Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily reset/shutdown of my Powerwall+ and/or Inverter after coolant top-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
99% it's on the inverter, just not sure if we have access to that variable
I'm not technically savvy enough to follow the discussions half of the time but happy that this group was able isolate the source of the problem. Is there a way to communicate this back to Tesla's engineers so they can address it with a software update?

Fwiw, shutdowns have returned to my system as it appears timing had been reset to just before sunrise with the last software update.

I'm not technically savvy enough to follow the discussions half of the time but happy that this group was able isolate the source of the problem. Is there a way to communicate this back to Tesla's engineers so they can address it with a software update?

Fwiw, shutdowns have returned to my system as it appears timing had been reset to just before sunrise with the last software update.

Did you try using the e-stop big red button after sunset when the panels stop generating?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210812-075048_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210812-075048_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I monitored the status and running properties returned from /api/sitemaster yesterday. The values did not change at all during the day, and I had no solar production drop out (as I reported yesterday). The values also did not change in the evening yesterday, despite me using the e-stop/RSD switch around the same time the day prior. The values have been “status: StatusUp” and “running: True” since I started polling it. Therefore it seems that this endpoint is not useful in detecting the inverter restart/self test. Thanks to @darryllee for finding a better way by parsing the /api/vitals payload.

Reactions: Bitslizer
So tentatively experimental result

Kairojya - e-stop - 1 day no drop out
Bitslizer - e-stop - 1 day no drop out
Darryllee - web portal stop system - still have drop out
Bryan995 - e-stop wired to gateway won't shut down -pending update
Skoo - ??
Abek - ??
Not sure I know how to locate this e-stop. Posting some photos to see if anyone can help:

1) Inverter -- don't see any buttons here
2) Inverter connects to these breakers -- I've switched these off before but only to see if I can turn off the system to ensure I don't sell too much power into the grid before PTO (fyi, still awaiting PTO and it's been 4 weeks since installation/inspection)
3) Breakers are connected to this "PV Disconnect" -- the box is designed so that I can only open it when in the off position. I have never tried turning this off to open up the box
4) PV Disconnect connects to the Gateway -- haven't messed with this yet

This shutdown issue aside, it's great to be completely off-grid with energy to spare while blasting AC during this nasty heatwave in NY.

Attachments

• 01 Inverter.jpg
    01 Inverter.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 02 Breakers.jpg
    02 Breakers.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 03 PVdisconnect.jpg
    03 PVdisconnect.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 04 Gateway.jpg
    04 Gateway.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: kairojya
Not sure I know how to locate this e-stop. Posting some photos to see if anyone can help:

2) Inverter connects to these breakers -- I've switched these off before but only to see if I can turn off the system to ensure I don't sell too much power into the grid before PTO (fyi, still awaiting PTO and it's been 4 weeks since installation/inspection)
3) Breakers are connected to this "PV Disconnect" -- the box is designed so that I can only open it when in the off position. I have never tried turning this off to open up the box

This shutdown issue aside, it's great to be completely off-grid with energy to spare while blasting AC during this nasty heatwave in NY.
Looks like your e-stop is jumpered out. See short red wire connecting two positions on grey terminal in bottom left of first photo. I doubt you have the button.

Uh

1) they did not wire a button to the inverter, the lower left have the jumper cable i pictured a couple post back
4) Any big red button leading out of the gateway? My guess is they did not install one

Your options if you want to try to help confirm our options
1) installer mode disabled/enabled
2) stop system button on the portal (I think available in customer mode)
3) remove the jumper wire(one terminal is fine), wait a min, reinsert the jumper wire (the inverter one)
”Stop System” button is available in the customer side of the gateway/inverter local web UI. I’ve used it before, but I can’t recall exactly what it did.

I know that I see the system presented differently in the Tesla app (iOS) when I use either of the 3 options. In some cases I see a warning/error message over top of the Powerwall image that says to check the breakers to the Powerwalls. In other cases the Powerwalls are presented as online but with 0% SoE.
  1. Open my AC disconnect (i.e. turn off the main PV breaker)
  2. Turn off the toggle switch on the right side of both of my Powerwalls (this is what I’ve been doing to avoid exporting excess solar production to the grid before PTO)
  3. Open either/both of my 2-pole breakers for my Powerwalls
  4. Use the e-stop/RSD switch
Perhaps I need to try each of these again and notate the differences. I’ve yet to find a way to just turn off the PV side, such that I could leave the Powerwall(s) on in backup/standby mode.

