that piece to be reinstalled.

Tesla does not sell wraps. They sell paint protection films which is funny because the Cyber has no paint. I spoke to tesla's product manager lead. He didn't want to tell me any specifics and said anything you can find on the website. He told me the brand they are using is a brand everyone knows but can't say. He also said, they wrap the edges completely and do the jams so its like a full paint job.

But he for some reason wouldn't tell me the warranty, etc haha.
STEK is the only company that use real paint pigment sandwiched between the layers of the PPF.

I’ll also be looking into the Black Damascus pattern:

in CT dual motor.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL