Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily reset/shutdown of my Powerwall+ and/or Inverter after coolant top-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey - so I got my coolant topped off on Tuesday, and it seemed to fix the constant inverter over temperature errors that were causing me problems since my install in mid-May. System got powered on again around 10-11AM, and has been running great.

Except that around 10-11AM every day, as you can see from the screenshots below, there's maybe a 15-minute drop where them system is not producing. I keep forgetting to log on in Installer Mode to see if any alerts or errors (thanks a lot, v 21.20.2).

IMG_4482.PNG
IMG_4481.PNG
IMG_4480.PNG
IMG_4479.PNG
IMG_4478.PNG
IMG_4477.PNG
IMG_4476.PNG

I'm going to try power-cycling the whole system at the breaker tonight at midnight to see if that "moves" the downtime to a more convenient time. But it's still really annoying and weird.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4478.PNG
    IMG_4478.PNG
    129.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4481.PNG
    IMG_4481.PNG
    133 KB · Views: 85
Having similar problem with my system. Have an appt next Friday to get coolant checked. whats the method/ password to log in as installer to get more error details?
To log in as installer, change the drop-down to Installer instead of Customer, and put your email (or any email, AFAIK). The system will prompt you to toggle the power switch on your Powerwall to "log in". (Further evidence that that power switch is *NOT REALLY A POWER SWITCH AT ALL*.)

Anyways, that's it. I think I even tried forcing a configuration, but all it did prompt me to confirm existing settings, like my zip code, something something. But I just left it all alone.

What this means though is that anybody who can get physical access to your Powerwall+ / Inverter, open it up and see the gateway's SSID, can effectively log into your system. Thankfully (or regrettably) I don't think there's a ton of bad stuff that can be done in there.

Reactions: Tim-in-CA
Also @Tim-in-CA when you say similar problem, do you mean just the daily drop-out? Because that's nothing compared to what my coolant problem was at install:
1627941480354.png

The ambient temperature by 11AM that day (May 18, 2021) wasn't much more than 60ºF.

Logging onto the system as a Customer (before they hid the alerts), I would see the system throw the "Inverter Over Temperature" error repeatedly, requiring a full system reset and test-cycle. Hence my incredibly inefficient power generation.

So is that what you're seeing? Or just a single drop-out per day?

Also @Tim-in-CA when you say similar problem, do you mean just the daily drop-out? Because that's nothing compared to what my coolant problem was at install:
View attachment 691223
The ambient temperature by 11AM that day (May 18, 2021) wasn't much more than 60ºF.

Logging onto the system as a Customer (before they hid the alerts), I would see the system throw the "Inverter Over Temperature" error repeatedly, requiring a full system reset and test-cycle. Hence my incredibly inefficient power generation.

So is that what you're seeing? Or just a single drop-out per day?
I first was seeing one complete drop out with no PV generation for 15 min or so last week, and today seeing multiple generation dips just prior to a 45 min loss of generation. Not as bad as yours, but is getting progressively worse. Of course this is happening when I’m traveling so I can’t check anything out in installer mode

I see the same. The only reason mine does not drop to 0 is because I have two systems. One 8kW Tesla and one 4kw sunpower. The drop is from the Tesla inverter restarting, while the sunpower still continues to produce.

Attachments

• 321EE510-87EE-48E6-B12A-37F70CD4A607.png
    321EE510-87EE-48E6-B12A-37F70CD4A607.png
    208 KB · Views: 68
To log in as installer, change the drop-down to Installer instead of Customer, and put your email (or any email, AFAIK). The system will prompt you to toggle the power switch on your Powerwall to "log in". (Further evidence that that power switch is *NOT REALLY A POWER SWITCH AT ALL*.)

The enable switch is a power switch. It triggers an internal self powered relay which disconnects all ungrounded conductors from the ESS to the AC bus inside it.

Reactions: kairojya
I have a sneaking suspicion. Can all of you with this once a day dip post/correlate your time zone?
I am in san diego, PST. Strangely my drop out use to happen around 2-2:30pm. Then once the technicians came back to update and install soft-starts on the ACs, it now happens closer to 1pm? Though I need look closer here...

Today I will log into the TEG-XXX inverter and see if any error messages appear during the restart.

I'm going to try power-cycling the whole system at the breaker tonight at midnight to see if that "moves" the downtime to a more convenient time. But it's still really annoying and weird.

Thanks.
Bah. Flipping the breaker didn't shut the system down since (ha) I have a backup battery.

https://192.168.2.51/api/status is still reporting:
"start_time": "2021-07-27 23:17:15 +0800",
"up_time_seconds": "160h2m52.610397369s",

If that start_time is correct, then it last restarted Tuesday at 8:17AM PDT. Which... is 2 hours before the technician from Tesla came out to pull my inverter off the wall and top off the coolant. I suppose by coincidence I could have gotten a software update that morning.

When others gotten new firmware, did that start_time reset for you?

So then, I guess the question is, how can I really turn my Powerwall+ / Inverter off?

The enable switch is a power switch. It triggers an internal self powered relay which disconnects all ungrounded conductors from the ESS to the AC bus inside it.
What I meant Vines is that it's a soft-switch, not a hard power cut-off.

And I wonder if during the "Installer login" process, the switch does not trigger any relays, as I have not seen changes to power flow when I flip the switch to "log in".

• Informative
Reactions: Vines