Argh was on the phone with Tesla so I wasn't paying attention to the installer screen....

Yesterday I did a Disabled/Enabled which was backup by 11:47 (documented here post #96) which i was guess would reset my dip from 9-10am to 11:47am

today the curve at 11:45 show a drop to 3.4kw and bottoms out to 2.8kw which is my 3.8kw inverter still producing
at 11:55 it climbed back up to 4.2kw (which indicates both inverters producing). and 10kw+ by 12:00pm
so either clouds passed by right at that time and drop my production (possible 12:21 now and the clouds drop it to 3.1) or I had a inverter self-test right at that 24 hours timer. But checking the weather sat cloud view didn't support there was enough cloud to drop it to that level compared to now
SO SO wish i was looking at the installer screen to confirm

So that tentatively on my 1 (iffy) case, supports that there appears to be a 24 hours self-test timer of the last self-test.

Conflicting data was that @darryllee used the stop button but that did not "reset" his 24 hours dip timer.

Last edited:

Step 5, page 32. This is for the gateway but the button is the same and operate under the same principle. This is actually how @bryan995 is wired

Also see three attached for the mci
Hey yeah, I looked at the Powerwall 2 manual as well as this:

My reading on the Solar Shutdown Device is that it's part of an automated system that triggers on "Loss of AC power". So it's not a manual shut-off. OHHHH, I just had a thought. If it was tied to the breaker for my system, then it ought to trigger a shutdown when I flip that breaker.

So on the side of my Backup Gateway, I have this sticker:

IMG_4525.JPG

The "switches" in this box are the main breaker, and a breaker for the solar system.

I guess tonight I will try flipping that and leaving it off for a few minutes and see if that actually "stops" the inverter. I'm pretty sure I tried this before, and my Powerwall kept it up and running. Perhaps I should use the web-based STOP SYSTEM to stop that first.

Conflicting data was that @darryllee used the stop button but that did not "reset" his 24 hours dip timer.
To clarify - I do not have a physical stop button. If you're talking about the STOP SYSTEM button in the web UI (pictured below), then yes, clicking that during the evening didn't do me any good the next day. I still got a self-test in the middle of the day:

1628790399730.png

Hey yeah, I looked at the Powerwall 2 manual as well as this:

My reading on the Solar Shutdown Device is that it's part of an automated system that triggers on "Loss of AC power". So it's not a manual shut-off. OHHHH, I just had a thought. If it was tied to the breaker for my system, then it ought to trigger a shutdown when I flip that breaker.

So on the side of my Backup Gateway, I have this sticker:

View attachment 695729
The "switches" in this box are the main breaker, and a breaker for the solar system.

I guess tonight I will try flipping that and leaving it off for a few minutes and see if that actually "stops" the inverter. I'm pretty sure I tried this before, and my Powerwall kept it up and running. Perhaps I should use the web-based STOP SYSTEM to stop that first.

you would need to be in installer mode to verify. I would suggest before sundown. PV string voltage reading should drop to below 10v within 30 seconds if a proper RSD was initiated.

Loss of AC power bit, I would say that's applicable for PV without PW but not applicable for PV with PW.... if the inverters completely lose AC power (or internal power from PW+) not about to completely power off the pw+ inverter I think it's what's causing our inability to reset the timer to a better time (unless the e-stop self testing reset it)

RSD works under the principle of continuous "ok to operate" message from the inverter through the PV line, if the inverter lose AC power they would stop converting DC to AC and stop sending the signal. a bit counter intuitive, but...........

If you saw my earlier attachment in post 106 (may need to zoom in on the pic to read), its a different version of the same MCI datasheet that listed different method for triggering RSD than "loss of AC power"

Last edited:
Your options if you want to try to help confirm our options
1) installer mode disabled/enabled
2) stop system button on the portal (I think available in customer mode)
3) remove the jumper wire(one terminal is fine), wait a min, reinsert the jumper wire (the inverter one)
question -- how are folks logging into the system outside the regular mobile app? from these discussions, looks like there's some sort of web portal I can use to access the system with customer vs. installer modes but I don't even know what that is or how to access.